PBEM "Surge into the Barents"

RAJ

Gentlemen,

An Umpired PBEM Harpoon game is being offered to anyone that is interested. The scenario being played is a slightly modified version of Surge into the Barents published in High Tide page 59. If you’ve had enough with the computer stuff, tired of a burning retina, and bug fixes, and want a real mental exercise than playing Harpoon4 in way it’s designed to be played is for you.

The requirements to play is: one must have a copy of either Harpoon4 or 4.1 Rules, graph paper – that’s right, I said graph paper, you’re going to do your own plotting men. Protractor, ruler, calculator, and pencil with an eraser are also required. No, there is no fancy graphics, but if you want a naval combat experience then be prepared to do a little work. Also, Larry Bond has taken interest in this PBEM contest and has asked me if I could write up an article regarding this scenario in a future Naval SITREP. I would appreciate your help with this project by contributing AARs after this contest is over. Boys, if you’ve been thinking, when will I every play those High Tide scenarios? Well here’s one for you.

If you think you have the right stuff then check out the command opportunities below and pick three command choices, in order of priority. I’ll do my best to match your choice, but be aware its first come first serve basis. If there is anyone that has an ASW expertise I would encourage you to come along side me as an Umpire Assistance. Scenario details, procedures, respective platform form(s) will be sent to your email once all positions are filled. Command choices must be sent to my email. Don’t send your choice through the forum. Thanks.

Contact information:

Ross Jefferson, Scenario Umpire

Jeffro2000@gmail.com

12 Positions needed for:

NATO Forces:

q USS Providence SSN-719 (Los Angeles Class Flight II/VLS) commander

q USS Pittsburgh SSN-720 (Los Angeles Class Flight II/VLS) commander

q USS Boston SSN-703 (Los Angeles Class) commander

q HMS Turbulent S110 (Trafalgar Class) commander

Soviet Forces:

q ASW Surface Action Group commander:

SAG consists of: Kronstadt (Kresta II class CG), Dostoynyy,and Leningradski (Krivak I class FFG)

q Grisha Squadron commander:

Squadron consists of: MPK-113, 114, 127, 133 (Grisha III class FFL)

q B-471 (Kilo Class SS) commander

q B-319 (Tango Class SS) commander

q K-247 (Victor III Class SSN) commander

q K-51 (Delta IV class SSBN) commander

q TK-208 (Typhoon class SSBN) commander

q Air Group Commander

Consisting of: 2 Tu-142M Bear F, 4 Mi-14PL Haze A, 6 IL-38 May

This one sounds like it should be a lot of fun.

I'd encourage anyone who wants to get their feet wet with the paper rules to sign up.

If I weren't up to my eyeballs and beyond with Bill Jennings' MBX and HCE, I'd want to join myself.

Gentlemen,

Position status for Surge into the Barents

Bold font means position has been taken.

NATO Forces:

q USS Providence SSN-719 (Los Angeles Class Flight II/VLS) commander

q USS Pittsburgh SSN-720 (Los Angeles Class Flight II/VLS) commander

q USS Boston SSN-703 (Los Angeles Class) commander

q HMS Turbulent S110 (Trafalgar Class) commander

Soviet Forces:

q ASW Surface Action Group commander:

SAG consists of: Kronstadt (Kresta II class CG), Dostoynyy,and Leningradski (Krivak I class FFG)

q Grisha Squadron commander:

Squadron consists of: MPK-113, 114, 127, 133 (Grisha III class FFL)

q B-471 (Kilo Class SS) commander

q B-319 (Tango Class SS) commander

q K-247 (Victor III Class SSN) commander

q K-51 (Delta IV class SSBN) commander

q TK-208 (Typhoon class SSBN) commander

q Air Group Commander

Consisting of: 2 Tu-142M Bear F, 4 Mi-14PL Haze A, 6 IL-38 May

Umpire

Barghhhhhh. I really should do a better job of checking each section, rather than just visiting the paper rules threads.

Sounds great though, i hope lurkers can read up on proceedings somehow.

Or Raj, i am happy to be someone you can bounce ideas or rules questions off if you need to.

For trivias sake, i would have taken the USS Boston (I'm a celtics fan living in Australia).

Good luck with it everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone with any comments on the game so far - even if its only how you've found any pre-game planning?

With OPSEC in mind, I can say that even for what looks to be a relatively simple scenario, there are a LOT of little things to consider. I'm sure the players will have plenty to say when its over. B)