Database Design and the HCE Launcher

Hi

Thanks to the HCE launcher it becomes more and more easy to switch between differnet DBs

What i have tested so far is that with the launcher the commonddb files need no longer to be in the HCE Mainfolder and we can edit the name of the files.

so my idea and proposal is that we db-designers, those who publish databases regulary, provide them in a zip container, containing a folder named "databases" containing the db file named like hcdb_20100506.res, oder HC-50to65-DB_20100427.res, etc...

+ the "normal" commondb.res file outside the folder for those not using the launcher...

Maybee at a later point we can distribute the db files as an installer file? So the dbs gets automatically into the hce folder!? B):rolleyes:

the wish behind it, the player gets a folder with a db collection where he easly switches between the dbs with the HCE Launcher

Hi

Thanks to the HCE launcher it becomes more and more easy to switch between differnet DBs

What i have tested so far is that with the launcher the commonddb files need no longer to be in the HCE Mainfolder and we can edit the name of the files.

so my idea and proposal is that we dbh-designers, those who publish databases regulary, provide them in a zip container, containing a folder named "databases" containing the db file named like hcdb_20100506.res, oder HC-50to65-DB_20100427.res, etc...

+ the "normal" commondb.res file outside the folder for those not using the launcher...

Maybee at a later point we can distribute the db files as an installer file? So the dbs gets automatically into the hce folder!? B):rolleyes:

the wish behind it, the player gets a folder with a db collection where he easly switches between the dbs with the HCE Launcher

I like the general idea but wouldn't like to see the download file double up in size.

As I see it the launcher is a great (and getting greater) tools for people who test new scenarios, databases etc, but that the normal launcher that comes with the game is the entry for normal players. Maybe we'd be better if the normal launcher is made able to select databases perhaps in co-ordination with selecting battlesets.

I think one of the things when you get a lot of scenarios, battlesets and databases to choose from is launching the game with everything correct. I forget what database I used or even which battleset for custom battlesets.

I guess ideally each scenario should store information on its database and battleset and automatically load them, but then if you change their name or folder you have a problem.

I definitely like the idea of naming databases.

Don

I like the general idea but wouldn't like to see the download file double up in size.

As I see it the launcher is a great (and getting greater) tools for people who test new scenarios, databases etc, but that the normal launcher that comes with the game is the entry for normal players. Maybe we'd be better if the normal launcher is made able to select databases perhaps in co-ordination with selecting battlesets.

I think one of the things when you get a lot of scenarios, battlesets and databases to choose from is launching the game with everything correct. I forget what database I used or even which battleset for custom battlesets.

I guess ideally each scenario should store information on its database and battleset and automatically load them, but then if you change their name or folder you have a problem.

Don

As far as i remember, the launcher will replace the current launching screen as a start point. Like the H3 launcher.

First you start the launcher, then select to start the game with some personal settings like db etc....

I see your point about the larger dl file.

And your point about the bs/scen containing data about the used db, sounds like the signatur feature of h3/ANW.

BTW 43 veiws on the topic and only 1 answer.... is no one interested in better db hndling? :rolleyes:

Don

As far as i remember, the launcher will replace the current launching screen as a start point. Like the H3 launcher.

I didn't realise that. It makes sense as it is more powerful but also (for some people) more difficult to use. I suppose for very basic users they could just start the GE with no settings selected and use the existing game entry windows, I assume they will stay?

First you start the launcher, then select to start the game with some personal settings like db etc....

I see your point about the larger dl file.

And your point about the bs/scen containing data about the used db, sounds like the signatur feature of h3/ANW.

The hard thing I'd think would be 'linking' to custom databases and battlesets, there would have to be some unique ID code piece but custom items can be written by anyone anywhere in the world so how would the unique ID code be determined?

BTW 43 veiws on the topic and only 1 answer.... is no one interested in better db hndling? :rolleyes:

I agree we need lots of ideas and comments.

I currently use a separate folder for each database within a database parent folder and the same for scenarios for custom battlesets (because you can't tell the battleset from the file type). It would be good not to have this complication. Just having the databases named helps, maybe will will have to stick with a structured folder system.

For me the launcher and DB handling fall into the category of "nice to have", but there are other, bigger priorities, such as the unresolved issues in the Issue Tracker list.

Miscellaneous piece of info...

Any recent scenarios (i.e. EC2003 and newer) have stored within the scenario the name of the database used to save the scenario. So MyFunnyScen.SCm will have information in it that says HCDB-040506 for .res file and HCOfficialCommonDB for .rsr file. A utility (launcher for instance) will hopefully someday key off of that information to automagically match scenario to DB.

Miscellaneous piece of info...

Any recent scenarios (i.e. EC2003 and newer) have stored within the scenario the name of the database used to save the scenario. So MyFunnyScen.SCm will have information in it that says HCDB-040506 for .res file and HCOfficialCommonDB for .rsr file. A utility (launcher for instance) will hopefully someday key off of that information to automagically match scenario to DB.

I assume that includes custom scenarios that I (or anyone) write at home with the Scenario Editor? Pretty cool B)

Thanks.

For me the launcher and DB handling fall into the category of "nice to have", but there are other, bigger priorities, such as the unresolved issues in the Issue Tracker list.

Point taken. Anything us mortals can do to assist?

Point taken. Anything us mortals can do to assist?

The easiest place to start would be to try out the reworked EC2003 scenarios that haven't yet been closed out, and see if the issues have been fixed.