Everything posted by donaldseadog
-
Recon aircraft and radar activation
Of the two options I agree option 2, but I wonder whether it is good to have something like a recon aircraft available that will go on patrol and NOT automatically fire up radar (& get detected), which is the current situation? The poor old AI has a pretty hard time being steathy and that is more and more becoming high priority. I'd like to see all patrols set with optional radar (and optional patrol altitude) at the time of setting up the patrol. AI recon patrols (and similar) are usually pretty poor life insurance risks. Don.
-
CF-18 crash
... So that sort of use would negate the usual warrantee I suppose? Don
-
A400M named Grizzly
Yep, can't help but think that if the 'Grizzly' name has come from the test pilots there's something they aren't telling. To me 'grizzly' is more like a very chewy piece of steak that you end up spitting out (if the eating companions allow). I have an Italian motorbike, the model name is 'Elefant' which I think is cute (as we spell it 'elephant') and I think that would be better than Grizzly. Don
-
File - WPac - Coral Sea Battle (redplay)
File Name: Coral Sea Battle (redplay) File Submitter: donaldseadog File Submitted: 18 Jul 2010 File Category: WestPac DB Used: HCWW-100326 Authors: don thomas Battleset-WPac: .scq - WPac - WestPac A revised version of my blue play Coral Sea Battle but designed for playing for the Japanese. The situation is not exactly as occurred but is close allowing for game operation and available ships etc in the Database. Use westpac battleset and database HCWW-100326 Hope you have fun. Don Thomas, Click here to download this file
-
Coral Sea Battle (redplay)
- 206 downloads
A revised version of my blue play Coral Sea Battle but designed for playing for the Japanese. The situation is not exactly as occurred but is close allowing for game operation and available ships etc in the Database. Use westpac battleset and database HCWW-100326 Hope you have fun. Don Thomas, -
Coral Sea Battle (blueplay)
- 284 downloads
Not quite a re enactment of one of the most important battles (if only two days long) of the WWII Pacific war, but based on the situation at the time. Finding the enemy is a big part of the game, actually defeating the enemy is also a big part of the game, actually just surviving is perhaps the biggest part of the game. I expect to be able to make a number of upgrades to this as time goes on, and in particular to provide a version for IJN play (This is only designed for Allied Play). If you have multiple versions of the harpoon program you might like to try a few of them as some of the more recent changes to aspects such as gunnery firing arcs and aircraft strafing capabilities make big differences to how the scenario plays. In any case, as usual I hope you enjoy playing it as much as I enjoyed creating it. As this is based on an historical situation I'd really welcome any feedback on how it's accuracy can be improved. Some of the ships aren't correct (not yet available in the DB, so I've selected what I think will do the job, EG light carriers instead of float plane tenders, let me know if you find something better. Also I haven't used exactly historically correct starting points so as to: 1. give variety to the game and 2. allow better game performance (eg less likely to run aground). There are also a few added bits not correctly timed but to add interest. Don Thomas -
File - WPac - Coral Sea Battle (blueplay)
File Name: Coral Sea Battle (blueplay) File Submitter: donaldseadog File Submitted: 8 Jul 2010 File Updated: 18 Jul 2010 File Category: WestPac DB Used: HCWW-100326 Authors: Don Thomas Battleset-WPac: .scq - WPac - WestPac Not quite a re enactment of one of the most important battles (if only two days long) of the WWII Pacific war, but based on the situation at the time. Finding the enemy is a big part of the game, actually defeating the enemy is also a big part of the game, actually just surviving is perhaps the biggest part of the game. I expect to be able to make a number of upgrades to this as time goes on, and in particular to provide a version for IJN play (This is only designed for Allied Play). If you have multiple versions of the harpoon program you might like to try a few of them as some of the more recent changes to aspects such as gunnery firing arcs and aircraft strafing capabilities make big differences to how the scenario plays. In any case, as usual I hope you enjoy playing it as much as I enjoyed creating it. As this is based on an historical situation I'd really welcome any feedback on how it's accuracy can be improved. Some of the ships aren't correct (not yet available in the DB, so I've selected what I think will do the job, EG light carriers instead of float plane tenders, let me know if you find something better. Also I haven't used exactly historically correct starting points so as to: 1. give variety to the game and 2. allow better game performance (eg less likely to run aground). There are also a few added bits not correctly timed but to add interest. Don Thomas Click here to download this file
-
Back Door 2
- 269 downloads
This was only meant to be a minor revision of my previous "Back Door" to correct a minor 'undesirable', but the scenario has become quite different to play so I thought I'd post it separately. Generally similar to 'Back Door' but this should be (usually) less hectic at the start but with with more action spread through the voyage and a couple of possible possible surprises at what might be the end? Don Thomas -
File - MEDC - Back Door 2
File Name: Back Door 2 File Submitter: donaldseadog File Submitted: 30 Jun 2010 File Category: MEDC DB Used: HCDB-100528 Authors: Don Thomas Battleset-MEDC: .sco - EC2003 - EC2003 This was only meant to be a minor revision of my previous "Back Door" to correct a minor 'undesirable', but the scenario has become quite different to play so I thought I'd post it separately. Generally similar to 'Back Door' but this should be (usually) less hectic at the start but with with more action spread through the voyage and a couple of possible possible surprises at what might be the end? Don Thomas Click here to download this file
-
wscenedt.exe shortcut via Launcher.exe
No spaces D:\hce_beta Also if the scenario file name (or path?) has long file name, spaces etc then it doesn't pass onto scenario editer (the old dinasaur that she is) but in any case I don't think it would handle them from a normal start anyway. I think if you have a copy of the launcher executable (I have it in another folder and with another name-don't know if all that is necessary- I guess it depends on how it writes to the 'ini' file at exit) then you kind of get two independent programs for starting editor and GE. You can also use launcher to start different GE versions by giving them unique names and amending it in the 'GE Name' window, I use winharp32.exe as the latest beta and previous versions I name like winharp42.exe (for 2009.42) etc. Just an alternative to having lots of shortcuts, especially handy for different database (which can't be selected from SE or GE once started) Any way I find it useful and thought it was worth sharing. Don
-
wscenedt.exe shortcut via Launcher.exe
This may or may not be obvious (or useful) to you, I often use the scenario editor and am frequently using it with non standard databases or going back over the previous scenario. You can open the scenario editor from Tony's "launcher" (in the downloads section if you haven't seen it) by overwriting "winharp32.exe" with "wscenedt.exe". You can make some of the selections such as battleset, scenario file and database. When you launch it (since the last update) you have saved all the settings from the last launch. To make it work well, copy the 'launcher.ini' file to another (any) folder, make a desktop (or other place) shortcut to the launcher.exe and call it scenario edit start (or whatever you like), click it and open its properties. Rewrite the "start in" field to point at your folder in which you put the 'launcher.ini' file. launch the shortcut and amend the executable to wscenedt.exe (as noted above). Now it sounds like a bit of fiddling but once it is done you can get into your scenario editor and change batlesets and scenarios and in particular databases very quickly. If you are going back to the last scenario you edited it is just ready to start with one click. What's the bet that Tony is about to release an update with the scenario editor tab filled in, making all this pointless? Are but its just a game, eh. Don
-
Back Door
- 188 downloads
For EC2003, continuing my saga of UK/French fisty cuffs. The (I think last) third in the saga. Your British carrier group has to cruise to port in Gibraltar and dodge one or two French nasties. Depending on your luck with the groups initial (variable) positions this can end in a naval gunnery battle, or rather nasty sub attack (or both). Hope you enjoy it. Don -
File - MEDC - Back Door
File Name: Back Door File Submitter: donaldseadog File Submitted: 18 Jun 2010 File Category: MEDC DB Used: HCDB-100308 Authors: don thomas Battleset-MEDC: .sco - EC2003 - EC2003 For EC2003, continuing my saga of UK/French fisty cuffs. The (I think last) third in the saga. Your British carrier group has to cruise to port in Gibraltar and dodge one or two French nasties. Depending on your luck with the groups initial (variable) positions this can end in a naval gunnery battle, or rather nasty sub attack (or both). Hope you enjoy it. Don Click here to download this file
-
Windows 7 Compatibility
Totally irrelevant, but am I jealous or what!! My good computer is a celeron laptop (15" screen) and recently upgraded to 500 Mb ram (original DDR and I had to get it second hand and what ever could be found). My hard drive is 40 gig (you have nearly that much ram if needed!!) but I use 8 an gig usb for data storage and archive stuff onto (external) DVD fairly frequently. Have fun. Don
-
victory conditions problem?
I've had a problem using victory conditions requiring a kill of 25 aircraft of specific sub type (attack). I don't know if this is a bug or just me, any one seen this sort of thing? Any one think of something I might be doing wrong? If I reduce the number to 5 it works or if I change it to 25 aircraft (any type) it works.?? Don Thomas
-
When writing code isn't torture enough
I used to do long bicycle rides as a member of the world wide Audax club, the rides are continuous with just short rest stops (the longest I did was 300 klms/ 15 hours). Before I started my first Audax ride a guy I knew (who had been doing them for 'decades' said "100 kilometres is just two 50s in a row, etc". If you can do the 'half' and are thinking about the 'full', you can do it. I'm sure your running partner would like to at least help in the training even if not do the run. You both look really fresh in the photos, what about poor mister '4004' I bet he's not thinking about doing a 'full'. I only think that all that time spent running you could be comfy in front of that screen.... PS, I'm not a runner, what is "pace" (my best guess is average speed in KPH)? Don Thomas
-
air group composition WW2 shipping attacks
Yeah, Japanese airgroups were not as big on a per-carrier basis as the US ones. The two carriers at Coral Sea were Shokaku and Zuikaku, counterparts in many ways to the US Yorktown class CVs, but still carried less aircraft. The aircraft shot down by the US forces were sorely missed, along with their carriers (Shokaku took some bomb hits, iirc) at Midway a month later. Sho and Zui didn't come to Midway because of air group losses and repairs needed to Shokaku. I think Zuikaku remained mostly untouched till the Battle of Leyte Gulf, when she was finally sunk off Cape Engano, last of the Pearl Harbor strikers, iirc. Shokaku was already gone by that time, lost to a submarine at the Battle of the Philippine Sea. So, has anyone yet made scenarios for any of the big surface battles around Guadalcanal? There's a bunch of candidates. Cape Esperance, First and Second Battles of Guadalcanal, Savo Island, Tassafaronga, etc. You could probably model some of the PT vs the Tokyo Express engagements. Also, there's the fleet/carrier actions like Santa Cruz and Eastern Solomons. And of course the Cactus Air Force. I'm not that good at scenario design, but, if I had the time, I might have to look into some of that. I guess we'll see if I make time for it or not. Sounds like some great ideas in there, I hope you find that ellusive 'time'. Start with the simplest and see how you go I'd suggest, test in cheat mode (ctrl alt s) to see the oponents activities and if in island areas keep an eye on the AI driving ships aground. I'm lousy with history and too lazy to look it all up so in a way I envy your knwoledge. Don
-
When writing code isn't torture enough
... no wonder you're running, all in the name of furthering the Harpoon cause. I just hope she doesn't decide on a full marathon to test your sincerity. Now after all that upright physical activity you need a bit of time in a good chair in front of a computer screen 2 hours sounds like a good time, you must both be fit, you both look it. Looks like great weather too (as well as the pleasant scenery). Well done. Don
-
It gets hot
- 396 downloads
A second scenario in the line where France retaliates against the UK for dropping the European alliance in the war with the USA. An intense air battle over the English channel with a few ships to add to the list of targets. EC2003 battle set and HCDB-100308 database. Updated 3 june 2010 to make you work a little harder to get victory. Updated again 11 june due to unexpected problem with victory condition. -
File - GIUK - It gets hot
File Name: It gets hot File Submitter: donaldseadog File Submitted: 22 May 2010 File Updated: 11 Jun 2010 File Category: GIUK DB Used: HCDB-100308 Authors: don thomas Battleset-GIUK: .scm - EC2003 - EC2003 A second scenario in the line where France retaliates against the UK for dropping the European alliance in the war with the USA. An intense air battle over the English channel with a few ships to add to the list of targets. EC2003 battle set and HCDB-100308 database. Updated 3 june 2010 to make you work a little harder to get victory. Updated again 11 june due to unexpected problem with victory condition. Click here to download this file
-
Sensors
Yup, gotta energize the radar to energize the jammers. Of course, in most cases coming in low and quiet is actually the right thing to do, up until you figure you are getting into detection range or coming over the horizon. No point in advertising your presence any sooner than necessary ... Well I didn't scratch too many then, fwew Question though: is there an easy way to tell which planes have jammers (other than open up the database)? I look at the written description and the 'weapons' in the load out, any thing else I should do?
-
Napoleon's Revenge
- 316 downloads
Spurred by a sentence in an EC2003 battleset scenario, here we have France 'teaching a lesson' to the UK after they leave the European Alliance against USA. A small scale scenario pitting a French carrier group against an English with limited shore based air support but with additional surface and subsurface vessels. You can play either Red or Blue though its intended primarily as a blue play so the reds are slightly better equipped. For EC 2003 NACV battleset, HCDB-100308 database -
File - NACV - Napoleon's Revenge
File Name: Napoleon's Revenge File Submitter: donaldseadog File Submitted: 20 May 2010 File Category: NACV DB Used: HCDB-100308 Authors: don thomas Battleset-NACV: .scn - EC2003 - EC2003 Spurred by a sentence in an EC2003 battleset scenario, here we have France 'teaching a lesson' to the UK after they leave the European Alliance against USA. A small scale scenario pitting a French carrier group against an English with limited shore based air support but with additional surface and subsurface vessels. You can play either Red or Blue though its intended primarily as a blue play so the reds are slightly better equipped. For EC 2003 NACV battleset, HCDB-100308 database Click here to download this file
-
Sensors
Yes, they're both jamming platforms, useful in the suppression of enemy air defense (SEAD) role. Activating their surface search radar will likewise activate the jammers, and you can use the aircraft to reduce the effective range of enemy radars. In the escort role, they can be used to provide somewhat of a 'shield' for friendly aircraft. Be careful, though, they are vulnerable to enemy fighters. So (in HCE) 'jammers' like prowler have to have their surface radar on to jam enemy radar, if I try to sneak them in low and 'quiet' (all radar off) they have no effect. Yeh, is this true, have I been stuffing up all this time?? (Don's bungle No. xxx)
-
User Manual draft review Wed 7pm Central Time on IRC
I kick myself in the head, gotta look more often. I was cooking bread (10 am local time) and could have made it. If the response wasn't as good as desired, and theere is some copy of comments made, I'd like to put in some time and any comments I come up with. Don