Everything posted by Warhorse64
-
US Navy and Diesel Subs
Interesting article, with some good points. Thanks ...
-
Install Problem
Success! I went into Windows Explorer again, and tried running Winharp32.exe again, except that this time, instead of just double-clicking on the file, I right-clicked and selected 'run as administrator' instead. This allowed me to actually run the executable, and I can now run the game from the start menu or the desktop icon, as long as it is set to run in admin mode. Thanks for your help, Tony!
-
File - MEDC - Blockade, Part 2
Glad you enjoyed it. I had fun putting it together, too.
-
Requests for the HCDB (Official DB of HCE) and HCDB2
HCDB-110729 Israeli F-15I Raam, GP-2 loadout: You have it equipped with 12(!) 2000 lb Mk 84 GPB. I think perhaps this should have been 12 Mk 83 1000 lb GPB, instead, or possibly 12 Mk 82 500 lb GPB ...
- Install Problem
-
Install Problem
Unfortunately, as noted above, when I try to do that I get the 1x740 error message. I've tried running it from Windows Explorer, from, Start:Run, and from the quick start choice on the start menu that the game installs, but always with the same error message.
-
Just one wish
Well, I have to admit, I wouldn't be running virtual machines if it wasn't for the SE ...
-
Install Problem
I just bought a new computer (AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.30 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1). When I re-installed HUCE, it seemed to install cleanly. However, when I go to play the game, I run into a problem. I can double click the desktop icon, and that gives me the User Account Control warning screen asking if I want to allow the program to make changes to my system. I tell it yes, and get the Play HUCE box. I select '20 Years of Commanders Edition', and that gets me 'choose version' box. At this point, clicking on any of the versions except 'Harpoon CE' brings up that version of the game, no problem. Unfortunately, clicking on 'Harpoon CE' does absolutely nothing. If I go into Windows Explorer and try to run Winharp32.exe directly, I get an error message saying "Registration Problem: There was an error attempting to verify your serial number. Please contact support@matrixgames.com for assistance. Error Code 1x740." Now, I had this exact problem on my previous machine, as well, and I was able to solve it by setting the program to run in Administrator Mode. Unfortunately, that isn't working here, and neither is trying to run it in Windows Compatibility Mode. Then I thought that maybe there was a problem because I had installed the program to my second (F:\) hard drive, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled on the C:\ drive with all the default options. Still no joy, even with admin and compatibility modes on. I've looked through the various fora both here and at Matrix Games, and I can't find anything useful. Help???
-
Question about my favorite "classic" scenario
MS has a free download for Win7 that gives you a virtual XP box that runs the SE just fine. It's only supported for Win7 Pro or better, but apparently it works on all versions.
-
Adding planes to bases, list resetting to top
That sounds fine to me. And like broncepulido says, thanks for all the hard work.
-
Adding planes to bases, list resetting to top
I would have to say "It depends." My current technique for populating a base or carrier is to put in the first a/c type, after which the list recycles to the top. I then select the a/c in the base/carrier window, and scroll down to the next a/c type I want in the available types list, and add as many as I need. This causes the available types list to stay in place afterwards, rather than recycling to the top, making adding any subsequent types less of a hassle. If you can fix the available types list so that it no longer recycles to the top after every selection, or if what you are proposing will not affect my technique, then I have no problem. If what you want to do will leave me having to scroll through the list every time, without a workaround, then I would prefer that you desist, although I recognize that you as the programmer have the last word. I hope that was comprehensible?
-
US Navy beefs up ASW capabilities
It's already in the current (and at least the most recent preceding) DB. Look for the modernized Arleigh Burke Flight IIA. The modernized Bunker Hill CG also has it. It's quite a nice piece of kit ...
-
File - MEDC - Blockade, Part 2
File Name: Blockade, Part 2 File Submitter: Warhorse64 File Submitted: 14 Aug 2011 File Category: MEDC DB Used: HCDB-110531 Authors: Warhorse64 Battleset-MEDC: .sco - EC2003 - EC2003 Part 2: Meatgrinder in the Med In the summer of 2019 Iran's nuclear weapons program was finally about to bear fruit. Israel used nuclear weapons to halt it. Outraged, the world imposed a complete embargo on Israel. The United States decided to break the embargo, by force if necessary. In a stunning display of martial prowess, the US Navy and Air force blasted their way across the Atlantic Ocean, sweeping all opposition from their path as they shepherded a relief convoy through the Straits of Gibraltar. Spain an Morocco have been knocked out of the fight. But as the ships of the relief convoy pass the Straits, their crews know that the hard part of the mission is just beginning. Everything Europe, Russia, and northern Africa can muster to stop them will be waiting for them, and the Mediterranean is never more than a few hundred miles wide at best. With no place to hide, what has already been an horrifically bloody fight looks to get much, much worse. Inspired by, but not quite based upon, a series of posts by Christopher Irvine on the HULL mailing list a few years back. Thanks, Chris! Click here to download this file
-
Blockade, Part 2
- 270 downloads
Part 2: Meatgrinder in the Med In the summer of 2019 Iran's nuclear weapons program was finally about to bear fruit. Israel used nuclear weapons to halt it. Outraged, the world imposed a complete embargo on Israel. The United States decided to break the embargo, by force if necessary. In a stunning display of martial prowess, the US Navy and Air force blasted their way across the Atlantic Ocean, sweeping all opposition from their path as they shepherded a relief convoy through the Straits of Gibraltar. Spain an Morocco have been knocked out of the fight. But as the ships of the relief convoy pass the Straits, their crews know that the hard part of the mission is just beginning. Everything Europe, Russia, and northern Africa can muster to stop them will be waiting for them, and the Mediterranean is never more than a few hundred miles wide at best. With no place to hide, what has already been an horrifically bloody fight looks to get much, much worse. Inspired by, but not quite based upon, a series of posts by Christopher Irvine on the HULL mailing list a few years back. Thanks, Chris! -
Big ship
Same type of ship, I think, but not the same class. The one in the dry dock is noticeably shorter. Gopher, if you look at the bow of the one in dry dock, you can see the reddish bulge underhanging the bow, that pretty much all modern ships have to reduce friction through the water. This would therefore appear to be a separate ship.
-
Staff Assistant Issues
I am currently in the middle of playtesting a rather large and intense scenario in the Med, and the Staff Assistant is making me Very Grumpy. About every ten seconds real time he pops up to tell me that there are enemy aircraft in SAM range, and I really should light up my radars. This can go on for half an hour at a time, and makes playing the game somewhat ... painful ... Even worse, on the rare occasions when I do light up, he doesn't seem to realize it, and keeps popping up to tell me to light up radars that are ALREADY ON! This, I can really live without, because it happens while I am trying to deal with inbound SSMs. Is there any way to make him just STFU, or at least realize that he shouldn't be telling me about aircraft that are only in range of my SM-3s?
-
HOL Questions
1, 3. What is the value of in-game versus third-party? I happen to prefer in-game as well but that does eat programming time. 2. I assume you mean this as well in a shared fashion (my overlay 1..n, shared overlay 1..n), each named. 4. I hadn't thought of this, good idea, and good idea to have a timer on it, can't spend all day planning and then never play (saw that happen at Origins!). 5. I like this too, again limited in duration. By the time you are through 4 and 5 it should be apparent who has the stable connections and who doesn't . 6. What is the justification here? To give the player a fair chance to rejoin without missing any action? 7. Amen to this one! imho it is a real pain in ANW MP to save the game, have everyone disconnect, meet back up in the lobby, have every join the saved session, then start playing again. 8. Saves are indeed key. Programmer time and patience will dictate how secure a mechanism is used (I lean towards the honor system). 9. Thankfully multiplayer in general forces a model the game was originally built upon, that of handling most everything through a queued Harpoon event system. So if you queued all of the events you had them in a format that could be replayed if they were saved instead of discarded as processed. There is the whole matter of creating the viewer or mechanism to make the GE replay the saved events but overall this is easier than it would be in other games. Thanks Mack! 1) In game is more convenient, and you don't have to worry about something important being hidden behind the chat window. HOL had in game chat, with separate channels for each team and a public channel both sides could see. 4) HOL had a pregame chat area to deal with this, I think they called it the ready room. Players could ask for specific assets, but it was up to the side leader to assign the assets to each player at the beginning of the game. 5) It would have been nice to have this, especially since 10:1 was the minimum time compression, and with no pause, but it was not really necessary as the sides weren't usually in direct contact at game start. 6) IIRC, in HOL if someone dropped out everyone got dropped back to the ready room. Assets could be redistributed, or you could wait for the victim to rejoin, and the game could be continued from the dropout point. IMO there needs to be some way to pause and deal with these issues.
-
MiG-29 and Su-30 site
Good Lord ...
-
"PGM Grand" thread
Apparently, similar experiments have been conducted aboard the USS Enterprise (CVN 65) ... http://www.strangemilitary.com/content/item/7310.html
-
"PGM Grand" thread
LOL! Love it!
-
Requests for the HCDB (Official DB of HCE) and HCDB2
Screwed up the merge job when moving your post here, Warhorse64. In any event, thanks for finding the error and bringing my attention to it. I will fix it for the next release, which will happen any day now. Doh! Sorry, it never even occurred to me that I should have put the item in this thread. My apologies!
-
H4 questions i always wanted answers to
I would say that the single most important quality of any combat system these days is the ability get the first (effective) shot. By your definitions, that's going to be more offense than defense, but both will factor into the equation. One shot is usually all it takes with modern weapons.
-
Iranian Navy planning Atlantic deployments
Naw, extra duty for the oiler.
-
Harpoon Battlebook
Dunno where you could find a copy, perhaps Amazon or ALibris? Personally, I found that by the time I got my copy, I already knew everything it was telling me, but a lot of people seemed to swear by it. YMMV.
-
40th anniversary of Harpoon
Heck, I would expect that any of the regular posters on this board have launched more than that themselves. I sure have ...