Scenario authors

I know that some, perhaps many, of you HCE players out there must have played with the Scenario Editor and perhaps built scenarios of your own.

I'll get to the point: why aren't you sharing them? <_<

Scenarios are the lifeblood of this game, folks. Without scenarios to play, enjoy and share, we're toiling away at improving this game for what?

If you're worried about 'quality', please don't be. There's no one around here that is going to wag their finger and say your scenario doesn't meet their own self-conceived standards. And, if your scenario could use improvement, or you'd like help to make it better in some way, there are plenty of folks who would be glad to assist.

HarpGamer is going to launch a bit of a formal initiative shortly to fuel some movement on this topic, but I'd like to get a headstart on that effort. So, scenario writers, where are you? :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you've hit on the main reason that some folks may be reluctant to post their scenarios here. I do quite a bit of research in various newsgroups, and for every constructive answer I receive, I normally get 4 or 5 from people who feel than being insulting is a way to show their "superiority". A civlized group like this one is the exception rather than the rule, and takes a little getting used to.

Encouraging members, especially new ones, to read through the posts here and see the polite and helpful tone they take, is probably the best approach to getting more participation.

Buddha

• 1 month later...

The response to the HCE Challenge initiative has been less than stellar, but I must say I am pleased that at least a few new scenario writers have started producing scenarios. Many thanks to folks like Warhorse64, Gdtrfb, rainman and wombat1417 for taking up the cause. Great work, guys!

Recent real life events have (again) produced a wealth of potential scenario fodder. If you have ideas, scenarios in progress, or scenarios for testing, please do not hesitate to post in this forum. We will help you any way we can.

Keep it up! B)

Am re-doin my MOB scen and have another 2 goin on in my skull...one forced passage at Gibrltar by US CVBG and another EU vs US after crazy man takes over the white house.....

E.T.A......maybe this month(barring any week long benders like the last one!!!)

will try to make them more challanging for blue but in my warped mind bigger is better so both will be monsters....aaarrrrghhhh!

anyhoo will try to increase my productivity and make more scens...

cheers, Joe aka Gdtrfb aka vanilla thunder aka monster scen builder

P.S also would like to say if my dunce self can make a working scen then ANYBODY can do it!!!

P.P.S The help and support that Brad and Tony gave me was awesome!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brad,

I know that some, perhaps many, of you HCE players out there must have played with the Scenario Editor and perhaps built scenarios of your own.

I'll get to the point: why aren't you sharing them? <_<

Scenarios are the lifeblood of this game, folks. Without scenarios to play, enjoy and share, we're toiling away at improving this game for what?

If you're worried about 'quality', please don't be. There's no one around here that is going to wag their finger and say your scenario doesn't meet their own self-conceived standards. And, if your scenario could use improvement, or you'd like help to make it better in some way, there are plenty of folks who would be glad to assist.

HarpGamer is going to launch a bit of a formal initiative shortly to fuel some movement on this topic, but I'd like to get a headstart on that effort. So, scenario writers, where are you? :)

You´re absolutely right - no scenarios, no future. As to me: I have been "down under" in real life (Work) for some months, but things may become better in the next time. I´ll restart scenario writing asap.

Keep on with the good work on HCE! It´s the best Harpoon Classic ever.

Best Regards,

Ralf

• 1 month later...

I just want to say THANKS for the new scenarios, guys. You know who you are.

Working on HCE projects has kept me from playing some of them (yet), but thats actually a good thing (having more scenarios than I have time to play). I will get around to em eventually.

Thanks again. :)

• 1 month later...
So, scenario writers, where are you? :)

Here is my first scenario for HCE.

We could name it "Bear Goes South", for Original GIUK battleset (sc1).

It is a major engagement between NATO and Soviet forces. Objetives are to sunk as many ships and subs as you can, and to destroy enemy land bases. Soviet side can achieve tactical victory with a patrol around Reikjavik (Iceland) or Orland (Norway) for 48 hours.

I am sorry that Orders Writer utility didn´t work correctly with this file.

P.D.: I am not sure if Attack orders for soviet bases work or if AI delays attacks until it gets air superiority.

GIUKBGS.zip

Here is my first scenario for HCE. We could name it "Bear Goes South", for Original GIUK battleset (sc1). It is a major engagement between NATO and Soviet forces. Objetives are to sunk as many ships and subs as you can, and to destroy enemy land bases. Soviet side can achieve tactical victory with a patrol around Reikjavik (Iceland) or Orland (Norway) for 48 hours.

Happy to receive new scenarios, jugasa. Thanks! You need to upload your scenario files (zipped) at the Downloads section rather than attach them to your post. Please do so and then I'll delete the attachment here.

I am sorry that Orders Writer utility didn´t work correctly with this file.

The Orders Writer works very well. What was your problem with it? Maybe we can get it worked out for you.

P.D.: I am not sure if Attack orders for soviet bases work or if AI delays attacks until it gets air superiority.

The AI won't delay its attacks until achieving air superiority. You need to work that into the scenario yourself. I'm sure if the attacks aren't working, someone will pipe up and let you know.

When I load the scenario the computer says: "Bad characters found in this text file!" I don´t know what this means.

You've probably inserted some characters in the text which aren't recognised by the Orders Writer. It has some difficulties with characters other than the usual alphanumerics. I suggest you review the text with this in mind.

P.D.: I have already posted the scenario at the download section. B)

Found it, although you didn't upload it under a specific Battleset. I fixed it, and should appear ok now, but please note this for future. And thanks again for the scenario!

Found it, although you didn't upload it under a specific Battleset. I fixed it, and should appear ok now, but please note this for future. And thanks again for the scenario!

OK, I have recently saw how to indicate database, battleset, author...

But this scenario is .sc1, it is for Original GIUK Battleset, not for EC2003.scm.