Covert-81

Silent Hunter UK

Covert-81%20logo.jpg

I expect that this will go up at AJJE Games over the next couple of days, so I had better advertise it now.

Covert-81 combines three of the areas at I have a great interest in- RPing, espionage and the Cold War, in the form of a play-by-post RPG.

The year is 1981. Détente is in ruins after the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. With the SS-20 missile deployment in the Western USSR and the planned NATO counter-deployments, a new, seemingly hard-line US president and a rapidly arming USSR, it seems that nuclear war is closer than ever.

Behind the summits and the rhetoric, shadowy operations are going on. Two black-ops organisations, one on each side of the East-West divide, battle to gain the advantage in this global struggle.

Choose your side: Section 91, dedicated to protecting Western freedom and democracy, or Chameleon, aiming to ensure the triumph of Marxism-Leninism.

Inspired by such works as Firefox, The A-Team, MacGyver and the Tom Clancy novels, but with the benefit of hindsight and better accents, Covert-81 is a tale of espionage, high-technology, betrayal, danger and really, really bad hairdos.

If you're interested, please PM me or post here.

(yes, that's a "Backfire"- from the DIA Military Art Collection)

This sounds cool. I'm going to have to see how many F-105s were still being operated, and from what air bases in '81.

This sounds cool. I'm going to have to see how many F-105s were still being operated, and from what air bases in '81.

IIRC correctly, they'd been pretty much retired by this point.

No front line duty by '81 (actually, no frontline duty after Nam for that matter), since about half of the 833 built were casualties of the air war in Vietnam, and extended war service meant that most airplanes reached usable EOL by the mid to late 70s

By then, a few were left in Air Force Reserve and the Air National Guard.

Officially retired in 84.

Dang. Well, I could go for whatever replaced it, but something like an F-15 wouldn't be a bad fly either.

Dang. Well, I could go for whatever replaced it, but something like an F-15 wouldn't be a bad fly either.

How about the F-111?

Or the Voodoo, in the Canadian Armed Forces, Air Command, equipped with nuclear tipped Genie rockets to take down strategic Bears coming in from the Cold : retired in 84, but guarded the skies over the Northern end of our continent for a bit more than 20 years :)

Or the Voodoo, in the Canadian Armed Forces, Air Command, equipped with nuclear tipped Genie rockets to take down strategic Bears coming in from the Cold : retired in 84, but guarded the skies over the Northern end of our continent for a bit more than 20 years :)

Now you're talking ... B)

How about the F-111?

:o ! Nuclear Air-to-Air missiles?!

I think I will go with the Aardvark thank you.

How about the F-111?

:o ! Nuclear Air-to-Air missiles?!

I think I will go with the Aardvark thank you.

Basically, then, your character would be an F-111 pilot (or WSO) with TAC or an FB-111 guy with SAC, who also worked for the CIA on the side.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems improbable, but I figure that stranger things have happened.