Everything posted by donaldseadog
-
Don's wishlist
(I'll restart my numbering I think), 1. When the assistant comes up to advise a new contact, I'd like to see the new contact on the unit and group windows (behind the assistant window) before dismissing the assistant. 2. I'd like to be able to set a group to "shadow" an enemy group. 3. In scenario editor, when editing a group I'd like to see the % prob. of the units. Also when editing group events (eg launch aircraft) I'd like to see the details for repeat launches. 4. When instigating an air intercept from the new contact window I'd like to be able to somewhere override the current speed of each group chosen for intercept. I'd also like to be able to both come back to 1:1 time compression and fill in the intercept option. Don (never satisfied) Thomas 5. When assistant advises a new contact, have the option of selecting your group that made the contact. 6. Air intercepts, be able to select for intercept a group (or unit) that already has an assigned target. They are sometimes to close for comfort to the new contact and I'd like to either/both fire something at them or get out quick. 7. When intercepting (generally from the new contact advice window) and selecting a unit form a multi unit group, I'd like the option of splitting the unit from the group - eg fighters escorting bombers. 8. anything that reduces any type of micro management- I love this game for it's stategy realism, it makes me the Admiral (yehhh!!!) Running an air to air attack or short range bombing run, navigating ships through narrow straights etc can be left to some lowly dog captain, I want the big stuff. (hope I didn't step on any captain's toes, I haven't done that for 30 years but I still remember they yelp pretty loud). Don. (is very picky) 9. Separate zoom buttons for group and unit windows. (maybe shift Z and shift X for unit window) I get tired of tabbing from one to the other to change zoom setting. 10. In staff options (or somewhere) toggle the bingo warning from on to auto return to base. (maybe for each group in perhaps course editor). 11. When a new contact is reported an option to select your detecting group and option to come to real time if intercept option is taken. 13. Planes ask to return to base or (better) course editor after completing attack (instead of loiter) 14. ship's officer of watch pencil in location of stationary items like mines (when they are detected) so that you don't blunder into them just because you lost contact. Even if they go yellow in a small trapazoid that would be OK. 15. (maybe) A real time limit switch so that I get to bed tonight instead of tomorrow morning Don.
-
Bases Loaded (HCWW BS)
- 286 downloads
Another WWII type scenario. Requires minimum HCWW 090917. Various bases and surface groups for both sides attempting to reinforce/ destroy new bases. -
File - WPac - Bases Loaded (HCWW BS)
File Name: Bases Loaded (HCWW BS) File Submitter: donaldseadog File Submitted: 24 Sep 2009 File Updated: 5 Feb 2011 File Category: WestPac DB Used: HCWW 090917 Authors: don thomas Battleset-WPac: .scq - WPac - WestPac Another WWII type scenario. Requires minimum HCWW 090917. Various bases and surface groups for both sides attempting to reinforce/ destroy new bases. Click here to download this file
-
File - WPac - backup
File Name: backup File Submitter: donaldseadog File Submitted: 1 Sep 2009 File Category: WestPac DB Used: HCWW-090825 Authors: don thomas Battleset-WPac: .scq - WPac - WestPac Using database HCWW-090825 (or more recent) this is off the north east coast of Australia and edging into the Pacific giving another chance to play with the new database of WWs ships etc dodging around the islands. Don Thomas Click here to download this file
-
backup
- 201 downloads
Using database HCWW-090825 (or more recent) this is off the north east coast of Australia and edging into the Pacific giving another chance to play with the new database of WWs ships etc dodging around the islands. Don Thomas -
2009.037 Release Notes
I've posted in issue tracker (#128) a test which indicates inability to shoot with aircraft cannon an air target that is in formation patrol about a surface group or land base. Don thomas
-
Scenario-specific database?
Sorry I can't help but I like the idea of a small specific database for a scenario (especially something a little out of ordinary). Would be nice if we could copy between databases (without needing other programs and knowhow of using them) Hope someone comes up with the answer. Don Thomas
-
2009.037 Release Notes
Fixed for 2009.040, don't bother with the Issue Tracker this time. Gee, go away for a week and every one else gests all the fun Don,
-
Angles Of Attack, An A-6 Intruder Pilot's War
Still on a Midway kick I see. Deary me youngins, I think I'll stick to something I understand, Horatio Hornblower (CS Forester), three deckers and broadsides, it was so simple back then.
-
2009.037 Release Notes
I've done some tests indicating a possible loss of ground to air defence in beta 2009.039 & 2009.037 compared to release 2009.036. The test with problem result is in EC2003 GUIK, a very similar scenario in EC2000 GUIK showed no problems. Attached in zip package is the test save and explanatory txt file. Basically planes loiter over AAA. Play the test in the release and all is fine (the planes are shot down) but when played in the betas AAA fire never happens. Don Thomas g2a_defence.zip
-
using the launcher
Funny that, I was thinking today that an ability to save settings between sessions would be great. I also thought an ability to transfer appropriate settings between the GE and SE (when its done) tabs would be great when writing and testing new scenarios, especially if using custom database. Anyway Rome wasn't built in a day I guess. Don
-
using the launcher
Sorry if this is either obvious or unhelpful but if it is useful great. In my testing installation (I've only just sorted out installations as suggested in beta testing guide) I have basically the latest beta (der!!) but I still have the 2009.036 GE (left with winharp32.exe name) and I've named the beta GE winharp39.exe. Now if I want to run a particular saved game or scenario (with an optional selected database, which I have in the beta main folder and with descriptive names) I use the launcher and just amend the GE name in the launcher window depending upon which GE I want to use. Then to compare how it runs in the alternative GE you just go back to the launcher (don't close it) and the same options and games/scenarios are set, just amend the name of the GE and press launch. A similar thing can probably be done if the GEs being compared are in different folders, just change the GE folder (I'm assuming the paths for game\scenario\database are absolute and not relative to game folder) - this is probalby easier if you have enough hard drive space for three or more installations but I don't. Don Thomas
-
naval gun action
This is just an observation made using HCWW data base in particular ship to ship naval gun combat. Where a ship has say three twin turrets AI will choose say eight rounds to fire at a target will will fire them as four salvos from the first available turret with the inherent time delay defined by the turret's ROF when in most cases (depending upon angles etc) six rounds could have been initially fired, two from each of the three turrets. The first two rounds are likely to do little more than wake up the enemy who might then choose to reply with all guns blazing before ai gets in the second salvo. Also while we are advised of missiles etc being detected there is not such an obvious notice drawn to being pummeled to death by 10" shells unless you keep a good eye on the message board and don't have the time compression wound up too far. It must have been hard in the old days, eh Don Thomas
-
File - WPac - WWII skirmish
Thanks for reminding me, I guess I got a bit slack trying to get it posted late at night. I'll fis the ommissions and add them to the download site. Don. PS is there a way to include a hyperlink to the data base or is it OK to just include the corrrect name?
-
WWII skirmish
- 308 downloads
Something to start playing with the great WWs database, not included in this download, get the latest HCWW from the database downloads. If you're new to changing databases read the instructions attached to that download to ensure you don't loose your standard database. In this scenario two conflicts are taking place on either side of Australia, one above (what I guess is ) the Coral Sea, one in the east indian ocean approaching Perth. There may be some problems still being ironed out with this but the game can still be played and you can get a feel for big naval guns and little pea shooter AAWs. Have fun. Don Thomas -
File - WPac - WWII skirmish
File Name: WWII skirmish File Submitter: donaldseadog File Submitted: 10 Aug 2009 File Updated: 11 Aug 2009 File Category: WestPac DB Used: HCWW-090805 Authors: don thomas Battleset-WPac: .scq - WPac - WestPac Something to start playing with the great WWs database, not included in this download, get the latest HCWW from the database downloads. If you're new to changing databases read the instructions attached to that download to ensure you don't loose your standard database. In this scenario two conflicts are taking place on either side of Australia, one above (what I guess is ) the Coral Sea, one in the east indian ocean approaching Perth. There may be some problems still being ironed out with this but the game can still be played and you can get a feel for big naval guns and little pea shooter AAWs. Have fun. Don Thomas Click here to download this file
-
2009.037 Release Notes
I'm thinking I have something wrongly installed, I seem to have problems with testing with 2009.039 and WWDB. I have a scenario in which a IPN carrier group sends out its planes apparently to intercept enemy on the other side of Australia, the planes appear to be running dry and disappearing off the unit screen. I've attached a zip with a game save. group ZWR is sending off aircraft in a generally south westerly direction, they run dry. Database WWDB 090805 used with GE2009.039 in westpac battleset. I also had some GE crashes and posted that the other day in the 2009.039 topic but notice that it is labelled "testing complete", I assume I should have posted it here,is that correct? Don imposintercept.zip
-
2009.039 Release Notes
I want your computer. Sorry but Ive given up on the batch tests , my celeron just can't handle the big scenarios at anywhere near a reasonable speed, at time it slows to almost real time (well less than a minute per sec). If I run out of other stuff I'll have a look for map sets with only small scenarios. but I can't think of any. Don
-
2009.039 Release Notes
I was using 2009.39 doing a WWs scenario (in westpac) and got a lot of crashes that seem to have something to do with air to ship action. the GE/ database are: Build Date = Aug 3 2009 Database Versions: Res: HCWW-090805,1249484203 Rsr: 1249484203 (taken from GE.log) The situation seems to be reproducable, I did a couple of simple scenarios and got the same thing (same error message). I've attached in zip package; the GE.log and the saved game (saved from iterative save after 'launcher' start, very handy). I have others but I guess one is enough. The crash doesn't always occur at the same time but is fairly quick, usually within a minute or so game time. Don Thomas crashwwa2sea.zip
-
2009.037 Release Notes
1. I ran a number of tests with radar logging and all showed up entries for RCS (of which I'm totally ignorant but I guess it only matters that it was there). I ran the same without radar logging and got no RCS logging. I assume that confirms that item. 2. Has anyone done the inertial guided anti ship missile test? How do you determine a missle is inertial guided only, do you have to chase it up in the database via platform editor? Don.
-
Don's wishlist
More wishes: somehow being able to selectively link a custom database to a battleset (or better still a scenario) when opening the game and going through the 'Battleset' button. Don. (I've run out of fingers) I'd like to be able to ally with green (neutral) countries, either by some form of diplomacy (no idea how that would work) or by force eg taking out primary bases. AI also can do this.
-
2009.037 Release Notes
I might be of on a wrong tanget but I did a test in GUIK 2003 using the wws data base, attacking a base with a fighter escorted bamber group. the group did not defend upon attack from otherside fighters, I did a similar using standard database and the strike group retaliated to the defence fighters. I've attached the test files and comments. I note that the release notes for WWDB says it isn't intended for standard battlesets (but I assume wespac and the 2003 series should be OK as they don't have internal databases). I also note you only asked for pre EC2003 gun tests, not sure what led me into this. NOTE, I used the '.037 beta release, I've only now seen the '.039 Don wwbomberescort.zip
-
2009.034 Release Notes
Thank you sir. You are exactly correct, throw the autosave location and thoughts onto your wishlist please. What you list are capabilities I would like to see as well which never hurts the chances of them happening sooner than some other additions. Could you possibly try command line options with the SE? You seem capable and pretty much everyone else is cowering in fear of the command line Funny that, I was fiddling with SE command line (though I could only guess what options were available, I'll try to find that out with this online session). What I did was copy SE executable name into the GE name window of the launcher and used the variables that I thought would be applicable to the SE. I was able to open SE in the various battlesets, and open existing user and inbuilt scenarios as well as linking to remote databases. ONLY problem was in linking to remote databases the database name needs to be the standard 'commondb.res' and so it has to obe located in a folder other than the HCE main folder. I did also set up a shortcut and manually copied command line options from the launcher window with similar results (I think including the database name, I'll confirm once I get the full detaials (shit its cold here, can't type)) Don. OK, I founf the stuff <- Chg:0000 SE Added command line options with the same functions as the GE -b -c -d -r. Added -t command line switch to specify working directory i.e. -t d:\games\hcce > earlier on in this topic and note the restriction in file path names, guess this was my database problem and will check it plus other stuff that I haven't done. Don. Back again, I checked the problem I had with database names and it was the length (too many characters. While checking I noted that the launcher seems to provide the path name in the 'shorthand' notation to fix long folder names but the actual file name still needs to be whatever (is it nine characters or less, I can't remember)? (hint, it's going to be good when the SE tab is done on the launcher). I didn't do much to confirm the -t option, I only use one harpoon installation (I use a laptop for reasons of low power consumption-live in a solar/wind powered house) and my hard drive is over crowded as is. I did use it (with the standard path) and it worked, that's the best I can do there. Don.
-
2009.034 Release Notes
I've played with the launcher 2009.037 and it seems to be working 100% for me, I had some problems with the previous versions when adding logging optinos in particular, but none now. I've successfully launched the game engine with as many combinations of game options and logging options, remote data base, pre '2000 battlesets, wespac and designer battleset (with resident and remote data base). I've run iterative game saves which seem to be working as I'd expect. In the case of iterative game saves inthe 'temp' folder, (wishlist item?) I'd like to be able to hit a key board shortcut to get the saves when I want them rahter than every X mintutes. Can this be done, I haven't managed it. I've checked the intro to the log report and the game windows too and the command line options seem to be coming through correctly in all cases. Don Thomas.
-
2009.037 Release Notes
I've run a scenario in Original GUIK, attached are (in zip) the scenario, three saves and a text explanation file. Cannon in air to air loadouts seems to be fine up until ammo is depleted where the low ammo plane loiters rather than scarpers. I'll test some other battlesets... Don Thomas. In view of new database for gun testing I'll use it and get back in a couple of days. don. I've done similar tests in designer series one and two in the GUIK battlesets and much the same result, ie dogfighting seems to occur correctly but planes running low on ammo usually (BUT not always) loiter rather than go home. I've attached a couple of zips with the tests if of use. Don Thomas HDS1guns.zip HDSIIguikguns.zip