Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

HarpGamer

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

donaldseadog

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by donaldseadog

  1. The latest version is up tonight. I've made sure in the StartGroup tab the unit information includes magazine content and mount (including mount ammo) where such exist. This should help test the custom data base for those errors. If people will use this often, and would find it easier, the units list can be changed to a straight list of all current units independant of their group. It requires that you write a scenario including the units you want to check. It could also be altered so as to list all units with in the database (I think) but that would be quite long so perhaps not best. This hasn't been thoroughly tested so let me know if you see suspicious data. Don
  2. I did a quick calculation in my head while feeding the horses assuming that 5Gs for more than a couple of seconds was a limit for the pilot (no idea just a guess) and I think I came up with 10 secs to do a 180 deg turn at 500 kts. (If I remember) This led me to think that the ATA values might be fine for things like dog fights and missile avoidance or for larger aircraft but not for big turns, a bit like you're saying Enrique
  3. With the new abilities provided by Tony via the exportDLL functions I've recently pondered how can we level the playing field a bit for poor old AI? Any ideas? What do people see as AI's short comings?
  4. Do ATA values take into account pilots G force capability? ONce an aircraft is sufficiently agile this would be the limiting factor wouldn't it.
  5. Only in part, firstly the writer can only program attacks on targets known at game start such as bases and secondly can only specify the make up of the attacks and the time. These attacks therefore are always straight line and fairly predictable eg I used to start a scenario by looking at the 'expected' air assets of all the basis to guess where strikes would emanate, these days I try not to make use of that sort of thing - ditto I like to play without the range rings on for the enemy as it gives me information I shouldn't really have at least initially. Good scenarios will have some enemy patrols set up to spots where they are likely to detect ships etc and once detected they will usually attack. These are less predictable especially first time you play the game or if well thought out variable start positions have been used. Also the AI may actually put together its own strike, so slightly smart, in fact if you ever get a large group attacking you in one of my scenarios it was the AI that did it which brings up an interesting (to me) question, how many scenario writers program large group strikes? it also brings up a question I've recently pondered (with the new abilities provided by Tony voa the exportDLL functions) how can we level the playing field a bit at least for poor old AI? Any ideas?
  6. I think a very important thing to come to light (for me) is CV32's appraisal of the AI attack with big numbers ie it is our best available simulation of a real life attack by a number of groups approaching with varied timing, vector and altitude. To me this really gives justice to AI using this approach, and as it would be very hard (if possible) to code AI to 'think' better I'm quite happy to accept it. On the other hand the player is capable of splitting the attack and this is how I approach it. One thing it teaches the player is the need for very good screening, and that seems pretty realistic. Perhaps the biggest problem here is actually that if the player does a very good job of screening the AI looses a huge number of assets. I guess in part this is why many scenario writers give (under brained) AI a healthy asset advantage at the start?
  7. Maybe its not a case of determining the probability of detecting an aircraft but the probability of not detecting any? eg if the probabilty of detecting a single aircraft is 10% that's 0.1 and the probability of not detecting one aircraft is 0.9 if there are two aircraft the probability of not detecting any is 0.9 * 0.9 (if I remember stats correctly) = 0.81 thus the probability of detecting at least one is 0.19 (18%)? but this is assuming that one plane can't fly in another's 'shadow' which I assume comes down to if the aircraft have an radiation (radar emission) absorbing or scattering effect? Its modern physics that's all an unknown to me so I'm hypothesising.
  8. In keeping with the Harpoon strong point of realism, I'd guess its gets a bit hard to 'guess' a rule. EG the formation in which the planes fly will give different radar profiles. I guess some of our database gurus (gurie?) can have a stab. Also how frequent would a group comprising a very large number of planes be used in reality, if not really then maybe a high detection probability would be good to deter this in game play? This might also mean that AI would have to get some update tuition on building strikes.
  9. Some of the stuff is handy and within the standard game not in the one readily available window. A bit of an RSI problem has slowed me up a bit, and I'm going thru existing parts of the toolbox to use the annex information to finish off functions, but then I might get onto a report type readout.
  10. To edit the staff message you select the group the message is applied to, then under "orders2" / "edit group orders" you can do it. You need to know the group or go thru them one by one.
  11. with scheduled strikes, I think one other problem is that AI might decide to take some action on its own and re-arm or use the planes you need for your strike meaning they go in with less than desirable assets. I think you need to have a large number the required planes and play a few trial games with ctr-alt-s operating to see how it is going. I seem to recall having had to amend staff reminders and that you can't amend them but it might be (I don't remember for certain) that you can delete them all - however I might be mixing up with repeat air launch. I'll try to remember to have a look if I can find something.
  12. TonyE's latest additions to the exportDLL capability has meant that we can get quite a large amount information from the database in use. I've added to the start group page/tab so as to dump some of this for any unit selected from the unit list of a selected group. This will allow certain functions in my ToolboxDLL to be overhauled for better accuracy/ simulation and undoubtedly more functions developed.
  13. Adding to what Tony said, I think you need to give the AI side plenty of planes of the type you have used for the scheduled attacks or AI seems to 'steal' them for theiown ideas. One things you can do is use 'see all' power key alt ctrl s to see what the AI is doing (it spoils the game) then think about how you can alter your scenario to achieve your goals.
  14. lets hope he can do something worth while with it
  15. This tool is in a somewhat basic state but I feel still helpful. I would like to shift to some other 'stuff' so haven't developed it further but I'd very much appreciate any suggestions on extra data that would be good to accumulate, although I can't guarantee I'll be able to do it.
    • 205 downloads
    • Version 1..6.3
    Requires HC version 2017.013 - 2022.027 Including Matrix patch 2022.027 Recent versions to run in latest beta game versions make use of further data now available to export.DLL files. AARdata.dll is an add-on program that is activated by copying the file into the exportDLL sub-folder of Harpoon installation. To uninstall, just remove the file to another folder, change the .dll file type name or delete the file. The DLL will produce at the close of a game or game session a txt file AARdata-(battleset file name)(scenario number).txt. (Scenario number for custom scenarios is '0'). Within the txt file the report is made up of titled sections providing: Scenario information, Initial Start information, Time information for each session of play Detailed game log messages in time order List of units destroyed for each side in summary and in detail List of damaged units at time of game close and List of changes to game time compression. New: When you start a scenario from its beginning, if the AARdata file for that scenario exists, it will be firstly deleted so the report is cleared of information from previous games, AARdata.dll file version is listed in the Initial Start data. Victory Events log summary added Player Side added to Initial Start info section Latest version (requiring latest Beta game versions) tracks stores expended over the course of playing the scenario thru multiple sessions. After going to the effort of producing and sharing a HC scenrio it's very nice to see some one has gone to the trouble of producing an AAR, itself requiring quite a bit of effort. I hope this tool will help those people who already bless us with AARs, and encourage more people to share their action with us all. Don Thomas.
  16. View File AARdata_DLL Requires HC version 2017.013 - 2022.027 Including Matrix patch 2022.027 Recent versions to run in latest beta game versions make use of further data now available to export.DLL files. AARdata.dll is an add-on program that is activated by copying the file into the exportDLL sub-folder of Harpoon installation. To uninstall, just remove the file to another folder, change the .dll file type name or delete the file. The DLL will produce at the close of a game or game session a txt file AARdata-(battleset file name)(scenario number).txt. (Scenario number for custom scenarios is '0'). Within the txt file the report is made up of titled sections providing: Scenario information, Initial Start information, Time information for each session of play Detailed game log messages in time order List of units destroyed for each side in summary and in detail List of damaged units at time of game close and List of changes to game time compression. New: When you start a scenario from its beginning, if the AARdata file for that scenario exists, it will be firstly deleted so the report is cleared of information from previous games, AARdata.dll file version is listed in the Initial Start data. Victory Events log summary added Player Side added to Initial Start info section Latest version (requiring latest Beta game versions) tracks stores expended over the course of playing the scenario thru multiple sessions. After going to the effort of producing and sharing a HC scenrio it's very nice to see some one has gone to the trouble of producing an AAR, itself requiring quite a bit of effort. I hope this tool will help those people who already bless us with AARs, and encourage more people to share their action with us all. Don Thomas. Submitter donaldseadog Submitted 08/17/2015 Category Tools/Mods/Docs  
  17. HE he, but its hard Tony when the 'step to reproduce' is 'run it' I'd had the same problem (but was away all weekend) Some times I think computers just like you Tony, that's why only we have the problem. Going good again now.
  18. pointer to raw game structure seems fine to me if that is a lot less work. In at least some cases it also lets you manipulate the game so there's an advantage? I'm working on a warning for ships grounding and looking at some interaction with neutrals but after that I'm thinking about having a go at replenishments and restricting munitions for aircraft loadouts. I think the replenishment and aircraft loadouts is the only matter that would justify much effort on your part, and I suspect we'd need access to at least some DB annex to do it. The fuel to offload addition did wonders and I'm now happy enough with what I've done - if there was a clamouring for selectively refuelling individual units or tankers that have run the refuel cells dry then I'd ask for more
  19. I'm getting a start on this. What are you looking for in terms of capabilities? I'm looking at dumping the commondb.res file (the platform database part of it anyway) either to an xml file or a SQLite database but your input is welcome and may well push me to an entirely different solution. Did this progress Tony? I'm thinking about what project I might do next and if an ability to look at the 'current in use' data base has passed me by I'd like to know. Looking at weapon stuff would be good as I'm wondering about whether it is time to look at replenishments and restricting aircraft load out munitions.
  20. Yes, it was a good guess. A little more tinker and test and I"ll upload it.
  21. In my test program at home the way I'm going at the moment is to "allocate" a quantity of refuel supply to the tanker carrying it. This seems to be working OK. It means that say a pair of F14 in tanker load out can get further than their normal ~ 1500 nm with the corresponding loss of available refuel. I'm purely guessing that a tanker can pump fuel from the refuel tanks to their own tanks to burn in their own engines. Good guess or bad?
    • 546 downloads
    • Version LazGUI_extn v 2.3
    old zip version 5 will run in GE v 2017.05 -2022.027 and in Matrix Patch 2022.027 version 2.1.2.1 requires beta 2023.004+ latest version 2.3 requires GE version 2025.018 to run properly This is a modification of TonyE's lazGUI.dll. It isn't a tool for game play per se but for those interested it does expose some of the game internals. It adds for certain selected event types an automatic game pause when they are queued by the main program and showing information regarding the respective event. It provides certain information not seen in the game but useful for better understanding game operation. It includes game/scenario/database information handy to provide with reports to HarpGamer. Examples of Database information is given for units selected from group list. Included is for group selected or Unit selected the UUID. Within Start Group you have the ability to 'destroy' groups and units, should you wish to remove them from the game for testing reasons. NOTE THIS CAN CAUSE A GAME CRASH so always save the game before such action. There are various buttons DRONE, KING which alter the loaded database annexes for selected groups as a bit of a giggle and a trial of early annex manipulation. During start up the message is shown indicating if you are starting a new scenario, a follow on session of a saved game or a saved game out of sequence, ie you've not opened the saved game that you had last run. If you are running add-on AARData then a table of stores consumed by each side, both general and aircraft by home unit are shown. The size and position of the consul is retained for next game start, the information held in the file 'LAZGExtn.xml' in the HUCE folder.
  22. View File lazGUIdll_ext aka AI_window old zip version 5 will run in GE v 2017.05 -2022.027 and in Matrix Patch 2022.027 version 2.1.2.1 requires beta 2023.004+ latest version 2.2.1.33 requires GE version 2025.018 to run properly This is a modification of TonyE's lazGUI.dll. It isn't a tool for game play per se but for those interested it does expose some of the game internals. It adds for certain selected event types an automatic game pause when they are queued by the main program and showing information regarding the respective event. It provides certain information not seen in the game but useful for better understanding game operation. It includes game/scenario/database information handy to provide with reports to HarpGamer. Examples of Database information is given for units selected from group list. Included is for group selected or Unit selected the UUID. Within Start Group you have the ability to 'destroy' groups and units, should you wish to remove them from the game for testing reasons. NOTE THIS CAN CAUSE A GAME CRASH so always save the game before such action. There are various buttons DRONE, KING which alter the loaded database annexes for selected groups as a bit of a giggle and a trial of early annex manipulation. During start up the message is shown indicating if you are starting a new scenario, a follow on session of a saved game or a saved game out of sequence, ie you've not opened the saved game that you had last run. If you are running add-on AARData then a table of stores consumed by each side, both general and aircraft by home unit are shown. The size and position of the consul is retained for next game start, the information held in the file 'LAZGExtn.xml' in the HUCE folder. Submitter donaldseadog Submitted 07/19/2015 Category Tools/Mods/Docs  
  23. I'm interested if people know the 'in reality' situation, can some aero-tankers accept fuel from other tankers and if so which ones? While harpoon doesn't do this, if it occurs in reality then I can add the function to an 'advanced' refuel control (via an exportDLL library) the catch being that I'll need to include data within the dll regarding what can be refuelled. I'm guessing the likes of super hornets in tanker loadout would be able to refuel from larger tankers and thus provide a further top up for an accompanied strike group without the large vulnerable tanker going into contested air space.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.