File Submitter: RKoelbach

File Submitted: 25 Dec 2010

File Category: WestPac

DB Used: HC95to10 (Rene Haar)

Authors: Ralf Koelbach

Battleset-WPac: .scq - WPac - WestPac

Surprises in the Pacific

Year 2015

You find Yourself in command of the Japanese and allied forces in a big struggle versus the PRC and North Korea.

Your forces are outnumbered and the Chinese bring in their latest inventory.

Russian intentions are unclear and unpredictable. If they join the war on China' s side it will

become extremely difficult to hold Japan and Taiwan.

Yet You are not defenseless. Both new Japanese through-deck carriers are in service. The big surprise for the enemy will be that these carriers actually carry modern F-35 fighter bombers.

So while you were caught off guard by the first hostile steps, You can strike back by using your brand new carriers and their modern combat aircraft.

You are in command of US air assets at Clark AFB, too. Several squadrons of first line bombers and fighter bombers are ready for counteroffensive actions.

Make it count.

Xmas 2010

Ralf Koelbach

Click here to download this file

Hi Pooners,

"Surprises in the Pacific" is my first Harpoon Classic scen since two years I think. I hope I haven´t forgotten how to write challenging HC scens. B)

The scenario is a large one in the tradition of my "monster" scens "Backyard" 1 and 2 and "F-14 Fleet Defender".

Hope You enjoy it!

Regards,

Ralf

Hi Gopher,

I've only downloaded the scen and analized it.

Is someone able to win as blue side player? <_<

Do what you can ;)

Until now, each and any scen found its master. I once thought I´d written one which no one could win - F-14 Fleet Defender 1.1. Bot buth Tony and Brad won it, though after furious and long-lasting battles.

One hint: You have some really nice assets at Clark AFB. :rolleyes:

Guys,

you need, in addition to divefreak´s latest HC95to10 database (submitted on December, 26th), his picture file: http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?a...mp;showfile=328

Then everything should work as intended.

Regards,

Ralf

You certainly need the latest DB, ( I thought I did have), I played for about three hours, the action was so constant that it took that long to realise I kept sending out bombers from Clark AFB but they were instantly landing, the latest DB fixed that so now I can get on with the job (now with a bit more hope :D

Don

Until now, each and any scen found its master. I once thought I´d written one which no one could win - F-14 Fleet Defender 1.1. Bot buth Tony and Brad won it, though after furious and long-lasting battles.

+1 on F-14 Fleet Defender B)

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?a...mp;showfile=240

(I suggest reading the support topic for this, some spirited play is described, even some by me)

and the original!

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?a...mp;showfile=236

Hi Tony,

+1 on F-14 Fleet Defender B)

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?a...mp;showfile=240

(I suggest reading the support topic for this, some spirited play is described, even some by me)

and the original!

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?a...mp;showfile=236

Yes, I remember how You fought Your way through it. Didn´t You even forget that there were bombers based on the US East Coast and You won without them?

Nice AARs, indeed.

I think I´ll write another super-monster for Brad and You. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
anyone playing it or has anyone won it?

I've played it for more than "6 game time houres" and not won or losed. I was surprised to survive the first two houres. This is possible based on the fact, that red do not well prepared/organised attacks, and according the scenario editor it shall attack bases with 20 bombers but it didn't.

I'm still playing it. It's quite challenging to keep track of all events going on.

The attack on Taiwan has been repulsed, the Chinese bases northwest of Taiwan and north are destroyed. The surface group east of Korea has been decimated, after some if its ship run aground. The surface group coming north and assaulting Japan probably has run out of planes now. I also sunk a few subs which were within close range of Japan airfields. Plane losses are some 500 red for 100 blue. It's a very intense scenario and due to the size I play it almost all times play it in real time. Though now I have the impression I can continue with 5:1 unless I'm launching big attacks.

I played and won eventually destroying all the redfor bases but there was certainly no shortage of hairy moments. I almost blew it at one point after letting my concentration slip. I was rewarded with a brace of russian asm's which almost sank one of the japanese carriers leaving it 64% damaged. Thankfully I managed to keep it out largely of harms way after that.

The chinese/dprk air launched ssms were bothersome causing some tension at times though once I determined where they were coming from and I had attained air superiority in the sea of japan they became less of an issue.

Using the long range US air assets also is key to making life alot easier.

In summary it was a very enjoyable and challenging scenario with plenty of edge of yoor seat moments paricularly early on.

Hi Onyx,

I played and won eventually destroying all the redfor bases but there was certainly no shortage of hairy moments. I almost blew it at one point after letting my concentration slip. I was rewarded with a brace of russian asm's which almost sank one of the japanese carriers leaving it 64% damaged. Thankfully I managed to keep it out largely of harms way after that.

The chinese/dprk air launched ssms were bothersome causing some tension at times though once I determined where they were coming from and I had attained air superiority in the sea of japan they became less of an issue.

Using the long range US air assets also is key to making life alot easier.

In summary it was a very enjoyable and challenging scenario with plenty of edge of yoor seat moments paricularly early on.

Thank you very much for playing it - good job!

Regards,

Ralf