Falklands 2015/2020

I'm planning on doing a Falkland Islands scenario or possibly a few to study the various different force capabilities that would be available to the Royal Navy / RAF to mount a re-taking of the Falkland Islands should Argentina decide to invade depending on the timescales for attack.

Looking at 2011 / 2015 and 2020

Basically 2011:

Patched up Carrier Group with HMS Ocean, Illustrious and maybe even a rusting Ark Royal, with a few remaining Harrier GR9 planes any maybe some Harrier II's "borrowed " from the US Marines.

Possibility of regional intervention from Argentine Allies (maybe Brazil - Carrier Sau Paulo ex Foch)

2015:

Potential scenario with no British Carrier at all or Maritime Strike Aircraft so either invoking the UK-French agreement to use the Charles De Gaulle or flying American Harriers off of HMS Ocean maybe??? or Perhaps Commonwealth India lends the Royal Navy the Viraat (HMS Hermes) to retake the Falklands 30 years on!

Again possible intervention of Brazilian Navy

2020:

HMS Queen Elizabeth, a Carrier Strike Wing of F-35C Joint Strike Fighter, a full contingent of Astute Class SSN's and Type 45 Destroyers showcase the next generation of the Royal Navy to evict the Argies!

Any suggestions on Argentine Naval Forces present and future would be great though!

Excellent plan for a series of scenarios. Go for it! :)

The Fuerza Aerea Argentina (FAA) is in pretty sorry shape these days, with a great deal of their fleet well past their retirement age and with no replacements in sight.

There was some chatter in 2004 about an offer to sell some ex French Mirage 2000 jets, with some plans to buy Russian air defense systems around the same time.

Neither seemed to go anywhere in the wake of continued economic troubles.

Beyond the new joint OPV project, the ARA (navy) isn't faring much better.

If you want to use the HCE Americas (HCDA) database, just post in the dedicated thread and I will be sure to try and give a helping hand.

Excellent plan for a series of scenarios. Go for it! :)

The Fuerza Aerea Argentina (FAA) is in pretty sorry shape these days, with a great deal of their fleet well past their retirement age and with no replacements in sight.

There was some chatter in 2004 about an offer to sell some ex French Mirage 2000 jets, with some plans to buy Russian air defense systems around the same time.

Neither seemed to go anywhere in the wake of continued economic troubles.

Beyond the new joint OPV project, the ARA (navy) isn't faring much better.

If you want to use the HCE Americas (HCDA) database, just post in the dedicated thread and I will be sure to try and give a helping hand.

Had a look at the HCDA Database, a lot of Argentine Platforms in there!

Will be starting work on this soon, been complicated by a full switch to 64 bit Windows 7 until I can get XP Professional Dual Booting on my new laptop!

For running the editor win7 64bit I use virtualbox and have XP running inside it. Works like a charm. The virtual machine boots in almost no time and once booted I just suspend it when closing virtualbox.

Will be starting work on this soon, been complicated by a full switch to 64 bit Windows 7 until I can get XP Professional Dual Booting on my new laptop!

For running the editor win7 64bit I use virtualbox and have XP running inside it. Works like a charm. The virtual machine boots in almost no time and once booted I just suspend it when closing virtualbox.

Might give that a go, how does it work?

Might give that a go, how does it work?

Basically you start a virtual computer inside your host system. You can connect the virtual computer to your real CD drive for getting the install medium. Most important keyboard short cut to know is right ctrl-alt - this toggles who gets the mouse pointer. When it is assigned to the virtual computer, you cannot use the mouse any longer to access your host. Right ctrl-alt unlocks the mouse pointer. For more details, please see the virtualbox user manual.

Well I've managed to get the Scenario Editor working via the Windows Virtual PC - XP Mode software which I was entitled to by buying Windows 7 Professional so I'm well chuffed with that, hoping to get cracking on the actual scenario next week, want to make sure my research on Argie forces is spot on first!

Quick question, obviously none of the British bases on the Falklands are present in the databases, how can I get round this when adding bases?

Quick question, obviously none of the British bases on the Falklands are present in the databases, how can I get round this when adding bases?

I think you can take any existing base and change it's position with 'ctrl p' or some menu function. Not sure if that's what you want, though.

I think you can take any existing base and change it's position with 'ctrl p' or some menu function. Not sure if that's what you want, though.

I'l give that a go, would be better if it was possible to add new bases to have them with the "proper" names

It's easy, select the base and go to the menu "change group position".

They are also generic bases and airports in the DBs.

And I remember in the Americas DB are a lot of South Atlantic DB, both of UK and Argentina.

I never thought of trying the Americas or South America DB, probably should as there will be a lot more Argie platforms.