Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

HarpGamer

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

TEPonta

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by TEPonta

  1. I'm watching a special on Nat'l Geographic about life aboard the Reagan. Good looking female cooks and T-Bones on the chowline? Where was stuff like that when I was on the Midway? I don't begrudge our troops anything that makes their lives easier, but man, I was obviously born too early. Thing is, my Dad was WWII Navy, and no doubt thought the same thing about us during 'Nam. Buddha
  2. I don't know if this helps, but I have been able to create a new platform from "the ground up" and successfully export it and use it in a scenario. As a matter of fact, prior to it's inclusion in the DB, I created the USS Midway this way and had extensive help from the group in recreating the airwing.
  3. I was in Pearl Harbor when the Oklahoma City came through on her way to DeCom. She had mock-up Talos missiles painted with the Stars and Stripes, and a banner that said "Last of a Breed". This strikes me as a similar situation. As I saluted the Okie boat, I salute the Hawk. Buddha
  4. I guess that explains why the base I put in Louisiana for a scenario in my Caribbean BS keeps listing it's location as Baghdad. Buddha
  5. Maybe this was authored by the same guy who described an S-3 as a "Carrier Based Fighter aircraft" that allegedly violated Venezuelan airspace the other day. Buddha
  6. Backfires? Oscars? I say, "Pah" on both of them. Bring'em on. The more the merrier. Spoken like a man who's either fearless, crazy, or a little of both. Definitely the kind of cat I want sitting at the next console in CIC when it hits the fan. Buddha
  7. I've been working most of this sunday on making 'Pacific Recon' comply with 3.9.2. It features a massive Backfire strike on Kity Hawk. Scary to see forsure! However unless the darn Backfires have reliable Reconnaissance that burns through the jamming of the CVBG they tend to be just targets. Still working on it - watch this space! Freek FreekS, When I was aboard the Midway back in the early '80s, we were doing our usual show of force ops in the Sea of O. I was laying in my rack one night when the OSCM came in and said "For any of you air controllers who're interested, there are a hundred and eighteen Soviet aircraft up there right now." I went into CIC and sat at a console, and the scope looked like somebody had just kicked a beehive. With the possible exception of seeing my daughter born by C-Section, that was as scared as I've ever been in my life. Buddha
  8. Tony, I do like ASW and have quite a bit of experience in that area. However, I've had the most bad luck against the Soviet Oscar II class SSGN myself. I can usually kill him eventually, but not before he wreaks havok on my surface forces. Buddha
  9. TEPonta replied to cdcool's topic in General
    Agreed. I've played since the 360 Pacific days on 5" floppies, and this is the way it's always been. It never made much sense to me, but I'm long since used to it. I'm not a programmer, but it seems it might be easier to just change the button label. Buddha
  10. TEPonta replied to cdcool's topic in General
    If you want a list of units in a group, you need to access the Order of Battle function under the Reports pull-down menu. Buddha I think it would make more sense to be able to see the specific units in a group once you click the display button after selecting the group in the group window., otherwise whats the point. I can't argue with you there. I just was letting you know how to get the info you want. Sounds like a suggestion you might want to let the programming types in on. Buddha
  11. TEPonta replied to cdcool's topic in General
    If you want a list of units in a group, you need to access the Order of Battle function under the Reports pull-down menu. Buddha
  12. Tony, Light water and dark gray land works OK here as well. Buddha
  13. TEPonta replied to Stalintc's topic in General
    Pretty impressive. As an old NTDS squid, though, I'll probably stick with the NTDS symbology. Buddha
  14. Thanx, guys. It was a long shot anyway. I sure couldn't have missed by more if I'd tried. Buddha
  15. pmaidhof, I don't know if you're in a position to answer this, but was Rattler ever an F-4 jockey on the Midway? If so, I spoke to him numerous times as an AIC. Unfortunately, I only knew his callsign, not his real name. Buddha
  16. I tried it with .035 tonight, and the program "Stopped Responding", as just about anything that irritates Vista does. No problems with anything else Harpoon-wise, so I'd guess it's the scenario, although Vista, being the piece of crap that it is, doesn't provide details. Buddha
  17. When designing a scenario, I think the easiest way to order a field would be to order the ASW A/C to launch and provide the ability to specify ASW patrol, along with the normal options now available. The patrol area could then be defined in a manner similar to defining the area for an "On Station" victory condition. Some limitation would have to be placed on size of the area. Buddha
  18. The Distro field should be fairly easy to implement, speaking as a non-programmer of course. Kingpin, Road, and Spacing would give you a rectangular area covered by the field. The only other hangup I can see is that CZ conditions would need to be included in the Weather Report for the area, as well as the MDR I mentioned earlier to determine the area covered, based on spacing. Road is determined by the expected line of approach, or ASW Threat Axis. Buddha
  19. Well, that clears that up, thanx. I don't actually use the feature very often, I just get a little frustrated when a feature appears to be there, but I can't seem to access it for some reason. Especially since Vista makes so many things not work. Buddha
  20. Tony, After trying a scenario in every single BattleSet, including one I made myself, the only place I see any boxes of any kind is WestPac. The rest just show the formation diagram and unit symbols, just as Harpoon always has for all the years I've played it. I also tried the USNI Demo, which I have installed completely separate from my HCE Folder, get boxes in both the GIUK and WestPac BS's, if that helps any. Buddha
  21. Ah so. I see it OK in WestPac, and in my homegrown Caribbean BS. Is that what you mean by beyond? Buddha
  22. When I select Settings/Game Options/Water Color/Textured, I see no effect. Light and Dark both work OK, but going to textured from either does nothing. Anyone else see this? Buddha
  23. OK, I am using the little ship icons instead of the symbols. At first for me it looks as if they aren't there, however, closer inspection reveals the little blue ship icons...they are just incredibly hard to see on the black background (see attatchment). This is a WestPac scenario for reference. The Fix is probably either making the black boxes clear, or at least turn them lt grey. Red probably shows up well on the black, but the blue just gets completely lost in it. Why do the boxes need to be there at all? I don't see them in any other BattleSets, including the Caribbean BattleSet I created myself. Buddha
  24. That looks as good (or better) than anything I could come up with. I would suggest adding MDR to the Weather Conditions report for any point to enable the player to determine buoy spacing for his plan. Layer pepth would be helpful as well. Buddha
  25. OK, I am using the little ship icons instead of the symbols. At first for me it looks as if they aren't there, however, closer inspection reveals the little blue ship icons...they are just incredibly hard to see on the black background (see attatchment). This is a WestPac scenario for reference. Interestingly enough, If I change the water dispaly option to dark, as opposed to light, the black boxes turn white and the symbols are clearly visible through them (see attached screenshot). So the symbols are definitely there, just hidden beneath the boxes. A workaround, I suppose, but I hate using dark for the water, and again, the problem only occurs in WestPac. Buddha

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.