Libya No Fly Zone

From Defense Aerospace

[excerpt]

Rafale in Combat: “War for Dummies”

(Source: defense-aerospace.com; posted May 31, 2011)

By Giovanni de Briganti

RAFALETOWN, Corsica --- French air force Rafale combat aircraft deployed here as part of the UN-sanctioned Libyan No-Fly Zone are for the first time making full use of the aircraft’s “omnirole” capabilities, which allow a single aircraft to carry out the full gamut of missions during a single sortie.

Lots of tidbits in here about details of the Libya deployment.

Meanwhile, the Rafales look to be moving from Solenzara ('Rafaletown') to Sigonella to cut flight time.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From CBC News

[excerpt]

Libyan rockets fired at HMCS Charlottetown

Posted: Jun 2, 2011 4:39 PM AT

Last Updated: Jun 2, 2011 6:03 PM AT

A dozen rockets were fired at HMCS Charlottetown off the coast of Libya on Monday.

Lt. Michael McWhinnie, who is on the vessel, told CBC News on Thursday that 12 BM-21 rockets were fired in the direction of the Halifax-based ship.

Anyone else wondering what the Libyan end game is? I mean I'm all for kinetics, but really? If seemed like from news reports yesterday that the goverment forces were again using armored vehicles and arty/MRL to attack/besiege rebels Misrata again. Just an observation, but this seems to be dragging on while we take down much of the infrastructure that will be needed to be rebuilt once the inevitable happens. Aren't western SOF/Spotters on the ground to direct CAS. Why not focus on the Libyan forces opposing the Rebel drive(s) on Tripoli. Or are we afraid of what will happen when that occurs due to tribal and/or other considerations. "Regime Change" remains an unperfected art.

If this message needs to be moved to another, more appropriate, folder or deleted outright I understand. :)

Anyone else wondering what the Libyan end game is? I mean I'm all for kinetics, but really? If seemed like from news reports yesterday that the goverment forces were again using armored vehicles and arty/MRL to attack/besiege rebels Misrata again. Just an observation, but this seems to be dragging on while we take down much of the infrastructure that will be needed to be rebuilt once the inevitable happens. Aren't western SOF/Spotters on the ground to direct CAS. Why not focus on the Libyan forces opposing the Rebel drive(s) on Tripoli. Or are we afraid of what will happen when that occurs due to tribal and/or other considerations. "Regime Change" remains an unperfected art. If this message needs to be moved to another, more appropriate, folder or deleted outright I understand. :)

Perfectly legitimate post, Pete.

I think its clear that the UN/NATO force had sincerely hoped that the Qaddafi regime would have given way by now, either through the application of force, rebel momentum, political uprising, or all of the above.

I don't think they counted on Qaddafi and more particularly, his supporters/military forces, being quite this resilient to airpower.

(Of course, they had already had some experience of that kind of a result from Allied Force in 1999).

• 2 weeks later...

From Aviation Week

[excerpt]

Fire Scout Crashes During Libya Mission

Jun 21, 2011

By Amy Butler

LE BOURGET

A U.S. Navy MQ-8 Fire Scout unmanned rotorcraft was lost June 21 while conducting a mission over Libya, according to program sources.

CV32: Back from a week away up north, good to see lots of activity on the forums! :)

From DefenseNews

[excerpt]

NATO Loses New U.S. Drone Helicopter in Libya

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

Published: 21 Jun 2011 12:11

BRUSSELS - NATO lost radar contact June 21 with a new type of U.S. drone helicopter on a surveillance mission over Libya and denied Libyan television claims that an attack helicopter was shot down.

More details of that early B-2 strike (and B-2 ops in general) ...

From Aviation Week

[excerpt]

AFGSC To Renew Conventional Capabilities

Jun 23, 2011

By David A. Fulghum

... Global Strike Command maintains 16 B-2s and 44 B-52s, plus an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) force for operational missions. Twelve B-2s have been upgraded with advanced, low-probability-of-intercept radars and the ability to carry the massive ordnance penetrator (MOP) bomb for hardened, underground targets.

On the first day of the no-fly-zone campaign over Libya, two B-2s were able to destroy “44-45 hardened aircraft shelters and took out almost the whole [of Tripoli’s] air force,” in a single mission flown from the U.S., says a Strike Command staff member.