Currently Reading

pmaidhof

After the obligatory last night viewing of "A Bridge Too Far" to wrap up Arnhem and the like, I dug through the personal (attic) library and spotted Closing with the Enemy, How GIs Fought the War in Europe, 1944-1945 by Michael D. Doubler. Lieutenant Colonel Doubler "argues...that their ability to learn quickly from their mistakes, to adapt in the face of unforseen obstacles, and to innovate new tactics on the battlefield."

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Next up...Centennial Campaign, The Sioux War of 1876 by John S. Gray. It is an overview of the entire campaign which includes the Custer Battle.

• 2 months later...

Finally finished up Castles of Steel. Superb book, chock full of detail about every major naval battle of the First World War, as well as the political and strategic wranglings wrapped around them. Highly recommended.

Also finished Project Azorian, a Christmas gift. A relatively short book overall, but again, quite a bit of detail here, including debunking several common myths and misconceptions about what went on with the K-129 and her recovery.

Been reading quite a bit since a very "Kindle" Christmas...

Armor Battles of the Waffen SS, 1943-45 by Will Fey

Beyond Stalingrad: Manstein and the Operations of Army Group Don by Dana V. Sadarananda

and just began Zhukov at the Oder: The Decisive Battle for Berlin by Tony Le Tissier

Finally finished up Castles of Steel. Superb book, chock full of detail about every major naval battle of the First World War, as well as the political and strategic wranglings wrapped around them. Highly recommended.

I recommend "Dreadnought" by the same author. You can describe it as a "prequel" to the "Castles". In "Dreadnought" Massie presents decades leading to the IWW (from 1901), with main theme being the naval arms race between Britian and Germany.

I recommend "Dreadnought" by the same author. You can describe it as a "prequel" to the "Castles". In "Dreadnought" Massie presents decades leading to the IWW (from 1901), with main theme being the naval arms race between Britian and Germany.

Yeah, I have already been eyeing Dreadnought. but without accounts of actual battles, I am not sure if it would hold my interest right now.

Yeah, I have already been eyeing Dreadnought. but without accounts of actual battles, I am not sure if it would hold my interest right now.

Indeed, "Dreadnought" is much more political than military history, but at the same time has very interesting points about developing pre-IWW naval technology.

• 4 months later...

I'm at a cross road. Six Days of War or Shattered Sword? I'm leaning toward Six Days of War.

I'm at a cross road. Six Days of War or Shattered Sword? I'm leaning toward Six Days of War.

Shattered Sword, but both are good choices.

Another recomendation: "On Seas contested" - a short book describing the 7 major navies of World War 2 from the organisational point of view, but touching slightly on the hardware side.

I chose Six Days of War: June 1967 and the Making of the Modern Middle East by Michael B. Oren. It dovetails nicely with my current land wargaming interest. Shattered Sword is definitely on the short list.