Everything posted by donaldseadog
-
Very basic introduction to .exe files
Well maybe something has come of this, I've posted up a zip file in the tools/mods download section containing my (first) Harpoon software tool. Its so simple it makes be giggle but I had fun doing it. Once I learn how to do ini files there will be a mod. I hope it encourages more scenario writing using some of the great custom databases that we have here. Thanks to Tony for putting up this thread and getting me thinking about all this.
-
File - SELaunch.zip
File Name: SELaunch.zip File Submitter: donaldseadog File Submitted: 29 Apr 2012 File Category: Tools/Mods/Docs A basic tool that lets you set a custom database (for post EC2003 battlesets) and launch the scenario editor without having to swap the main folder database file or hand write shortcuts. Other settings such as selecting the battleset and existing scenario are also available. IT should be unzipped into the main HCE/HUCE folder. Edit: version1.2 A minor change so that the scenario editor select window defaults to the folder in which the program exist, so place the program in the same folder as the Scenario editor (default is the main harpoon folder) Also a slight change in the program name to better indicate that it relates to the scenario editor. Edit version 3.0 A different layout so as to show all of the entered custom database files in one window and let you select the file with a simple mouse click. Data is now stored in an ini file so except for the initial use it is just point and click ... Edit version 4.1 File size reduced and changes to layout. Edit version 4.2 The window showing battlesets is taller to allow easier selection and scrolling. Click here to download this file
-
SELaunch.zip
- 742 downloads
- Version 4.2
A basic tool that lets you set a custom database (for post EC2003 battlesets) and launch the scenario editor without having to swap the main folder database file or hand write shortcuts. Other settings such as selecting the battleset and existing scenario are also available. IT should be unzipped into the main HCE/HUCE folder. Edit: version1.2 A minor change so that the scenario editor select window defaults to the folder in which the program exist, so place the program in the same folder as the Scenario editor (default is the main harpoon folder) Also a slight change in the program name to better indicate that it relates to the scenario editor. Edit version 3.0 A different layout so as to show all of the entered custom database files in one window and let you select the file with a simple mouse click. Data is now stored in an ini file so except for the initial use it is just point and click ... Edit version 4.1 File size reduced and changes to layout. Edit version 4.2 The window showing battlesets is taller to allow easier selection and scrolling. -
Sushi Sushi everywhere and not a bite to eat
Definitely worth a go, I finally got through to a win but with only a few hours to go - some nasty distractions slowed up my carrier group somewhat:) Hope you get time for more like this Clemens, thanks, Don
-
Russian air force tests new AAM
CV32: You can already find the AA-X-13 'Arrow' in the HCDB. That's our Brad, one step ahead:)
-
2011 Pooner voting!
Thanks to everyone and I hope to do my duty better this year Hard to do better I'd have thought, you've always been an inspiration mate, congratulations:)
-
Very basic introduction to .exe files
Well I downloaded the free visual basic package (and necessary O/S updates) and have been playing around for a while. I had to get the local library to bring in an interlibrary loan to give me a few more tips but it is an interesting alternative to book reading. One day I'll produce something, maybe...
-
HC Game Start
How does starting the GE from the command line/ HC launcher tie in with this? I almost always use your HC Launcher (which I understand is really a command line launch). Don
-
File - IOPG - Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence
I loved the movie, but found it very sad, I almost can't bring myself to play the scenario, ..almost.
-
Model tank tracks
INteresting & as they say "But one thing is clear: if you don't build a tracked vehicle and take it into battle, you'll never experience the fun of watching it roll into glory." .... but I think I have too many other thing to do
-
2011 Pooner voting!
I think he should be given some special award at any rate for his contribution to this community. He'll be much missed. Will there be a lifetime pooner? ( I haven't checked if Darren got that too) Don OOps, just read next year, good idea
-
The fate of RAAF F-111s
A sad end to an inspiring 'career'
-
Very basic introduction to .exe files
Definitely a yes on the first question. MS did a very good job on the free versions, with the caveat that they can't be used for commercial work (iirc) and thus some good third party tools don't work with the Express editions. If you get the whole shebang, you have all the compilers supported, if you get the C/C++ package, you only have the C/C++ compiler, ditto with the C# package. You can choose what to install or not at setup time. C is not much like Pascal, but that said, shouldn't be that foreign. In the C family of language (C/C++/Objective C to name those), you can work quite close to the metal, and do manual management of memory, while Pascal was intended as a learning language if I remember correctly (it's been a very long time since I used the latter). C# is not really part of that family of language, beyond some syntactic resemblances, as it runs in a virtual machine, like Java and other modern high level languages. Plethora of online texts and intros on all those languages, as well as plenty of example code in the form of tutorials not too mention the plethora of open source programs out there that can serve as learning examples (of both what to do and not what to do while coding, but i digress ) Hope that helps ! Thanks, that makes it look worth having a play, think the C++ package might be the go. Don
-
Very basic introduction to .exe files
Are the 'free' cut downs of visual studio worth downloading for a play? I think I can get some intro texts for these common languages (at least basic, and I might still have a basic for dos text some where). I seem to remember C is a bit like pascal which I used at Uni so I assume C++ & C# wouldn't be totally foreign. Do you need a separate compiler compatible with VS? Don
-
XKCD - The General Problem
I only understand less than a half, but thanks your very much, Tony ! Maybe like salt, a generalized plugggable sensor model has possible side effects? Improved ESM sounds pretty palatable
-
Very basic introduction to .exe files
Thanks for putting this up, I'll have to connect some speakers but will be back. Don Things have changed in 35 years, I didn't catch whether windows visual studio was looking at the source code file and the compiled program or if you were actually writing the C code in windows visual studio and it sent it off to the compiler?
-
File - HCE Clear Game Options Registry Settings
And don't forget all the custom database and scenarios in the download section. Harpoon Classic rules:)
-
HCE Release Notes
I'm assuming upto 9999 game saves per rotation? Otherwise what is the first '0' for? Don
-
Hurricane Katria and the HFSWR
So did you do any rock fishing???
-
2011.011 Release Notes
Yep, I've given up after seeing the end of the scenario about 5 times. I await the return of Enrique who I note appears to be having a holiday, and I thought he said he never rested from work I think the adjustable -S flag will be quite helpful. Don
-
Staff Assistant Issues
I'm still playing with this but haven't a suitable test save. This is what I've observed: blue group comprising one DDG with one helo flying in a formation sector. Plane flies in from a nearby enemy carrier. Now for the alternatives: Group radars are all (air and surface) set on. result = no problem. Group radars are set air search only on. result = get turn on radar message. Group radars are all set on but a second helo is sent into formation patrol. result get message. My conclusion is that every available radar of the group must be active if there is a detected aircraft within AAM range or the message comes up (every 2 minutes game time). So I'd think before fixing this we need to decide what we want to happen. Maybe if the air unit is being detected by an active radar of the player (by any group) we should be happy, perhaps it needs to be detected by any radar of the group concerned. Perhaps we might think that if there is at least one air contact there might be more and we should have every AS radar on? I'd like to to be able to set my radars as I want and so long as there is no ESM only detected plane within range and I have an air search radar fix sufficient that my auto AAMs will fire I'd like to not get THE MESSAGE. What do people think? Don
-
2011.010 Release Notes
confirm nuke missile hit test game runs without crash 2009.063 Don
-
2011.010 Release Notes
re 'sides' version ge 2011.10, in the message window when playing both red and blue we get the respective messages with 'red' 'blue' tags. Both messages appear irrespective of which side's group window is active, is this correct or should we only be seeing the messages for the acitve group window side? Don
-
2011.011 Release Notes
Any idea if we can just let the game keep going or do we need to start a new game if teh red subs haven't stalled after sy 25 game minutes? I assume from how you set it up that we can just let it run. It seems to be working, certainly saving every second, but so far no stalled subs. Don
-
File - Custom - Spratley
My Aussie sub was in Singapore, and had no hope of reaching the area in time to confront the Chinese. I intended the collins class Rankin to appear 100% in the group at anchor proximate Spratley. As I can't tell if that is the case from the scenario I might redo it to guarantee its presence and re-post. Don