Requests for the HCDB (Official DB of HCE) and HCDB2

Mgellis

I'm really looking forward to the next HCDB.  :)

A few more requests, if there is time to get them in...

Not enough time for the next update, probably, but the next ...

* RAH-66 Comanche

Sorry, falls into the pure "hypothetical/platform that never was" category.

* Kawasaki C-1 transport (Japan)

* French Commandant Riviere frigates (6 active in 1990)

* Australian Bay Class minehunters (2 active in 1990)

These are all probably doable.

* Are there any other S-60/S-70 helicopter variants that need to be added?

Maybe, want to take a look and get back to me on the most desirable ?

* Yurka minesweeper (Russia/USSR) <-- mostly because some have been sold to countries like Egypt and Vietnam; non-Russian names should be provided if possible

* T-43 minesweeper (Russia/USSR) <-- sales/transfers to Bulgaria, China, Egypt, Indonesia, and Syria; non-Russian names should be provided if possible

* Sonya minesweeper (Russia/USSR) <-- sales/transfers to Bulgaria, Ethiopia, Vietnam, and Syria

* Vanya minesweeper <-- transfers to Bulgaria, Syria, and Vietnam

* Yevgenya minehunters <-- various transfers to other nations, including Syria, Yemen, Bulgaria, and Vietnam

* Adjutant minesweeper <-- used by Spain, Greece, Turkey, and maybe others; these should be included with the current (i.e., non-American) names; a lot of them were active in 1990

* MSC 294 minesweeper <-- same kind of ship, ex-US transferred to various navies around the world; these should be included with the non-American names

Probably all doable.

Thanks again, Brad, for your ongoing efforts.

You're welcome, as always. :)

The newest C-130 is in the INTL section of the database, but I cannot find an export version of the first generation(s). I mention this only because the American version has Rangers as its "weapon," which other countries would not have. (The generic light airborne platoon loadout used with other transports would probably work fine.)

I completely forgot to mention one last thing. The new C-130, which is in the INTL section, and which has been sold to several different countries, only seems to have "American" loadouts. It should probably have a generic light airborne platoon for "realism" when it is being used by other countries.

Mark

We already have the 23mm and 57mm flavours in the ZSU-23 and S-60 systems, but yes, I was planning on adding some "Western" calibers like the 20mm, 30mm and 40mm. Thanks for your request.

Thank you for the additions...this should allow me to put 'lead in the air' as the saying goes. :D

We already have the 23mm and 57mm flavours in the ZSU-23 and S-60 systems, but yes, I was planning on adding some "Western" calibers like the 20mm, 30mm and 40mm. Thanks for your request.

Thank you for the additions...this should allow me to put 'lead in the air' as the saying goes. :D

Here's another request for the official DB.

We have hardly any Libyan Bases. Unless I have totally overlooked them (which given the sheer magnitude of the list is entirely possible), I see only Tripoli and Tobruk.

We have hardly any Libyan Bases. Unless I have totally overlooked them (which given the sheer magnitude of the list is entirely possible), I see only Tripoli and Tobruk.

Related questions and requests...

Can the POSITION of a base be altered in the database? There are a few bases that appear to simply be in the wrong place (Aden, Ambouli (Djibuti), Socotra (Yemen), and Mogadishu are some of them; some of the others are just a little off...I think Alexandria is sitting about five miles into the Mediterranean, taking the idea of beachfront property to a new extreme). It isn't hard to correct their position when you're editing a scenario, but it would be nice if you didn't have to. Thanks.

Also, I think Rabat Sale, in Morocco, can probably handle Very Large aircraft, rather than just Large. According to http://azworldairports.com/airports/p2120rba.htm, it has the following characteristics:

Airfield Data: Fire Category 7

Navigational Aids: VOR/DME

Runway 1: Heading 04/22, 3,500m (11,482ft), PCN 60/F/B/W/T

Aircraft size max: All Size, ILS CAT I

Airlines Serving Airport: Air France, Royal Air Maroc

Can it be corrected (assuming this is enough to rate it for Very Large aircraft)?

After all, there is nothing like having Tu-22s based out of the northwest corner of North Africa to make an Atlantic scenario even more interesting... :)

By the way, I'm assuming airfield size is based on runway length...what are the dividing points for Small, Large, and Very Large?

Finally, if there is room to add bases, may I request the following...

(data from http://azworldairports.com and http://www.world-airport-codes.com)

Medan, Indonesia

Airport Data: International, Position 03°33´29"N, 098°40´18"E, Elevation 35m (114ft)

Airfield Data

Navigational Aids: VOR-DME, NDB

Runway 1: Heading 05/23, 2,900m (9,514ft), 071/F/C/X/T, Aircraft size max: 747, ILS

Banda Aceh, Indonesia

Airport Code : BTJ Airport name : Blang Bintang Runway Length : 6070 ft. Runway Elevation : 62 ft.

City : Banda Aceh Country : Indonesia Country Abbrev. : ID World Area Code : 832 GMT Offset : -7.0

Longitude : 95° 20' 30" E Latitude : 5° 25' 0" N

Hargeisa, Somalia (called Hargeysa in my atlas)

Airport Code : HGA Airport name : Hargeisa Runway Length : 7480 ft. Runway Elevation : 4423 ft.

City : Hargeisa Country : Somalia Country Abbrev. : SO World Area Code : 573 GMT Offset : -3.0

Longitude : 44° 6' 0" E Latitude : 9° 29' 0" N

Qardho, Somalia <-- called Qardho in my atlas but Gardo on the website

Airport Code : GSR Airport name : Gardo Runway Length : 5250 ft. Runway Elevation : 2632 ft.

City : Gardo Country : Somalia Country Abbrev. : SO World Area Code : 573 GMT Offset : -3.0

Longitude : 49° 5' 0" E Latitude : 9° 31' 0" N

Galcaio, Somalia

Airport Code : GLK Airport name : Galcaio Runway Length : 9660 ft. Runway Elevation : 975 ft.

City : Galcaio Country : Somalia Country Abbrev. : SO World Area Code : 573 GMT Offset : -3.0

Longitude : 47° 16' 0" E Latitude : 6° 51' 0" N

K'orahe, Ethiopia <-- called this in my atlas but Kabri Dar in the web site

Airport Code : ABK Airport name : Kabri Dar Runway Length : 10935 ft. Runway Elevation : 1800 ft.

City : Kabri Dar Country : Ethiopia Country Abbrev. : ET World Area Code : 522 GMT Offset : -3.0

Longitude : 44° 16' 0" E Latitude : 6° 44' 0" N

Dili, East Timor

Airport Data: International, Position 08°32´48"S, 125°31´29"E, Elevation 8m (26ft)

Airfield Data

Runway 1: Heading 08/26, 1,849m (6,066ft), 032/F/B/X/U, Aircraft size max: B737

Airlines Serving Airport: Dili Express Airlines, Jatayu Airlines, Merpati Nusantara

Kupang, Indonesia

Airport Code : KOE Airport name : Eltari Runway Length : 6070 ft. Runway Elevation : 335 ft.

City : Kupang Country : Indonesia Country Abbrev. : ID World Area Code : 832 GMT Offset : -8.0

Longitude : 123° 40' 0" E Latitude : 10° 10' 0" S

(these two will unfortunately draw attention to the fact that the island of Timor has been mangled in the West Pacific map)

Jayapura, Indonesia <-- right on the border with New Guinea

Airport Code : DJJ Airport name : Sentani Runway Length : 5741 ft. Runway Elevation : 292 ft.

City : Jayapura Country : Indonesia Country Abbrev. : ID World Area Code : 832 GMT Offset : -9.0

Longitude : 140° 31' 0" E Latitude : 2° 35' 0" S

Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea

Airport Code : POM Airport name : Jackson Fld Runway Length : 9022 ft. Runway Elevation : 148 ft.

City : Port Moresby Country : Papua New Guinea Country Abbrev. : PG World Area Code : 804 GMT Offset : -10.0

Longitude : 147° 13' 0" E Latitude : 9° 26' 0" S

Thanks. And congrats on the Pooner.

Mark

Benghazi is included, too, but not the airport/airfield, which I imagine could be used for military purposes. Here is the information, again from http://azworldairports.com:

Benghazi - Benina International Airport (BEN/HLLB)

Benghazi Airport, Libya, Box 1, Benghazi

Tel: +218 (0)61 97147

Airport Data: International, Position 32°05´49"N, 020°16´10"E, Elevation 132m (433ft), 24 hours

Airfield Data: 2 Runways

Runway 1: Heading 15R/33L, 3,576m (11,732ft), No ILS

Runway 2: Heading 15L/33R, 3,576m (11,732ft), No ILS

Mark

Related questions and requests...

Can the POSITION of a base be altered in the database?  There are a few bases that appear to simply be in the wrong place (Aden, Ambouli (Djibuti), Socotra (Yemen), and Mogadishu are some of them; some of the others are just a little off...I think Alexandria is sitting about five miles into the Mediterranean, taking the idea of beachfront property to a new extreme).  It isn't hard to correct their position when you're editing a scenario, but it would be nice if you didn't have to.  Thanks.

Yes, position can be altered. But the geographical coordinates used in the PE/SE map do not always match those in real life. This means that occasionally I have to manually adjust the position of the Installation in the SE in order to find the right set of "game" coordinates. Its tedious work. I will look at those you have mentioned.

Also, I think Rabat Sale, in Morocco, can probably handle Very Large aircraft, rather than just Large ... Can it be corrected (assuming this is enough to rate it for Very Large aircraft)?

Yeah, thats big enough. Consider it added to the "to do" list.

After all, there is nothing like having Tu-22s based out of the northwest corner of North Africa to make an Atlantic scenario even more interesting...  :)
For sure. ;)

By the way, I'm assuming airfield size is based on runway length...what are the dividing points for Small, Large, and Very Large?

I am using rough guidelines of:

Small (runway of less than 5,000 ft)

Large (between 5,000 and 10,000 ft)

Very Large (10,000 ft or more)

Medan, Indonesia

Banda Aceh, Indonesia

Qardho, Somalia

Galcaio, Somalia

K'orahe, Ethiopia

Dili, East Timor

Kupang, Indonesia

Jayapura, Indonesia

As you know, room in the Installations annex is extremely limited. I am hesitant to add any of these unless you (or someone else) need(s) them for a scenario they are building. (Particularly as some of them have no military worthy of note). Do you really need them ? Or are there one or two you need more than the others ?

Thanks.  And congrats on the Pooner. 

Mark ;)

Thanks, Mark.

Medan, Indonesia

Banda Aceh, Indonesia

Qardho, Somalia

Galcaio, Somalia

K'orahe, Ethiopia

Dili, East Timor

Kupang, Indonesia

Jayapura, Indonesia

As you know, room in the Installations annex is extremely limited. I am hesitant to add any of these unless you (or someone else) need(s) them for a scenario they are building. (Particularly as some of them have no military worthy of note). Do you really need them ? Or are there one or two you need more than the others ?

Yes, you had mentioned room was limited (and certainly we want to keep room for bases if another map is ever added). I don't think any of these are essential--with the 12 generic airfields (4 of each size), it is not hard to add whatever extra bases one might need and just call them by their "real" names in the Orders file. Mostly, it was for "color"--it feels more "real" if you're attacking "Banda Aceh" instead of "Generic Medium Airport 2." :) But if there isn't room, it's not a problem.

Mark

Brad,

Getting back to an earlier question, as far as the S-70s go, I think the only variants not included in the HCDB are the Greek, Spanish, and Turkish ones. I found some information at...

http://www.vectorsite.net/avs70_2.html

http://www.faqs.org/docs/air/avs70_2.html

http://www.helis.com/news/2000/h60gre.htm

http://www.helis.com/news/2001/h60stk.htm

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...rcraft/s-70.htm

Also, I believe the information for the Indian ALH should be changed...the range listed in my International Directory of Miltiary Aircraft is 430 nm (ferry/max. fuel) and with 700 kg. of payload at 215 nm. Army version has two stub wings for 8 anti-tank missiles, 4 rocket pods, or two pairs of air-to-air missiles; naval version carries either two torpedoes or up to four anti-ship missiles on cabin side pylons. Amry versions can carry a ventral 20 mm. gun pod. It doesn't say which weapons have been chosen by India for this helicopter. (It sounds as if there might need to be an Army and a Navy version.)

And a few more requests...

For installations (and I know there are limits here so that's why I'm suggesting generic ones)...

Could we add a second generic bridge? I can see scenarios where you get a MinVic for killing one and a Total Vic for killing both. (We might want to apply this to some of the other categories like the small bridge, the ammo dump, etc.)

Could we add some generic ports (big installation, lots of damage points, capable of handling helicopters but not fixed-wing aircraft unless they're like harriers, etc.)?

Should the ports be one size or "big" and "small" sizes? Sorry, I don't know enough about ports to know what the game-significant differences (if any) there would be.

Could we add some generic bases? This would cover things like terrorist camps, military bases that are not airfields but might be legitimate targets, etc. These too would be capable of refueling and rearming helicopters, etc. And, again, should these be just one size or "large" and "small"?

Bases and ports should also be able to handle airships, I imagine.

While I like having installations "named"--it just adds a little something, I think--adding these generic installations would provide a lot of extra flexibility for scenario design. Add four (or eight) generic ports and four (or eight) generic bases and suddenly you've got a lot of new options.

For "ships" (each class should have several "vessels")...

INTL MISC Heliport (or Helipad?) <-- just what it says. A place where you can land and refuel/rearm helicopters. I'm guessing these can only handle one helicopter at a time (but you could put two or more right next to each other for a "big" heliport). It could also handle airships, perhaps?

INTL VIP VIP Transport <-- basically, an armored limo or SUV used by a leader, industrialist, etc. It needs its own category so that the scenario editor can distinguish it from other transports like trucks, etc. for victory conditions. It's mobile, of course.

And maybe INTL BLDC Civilian Structure <-- school, hospital, office building, etc. Again, it would need its own type so you can put the real target (BLD) in a cluster of BLDC units...hit the wrong ones and you don't get your victory condition! Does this idea make sense?

So....about when will the next HCDB be coming out?

Thanks.

Mark

P.S. I still think you should add, as a type of submarine, sea monsters (Godzilla, Kraken, Cthulhu, etc.). :)

Brad, Getting back to an earlier question, as far as the S-70s go, I think the only variants not included in the HCDB are the Greek, Spanish, and Turkish ones.  I found some information at...

Got it. I've added Spanish, Greek, Turkish, Thai and Japanese versions of the Seahawk. (If you're wondering, the Japanese SH-60J is already in there, but the new version is the SH-60JKai).

Also, I believe the information for the Indian ALH should be changed...the range listed in my International Directory of Miltiary Aircraft is 430 nm (ferry/max. fuel) and with 700 kg. of payload at 215 nm.  Army version has two stub wings for 8 anti-tank missiles, 4 rocket pods, or two pairs of air-to-air missiles; naval version carries either two torpedoes or up to four anti-ship missiles on cabin side pylons.  Amry versions can carry a ventral 20 mm. gun pod.  It doesn't say which weapons have been chosen by India for this helicopter.  (It sounds as if there might need to be an Army and a Navy version.)

There is definitely an Army version that I have yet to add. What year is your source, btw ?

And a few more requests... For installations (and I know there are limits here so that's why I'm suggesting generic ones)... Could we add a second generic bridge?  I can see scenarios where you get a MinVic for killing one and a Total Vic for killing both.  (We might want to apply this to some of the other categories like the small bridge, the ammo dump, etc.)

There is already a Generic Large Bridge and a Generic Small Bridge.

Could we add some generic ports (big installation, lots of damage points, capable of handling helicopters but not fixed-wing aircraft unless they're like harriers, etc.)? Should the ports be one size or "big" and "small" sizes?  Sorry, I don't know enough about ports to know what the game-significant differences (if any) there would be.

A generic port facility might be a good addition. I'll look into this one.

Could we add some generic bases?  This would cover things like terrorist camps, military bases that are not airfields but might be legitimate targets, etc.  These too would be capable of refueling and rearming helicopters, etc.  And, again, should these be just one size or "large" and "small"?

Perhaps a Forward Air Refueling Point (FARP) ?

Bases and ports should also be able to handle airships, I imagine.

Yes.

INTL MISC Heliport (or Helipad?) <-- just what it says.  A place where you can land and refuel/rearm helicopters.  I'm guessing these can only handle one helicopter at a time (but you could put two or more right next to each other for a "big" heliport).  It could also handle airships, perhaps?

I'm not sure I understand this one. Are you suggesting a Ship entry that acts simply as a helipad ?

INTL VIP VIP Transport <-- basically, an armored limo or SUV used by a leader, industrialist, etc.  It needs its own category so that the scenario editor can distinguish it from other transports like trucks, etc. for victory conditions.  It's mobile, of course.

Hmm, I'm not sure if the existing Trucks, Truck Convoy and APC types wouldn't satisfy this already.

And maybe INTL BLDC Civilian Structure <-- school, hospital, office building, etc.  Again, it would need its own type so you can put the real target (BLD) in a cluster of BLDC units...hit the wrong ones and you don't get your victory condition!  Does this idea make sense?

Possibly. I'll take a look at it.

So....about when will the next HCDB be coming out? Thanks. 

Mark

As soon as we get a problem with hcompress figured out. Give us a couple of days.

P.S. I still think you should add, as a type of submarine, sea monsters (Godzilla, Kraken, Cthulhu, etc.).  :)

Is there a scenario waiting in the wings ? Hint hint. ;)

If we're on the topic of base locations, can you look at Orange Caritat?

The HCDB location is 44' 7" N , 9' 54" E.  That puts it in Italy.

I think that the correct location is more like: 44' 7" N , 4' 52" E

Hmm, it looks to me to be right where it should be. The old HC had Orange in the wrong place (in Italy), but I fixed this problem some time ago in the HCDB. Check your SE.

Got it. I've added Spanish, Greek, Turkish, Thai and Japanese versions of the Seahawk. (If you're wondering, the Japanese SH-60J is already in there, but the new version is the SH-60JKai).

There is definitely an Army version that I have yet to add. What year is your source, btw ?

There is already a Generic Large Bridge and a Generic Small Bridge.

A generic port facility might be a good addition. I'll look into this one.

Perhaps a Forward Air Refueling Point (FARP) ?

INTL MISC Heliport (or Helipad?) <-- just what it says.  A place where you can land and refuel/rearm helicopters.  I'm guessing these can only handle one helicopter at a time (but you could put two or more right next to each other for a "big" heliport).  It could also handle airships, perhaps?

I'm not sure I understand this one. Are you suggesting a Ship entry that acts simply as a helipad ?

INTL VIP VIP Transport <-- basically, an armored limo or SUV used by a leader, industrialist, etc.  It needs its own category so that the scenario editor can distinguish it from other transports like trucks, etc. for victory conditions.  It's mobile, of course.
Hmm, I'm not sure if the existing Trucks, Truck Convoy and APC types wouldn't satisfy this already.

And maybe INTL BLDC Civilian Structure <-- school, hospital, office building, etc.  Again, it would need its own type so you can put the real target (BLD) in a cluster of BLDC units...hit the wrong ones and you don't get your victory condition!  Does this idea make sense?

Possibly. I'll take a look at it.

So....about when will the next HCDB be coming out? Thanks. 

Mark

As soon as we get a problem with hcompress figured out. Give us a couple of days.

P.S. I still think you should add, as a type of submarine, sea monsters (Godzilla, Kraken, Cthulhu, etc.).  :)

Is there a scenario waiting in the wings ? Hint hint. ;)

Dear Brad,

Thanks for adding S-70 variants.

My source on the Indian helicopter is the International Directory of Military Aircraft, the 2002/2003 edition.

As for ports, bridges, bases, etc., I was thinking that having two of each kind of bridge would be a good idea, if there is room in the annex to add them (i.e., kill one for a MinVic and both for a Total Victory). So...two large bridges, two small bridges, etc. Same thing with the ports, bases, etc. Have at least two of each.

I'm sorry to confess my ignorance, but I'm not sure what a F.A.R.P. is. :)

My idea is that if there isn't that much room left in the annex (how many slots are actually left?), adding two or three generic examples of the most commonly used types of installations keeps us covered for a wide range of scenarios. The generic ones can stand in for any base, airport, etc. that we might not have room for.

We already have several airfields (which can be customized with SAMs, AA guns, etc.), nuke sites, and certain other structures, but we don't have ports or bases (most likely, bases would represent "terrorist camps" but, if we call them "bases," they can stand in for various other kinds of installations, too--good guys and bad guys). Does that make sense?

We may not need a separate heliport--I was just thinking that if you're creating a "base" that is not immediately shown on the map by putting together some AA guns, buildings, etc., you could customize it further, making it capable of launching helicopters. There is the Eagle's Nest, but it's a barge (BRG) so I don't know if you can put it on land.

I'd vote for a separate V.I.P. transport, just to make it a little harder to kill--one could create a scenario where there is one VIP but several trucks that might draw your attention, but you have to find and kill the VIP to fulfill the Victory Condition. You could probably use the truck data for it, though; it's about the same size and speed. But it would have to be its own class (VIP). Does that make sense?

As for sea monsters...if you add them, I'll write the scenarios. :) I recommend Godzilla, Behemoth, and Kraken as names--all three have faced off against naval vessels in one film or another. I'm assuming that these creatures weigh about 10,000-20,000 tons--utterly ridiculous, of course, but this is just for fun--are very stealthy, capable of great speed, and can listen for "prey" with good passive "sonar." Their main attack would have a very short range, of course, but they would have a lot of "ammo"--since they're basically clawing and biting a ship to death they can attack as often as they wish.

Thanks.

Mark