Everything posted by donaldseadog
-
Forum software upgrade
HC scenarios, middle east checking now
-
Forum software upgrade
Haproon classis scenarios "custom" BS checked all OK.
-
Forum software upgrade
now doingclassic scenarios - 'custom'...........
-
Forum software upgrade
Now checking harpoon classic tools/mods/docs............... Done, last four broken and reported.
-
Forum software upgrade
OK I'll check harpoon classic battlesets......... Done and all OK.
-
Forum software upgrade
I'm assuming we have to press the "DOWNLOAD" button and so long as we get the normal save window with a file name its OK and we don't have to actually do the download? If this is correct I checked HCclassic databases and got a few missed links and reported broken.
-
File - Docs - Scenario Editor in Windows XP Mode
Can this be followed for Win 8, in particular is it known if Win 8 pro qualifies for legal XP Mode? I guess I could just plow along and see if it works (or I can break it )
-
smiley1081 Topic
Hi Emilio, If you have a look at the document 'scenario editor in widows XP mode' in the downloads section here you will get info on this.
-
Help Needed On What Hardware/Software Needed For Harpoon Classic
Up until a couple of months ago I was running an old laptop with celeron processor, 250 meg ram and it was fine for harpoon classic (a little slow with some of the very big scenarios running on time compression). A computer of those specs generally gets thrown out so you shouldn't have to pay much to get back on board. The latest harpoon package has two harpoon games classic and ANW. ANW didn't run well on my old machine until I found an additional 250 meg of ram (and it was just OK but could struggle) so if you get atleast 500 meg RAM that would be better. I'd try to get a reasonable sized screen so you can lay out your two main windows nice and large. I was using a 17" LED monitor (it was pretty cheap second hand) and I used my partners 19" work screen a couple of times - I'd recommend a screen around 17" - 19" depending on cost. Two screens (I used the laptop internal and the external screen together) is great as you can then expand the group and unit screens quite large.
-
Sub vs sub in the Norwegian Sea
I'm thinking that apart from books (mostly fiction) alike, detailed accounts of sub vs sub action are hard to come by. Do the Navy's manuals ever become de-classified?
-
Hints request
This can be time consuming but in some ways more flexible - you should get a message that the group is loitering this gives you a chance to decide what to do with them eg you might want to use them to attack some aircraft or act as target surveillance. The advisory message give the option of selecting the group, if you do that then press and hold the F3 key while mouse clicking the 1:1 (or 'continue') button you should go straight to the course editor before the computer has a chance to bombard you with other stuff, this lets you think about what you want the group to do and give appropriate orders. Very often a direct return to base isn't the best way home either.
-
Base Weapons
Using the latest HCDBxxxxxx database and any of the EC2003 or recent 'named' battlesets (eg WestPac) will give you maximum flexibility.
-
Hints request
I seem to remember last year that there was quite some effort that went into the torpedo issue and a work around was done by Brad (CV32) in the database. This is an improvement but maybe you wont' see it in the demo unless you can and do install the update database (I can't remember if you can use updated database in the demo). Any way good you're getting back and it sounds like you're having fun.
-
Harpoon 101
welcome... re where to unzip the scenarios, I like to have a sub folder of my main HCE folder named 'add_ons' (obviously the name isn't important) and within that sub folders for each 'battleset' (eg 'westpac', GIUK_2003, etc) and place my scenarios accordingly. As you might have seen there are a huge number of scenarios and so I find this arrangement makes it easier to keep track of which scenarios are for which battleset (if you have a good memory you can actually work that out from the file type but late at night this fails me:)). There are a quite a few basic scenarios in the game installation. Once you have mastered Westpac 1.0 (as mentionedby Tony) there are also simple scenarios at the start of the list in (the original) GIUK battleset. The download scenarios are mostly more complicated (though there are some simple ones). With the basic 'walk through' scenarios the orders (they appear as you open the file and can be had under the reports main menu) give a good idea of what to be doing and what to be looking out for. Before going to the download scenarios look up info on custom databases too, as you will need to organise youself with custom database (and updated standard database). The FAQs in General Quarters is a must and THIS is a good start before getting into download heaven. Also once you get into the download scenarios (and custom database) I'd suggest installing Tony's HCLauncher that you'll find in the tools section of the downloads. Don
-
File - SELaunch.zip
I just uploaded a new version of this tool which I now think is working reasonably well. If you have tried the previous version and use it this new one is much more streamlined, once setup its one click to start the program, one to select the database file and one to start the editor ... more time for scenario writing:) I made an error in the description, the (newly named) SELauncher doesn't need to be in the same folder as the GE, only the same folder as the SE. Obviously for win7 users that run the SE in a different machine (or virtual machine) they might not have a GE in their SE folder. PS the program now sets an ini file (thanks Tony for help here).
-
Forum software upgrade
Well I'd say after the shock I'm getting used to it quick enough. Definitely the larger text is great and so far I guess my reaction is "uncluttered" Just got to learn a slightly different layout I suppose .... now where are the downloads.. Filter by Forum feature !
-
Install Problem
I thought I'd remembered this: Recently got a new computer and had the same sort of thing, game would start OK from the standard game menu but not from the game program (winharp32.exe) its self or HCLauncher (my preferred method of starting the game). By setting the game program properties to 'run as administrator' it works as normal. I thought as I'm only using one logon (at the moment) that I was an administrator?? Beaten by the computer again:) Anyway up and running only to get thoroughly flogged by another one of VC32's scenarios:( I better go practice more......
-
File - WPac - Pearl Harbor Midget Submarine Action, Day of Infamy
Wow, yes, Sydney Harbor is a pixel or two wide even using the BattleSet Builder. Pearl Harbor is also a no-go, the following is about as good as I could do with the stock map in the BS Builder. Some where in a kind of dream I see a tool that lets the building of a custom map of a small geographical area that doesn't rely on the inbuilt wolrd map:)
- File - WPac - Pearl Harbor Midget Submarine Action, Day of Infamy
-
Back from Hawaii
You're such a romantic Tony, two weeks in close proximity to one of the world's major naval bases ... Mrs E is so lucky and don't say you didn't choose the location, I won't believe you
-
File - WPac - Running on Empty.zip
Man I'm still going with this one! I've had a couple of "user errors" (lol) that have held me back but even so there is plenty of action. I think I'm getting things under control now but still got a long way for those 'surprises' to pop up...... Thanks again for your time in throwing heaping this one together:)
-
Don's wishlist
27. An ability to effectively 'hide' enemy units amongst neutral units, for weapons to have a probability of hitting near objects if they miss their target and for neutral unit damage to be countable (for the opponents benefit) in the victory conditions. EG hide a patrol boat in a group of anchored neutral merchants and not show up as 'enemy' until some realistic happening, eg visual ID; locate a enemy building and shoulder SAM team amongst neutral buildings and not be IDed as enemy until weapon release (or what ever). Maybe just more difficulty in IDing as 'enemy' smaller generic type targets and a penalty for damage to a neutral?
-
Funding HarpGamer
but letting you starve won't help much:)
-
File - WPac - Running on Empty.zip
I won't say if there are DF-21's out there, all I will say is that there are some surprises that you don't see used very often I like scenarios up that area of the world, especially when they look tough to crack, thanks:)
-
File - SELaunch.zip
Glad to hear, I guess this is like having a first child:)