Argentina: "Britain a crude colonial power in decline"

Internal rhetoric for the locals, I'd say. Argentina would be stupid to try anything.

The Argentinian president Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner is a very stupid, unstable and dangerous woman, and remember the next presidential polls are on 23 October 2011.

And her late husband was a close friend of the Montoneros terrorists .....

Great! Where are your carriers when you need them?

Em........ ones in bits in Turkey, another is laid up on the South Coast somewhere are on the defence equivalent of Ebay and the other is in refit...... and we just sold the planes that fly off them to the Yanks anyway!!!

And our 2 new ones are also still in bits.......

Why do I feel that the lesson the US learns will be that if you don't have carriers, you can't get into these foreign entanglements?

Grrr!

Maybe the world is going back to the good old military rule of thumb "wait till you see the whites of their eyes".

After all it used to work (well when the use of personnel as canon fodder was acceptable).

Says the Argentine military command when their airbases get levelled by Tomahawks.

It doesn't really seem that the US wants to send a carrier battle group their. What would we gain for our efforts? Just let it and the oil go, lick your wounds and move on. Could you really say that this would be a loss for the UK? We got our clocks rung in Mogidishu, we shed some tears for our losses and we got on with life. I think the UK is more embarrassed by being schooled by what they thought was an inferior military. Argentinas 2011 military budget is 4 billion dollars compared to the UK's 57 billion. Thats Pee Wee Herman slappin Mike Tyson around.

Says the Argentine military command when their airbases get levelled by Tomahawks.

It doesn't really seem that the US wants to send a carrier battle group their. What would we gain for our efforts? Just let it and the oil go, lick your wounds and move on. Could you really say that this would be a loss for the UK? We got our clocks rung in Mogidishu, we shed some tears for our losses and we got on with life. I think the UK is more embarrassed by being schooled by what they thought was an inferior military. Argentinas 2011 military budget is 4 billion dollars compared to the UK's 57 billion. Thats Pee Wee Herman slappin Mike Tyson around.

I don't think its got anything to do with being embarrassed by an inferior military its about ensuring sovereignty of a British territory, you let the Falklands go without and fight and you've got Gibraltar looking nervously at Spain.....

I wasn't talking about Tomahawks from an American warship. I was talking about them being fired from British submarines.

1st comment if you haven't yet read the story in the link only do it if you want to feel sick in the morning, the "artist" should get slapped around by his dad if the poor guy is still alive having his son basically spit in his face (and of his nation)

2nd comment after Afghanistan and Iraq if the USA did not put in major work to make sure the UK (our truest and closest ally in the world) fought off Argentina and kept the Falklands British then I would feel that no other nation in the world would ever trust us at all.

I don't think its got anything to do with being embarrassed by an inferior military its about ensuring sovereignty of a British territory, you let the Falklands go without and fight and you've got Gibraltar looking nervously at Spain.....

OK so I was in a bit of a rush and attempting to comment on two replies rather than concentrating on just one so here is the new and improved reply. I first off should have asked of the significance of the Falklands to the UK other than sovereignty? I've read that oil may be the reason why Britain is holding onto such a distant territory but I've never read of any estimates. I'd understand if this was Diego Garcia since it has such a significant military value to the UK. It just seemed like a high price to pay; several ships and planes lost and several hundred British soldiers and sailors. All for a group of far away islands that I don't see adding a lot to the UK economy. In a Discovery Channel program about the Falklands War, UK military leaders seemed surprised on how close Argentina came to winning the war which I interpet as "embarrased". Sorry to see that Britain and Argentina are still having issues with it.

I don't know about a Spain/Gibralter issue but that seems less likely as Spain appears slightly more civil and the proximity to the UK would make it much easier to defend.

I don't know about a Spain/Gibralter issue but that seems less likely as Spain appears slightly more civil and the proximity to the UK would make it much easier to defend.

Don't worry about Gibraltar and Spain, the risk of civilian losses in the very near towns and the own Gibraltar is too high to any military attempt to solve the issue.