Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

HarpGamer

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

donaldseadog

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by donaldseadog

  1. If you get to the point where you're tearing out your hair, ctrl-alt-s will let you see all the enemy, at least you then know what was going on but it pretty much destroys the game challenge. Hope you stick around and have fun, you might have some good tips for handling subs
  2. In my toolbox utilising the export DLL functions I'm currently playing with reassigning targets of anti surface missiles and also capturing and repairing bases . I'm wondering if people have thoughts on these actions - or if I should just proceed for my own amusement (which is significant, it has me laughing frequently like the time I captured a ship with a whale) Don
  3. If the whole if the database info is available that would be pretty cool. As to how it is easiest to use I bow to your choice.
  4. And for when you really get into it, TonyE (modest fellow that he is) forgot to mention his tool: HCLauncher found in the downloads. It removes the need to chop and change the databasefile in the main folder, as well as much more
  5. I assume the worst case is the game engine sits forever as it now stands but we can build battlesets, scenarios, database and exportDLL addons just as has been done in the past? Best case I'd think looks like what Tony described with he and Brad given free reins, and if I think about game advancements in the last say 5 years (where I guess they have had certain restrictions) then that looks pretty good. I guess an outcome closer to the 'best' than the 'worst' is going to take a fair effort on our part...
  6. David, also have a look here : tactics
  7. If you are after the functions in "Toolbox" then you need to get the latest file from: http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?/files/file/809-toolbox/ and put the zipped DLL into the exportDLL folder of your installation. The toolbox should appear when you start the game, you will need a recent beta main program. Is this what you are after?
  8. Eek, more work, but then heeee heeeee.
  9. The latest version 1.2.5 should have a useful 'cover' command operating to allow better 'manual' air group anti submarine operation. Once you have an exact fix on an enemy submarine unit you can select a nearby air group and set a course to approximately the submarine location and within the course editor give either a loiter/hover command or attack command. While the air group is approaching the target select the 'cover' command in the attack window of toolbox and the air group will proceed to the exact current location of the selected submarine unit then carry out the loiter/hover or attack command you selected. If you select hover/loiter then you can make a judgement as to whether you are close enough to drop a torpedo or if you wish to wait for an existing torpedo to continue its run. In the case of a fast moving target you may wish to re use the 'cover' command. Note if you have used the standard attack command not within the course editor then the GE will override the course that 'cover' has created and carry out a normal attack. Other than putting together some better documentation on use I don't expect to be making any substantial changes (unless bugs are uncovered) to the toolbox at the moment.
  10. Many thanks to Pak for reporting the (very strange) bug in the 'join' function. A new toolbox is uploaded and the problem should be fixed and the join function slightly tweeked in other respects. Very pleased to hear feedback so the more people testing it the better. Once more refined functions are well tested ideas on the general layout would be a step forward I think. I'd forgotten to mention that toobox requires (as at version 1.2.4) GE version 2009.95 and the latest beta GE will always be preferable. I think TonyE did pretty well overtaking an air base, the best I've done to date are mobile land units.
  11. Hehe, the short answer is I noticed this a few days back and seem to have now got it back on track but need to tidy up before I can load up the fix. Silly answer = its a reward for using my Toolbox. Long answer, I couldn't for the life of me see what was wrong and stripped the function right back and re worked it. I've actually sorted out another problem, introduced a new problem (these relate to the way joining works) and lost the function that carried over previous course orders to the joined group - but I think I can get that back in. I've had a few distractions at home so I'm not sure when it will be quite back to where I thought it was I hope to have the basic fix up tonight (Sydney time).
  12. An interesting problem with my toolbox when playing in a large IOPG 2003 scenario (not found it so far in other battlesets), the 'join' command - once the groups join - produces a new group out of thin air with 255 aircraft as a bonus for using this tool . needless to say I'm trying to track down this unintentional player advantage.
  13. I'm sure i've seen this but only when I've tried to attack and nothing has happened, never figured out what triggers it so I don't know how to use it advantageously. Looking forward to to hearing more
  14. Actually a whole lot seems backwards about group joining to me now that we've gone through the exercise of making it happen from a DLL. It feels like the wrong group entirely gets absorbed. And putting it as a course event, having to ensure the group with the future events remains (or you loose the events). It is clever in some ways though, fiddling with allowable speeds (if only it took the 'absorbing groups' throttle setting ) and I was surprised not to crash the GE by removing aircraft before join but after setting up the join (but not thoroughly tested so maybe still an issue here - I guess joining was never set up with delayed action in mind). Mcuh further down the track, when we have database access (at least for speeds/throttle) I think work arounds will solve all the issues I can see at present and in any case it is functional if you know the limits. I have the joining now operating with an optional stationary group2 (group1 goes to group2, group1 can retain its next destination) but need to tidy it up a bit and think further about problems if group1 has a speed changing event at its next destination (as it mightn't be applicable to the new group).
  15. Any one ever notice how when two air groups are joined the resulting group takes up the throttle of the 'absorbed' group, this is so frustrating ha such is life. Having ago at some work a rounds for this with the auto joining in the toolbox DLL.as I'm currently extending the function so that one group may be loitering. If people have any questions or comments on operation please let us know, there are bound to be glitches all through it, goodness knows I find them all the time
  16. I haven't had time to sort out a proper report (and don't have a scenario editor running at the moment) but today using 2009.95 GE the old gremlin of strike aircraft proceeding to the target after missile launch to strafe with canon returned (to loss of many aircraft ) If no one beats me to it I'll try to put a show together and report. PS the strafing did work by the way.
  17. Also started playing with changing sides, two different applications: Capturing an enemy this is working but a little primitive as we can't access load out or weapon data to give an aggressors power but based on damage points and distance it is working 'for fun' standard; Political change: a scenario with neutrals of significant power , what if they turn to the enemy side? This adds a new element. Rudimentary this is working so I think I'll make it a random possibility and in a separate DLL so the player can choose before game start to include it or not. Tony's latest additions to the DLL capability means more time on some of the basic stuff so these will be awhile away (unless people say they'd like this toy).
  18. Currently working on splitting a selected number of aircraft from a selected unit. In this case group AFA comprises two fighter (AF00) ~15 mile ahead of the 4 strikers (AF01) at the group centre - both units flying vlow - and two further fighters (AF02) flying high and ~15 mile astern with intermittent radar. An incoming interceptor has just been detected and with a few mouse clicks I will split off one of the forward fighters to defend against the enemy interceptor. The strike formation was formed from a strike group comprising 4 each F18s and F111s, once air borne two F18s were split of then joined back to the original group, then the off set feature of the toolbox was used to push one fighter unit ahead and one astern and each units altitude set as desired. Note the AEW doing a couple of circles of home base with intermittent radar - set up using the AEW patrol function.
  19. HE he, I'm a bit slow. A bit of tidy up needed but maybe 24 hrs , also working on polishing the ASW patrol (which now drops sonar bouys if available) but maybe I'll do it separate.
  20. If you're interested but not a current programmer, I tell you its easier than you might think.
  21. Looks like August is a good month
  22. It stumbles with lack of bouy drops or dipping sonar but if your aircraft is MAD equipped I've gotten some OK results. The IDE is pretty easy to use saying that as someone who hasn't produced code for >30 years and has forgotten the little I knew. There is lots of scope for getting this nailed I think. ...and with more experienced people at it I think Tony might find more time to add to the exportDLL capability
  23. I tend to prioritise maintaining contact and keeping my surface units at a safe distance. If I have enough air units I use two at a time but not if that stops keeping reserves to bring out as fuel is exhausted. I tend not to use air units to "attack" from out of torpedo range but to set a course for the centre of the uncertainty region or to the exact fix (if I have it). If I have an exact fix I head for a mile or so astern then set a two path course overrunning the sub then back track, as I cruise over the sub if I have sonar bouys I drop them either side and on top and also drop a torpedo right on top. If I have two units I'll set one loitering or hovering over the sub and manually up date its position or I might "attack" with it from outside the torpedo range but cancel its torpedo launches (unless it is dead over the top of an exact fix). If I don't ahve an exact fix I usually set up a square based pattern around and then through the uncertainty region and manually drop bouys or set dipping sonar - if I'm lucky my search unit has MAD. If I can maintain an exact fix I can usually drop torps right ontop and either sink or force to surface most subs without using a whole arsenal. If I loose the fix then more often than not she gets away so having a helo or getting a good coverage of sonar bouys is very helpful. The work Tony is doing giving teeth to the export DLL function might soon be able to let us write an external procedure for automating these currently manual ASW hunting methods. EG a helo to maintain position over a sub and drop bouys, dipping sonar to maintain an exact fix would be nice, so to an over fly and back track with torp drop dead on the nose ( or just in front) of the sub.
  24. I'm going to take a guess that CV32 is right, I used sneak view (ctrl alt S) to turn off all the enemy SS radar then went VLOW and got no detection warning.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.