Exact fix of objectives

jugasa77

Hello, I have been playing and my fighters attack enemies without knowing the exact fix of them.

Enemies are in a yellow diamond and the AAMs flights against them.

I suppose that it shouldn't be because AAMs are not BOL weapons. I think that we should have an exact fix of the enemy in order to fire against it.

• 1 month later...

I only just saw this post.

I don't know how sophisticated the game is in this regard, but I think in the case of some missile with inbuilt active seeking this might be OK, but certainly it shouldn't be the case I'd think for something like an old sparrow that relies on the radar illumination from the firing platform. Does it occur with all AAMs?

Agreed that a Sparrow (dependent upon reflection of radar waves off of the target) shouldn't be able to be fired against a non-localized target.  Also agreed that some AAMs can be fired BoL (inertial guidance in the DB).  Also agreed that AAMs with onboard seeking (active radar, infrared, optical) in many real world cases could be fired without an exactly localized target.  

On 3/5/2024 at 8:33 AM, TonyE said:

Agreed that a Sparrow (dependent upon reflection of radar waves off of the target) shouldn't be able to be fired against a non-localized target.  Also agreed that some AAMs can be fired BoL (inertial guidance in the DB).  Also agreed that AAMs with onboard seeking (active radar, infrared, optical) in many real world cases could be fired without an exactly localized target.  

Not sure but can some home on signal from targeted aircraft and if so does HC use this method.

On 3/8/2024 at 2:21 PM, Tony said:

Not sure but can some home on signal from targeted aircraft and if so does HC use this method.

Yes and yes. Some of the HC recognised  homing methods include active radar (missile has radar seeker) and InfraRed. Some have inertial guidance (with or without final guidance) so can be 'pointed' to a location and fired, if it has a afinal guidance system eg IR then it will start using that to look for a target once it gets to its 'aimed' location.