Harpoon in New Windows 10 PC

Fulton Pollywog

I am having problems - my issue is quite similar to what is described at:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2501954&mpage=1&key=

This implies I must dig back and install over multiple time. - Any alternatives to digging for old installs.

Actually all I did was install the "HCE-UpdateComprehensiveInstaller-2009.050.exe" 9299 MB size)

I also have perhaps the same error of "Edit: seems like I did not install the first update correctly, that would be the issue I guess " - I went to C:\program files\ instead of with the X86 add since now at a 64 bit OS (prior was 32)

thanks in advance.

Either of the "Program Files" directories is a poor destination for Harpoon. Windows enforces interesting permissions on those folders that will at best make your experience challenging.

You can uninstall the HCE-UpdateComprehensiveInstaller-2009.050.exe then install it into your actual HC location. Then move the entire HC location outside of "Program Files" and try running it from there. Uninstalling HC entirely and reinstalling outside of "Program Files" would be ideal, you can certainly make it work without doing so, depends on your skill(z) and tenacity ;).

Thanks for replies. Some side points- My install situation has NO Uninstall options visible. Should have remembered- had it outside "Program Files" before (Win 7 and only 32 bit OS). Plus- have dealt with similar stuff at word with a DoD app and moving to Win7.

One point, in my particular case to install Build 2015.17 and to keep use of previous builds, I simply copy and paste the entire (old pre Build 2015.17, including old scenarios and in progress scenarios and pre Build 2015.17 GE and SE) HCE folder in the same Matrix Games folder, change the folder copy name to "HCE OLD", and install the Build 2015.17 in the now original and "new" HCE folder (deleting previously "old" no compatible scenarios to avoid confussions).

It works fine for me, and I can return to the old variant (mostly to consult or play old scenarios) everytime I want.

And yes, to activate one or other I click on the adequate folde and .exe archive.

I personally don't care for the Edge browser at all either. I did the upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, and Internet Explorer is still available, although I had to track it down and create new shortcuts. I've also found that Firefox works well.

No problems with Harpoon yet, other than having to ask Tony how to run the SE. (I was still trying to use the old 16 bit version on a 64 bit system).

I spoke too soon again I see. The Help system for Harpoon doesn't work with Windows 10. I went through this when I first got Vista, and MS had a fix for it. Now the MS Site has fixes for Win 7 and 8, but nothing for Win 10.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanx,

Buddha

I spoke too soon again I see. The Help system for Harpoon doesn't work with Windows 10. I went through this when I first got Vista, and MS had a fix for it. Now the MS Site has fixes for Win 7 and 8, but nothing for Win 10.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanx,

Buddha

First I would suggest not bothering since those help files are even more horribly out of date than the PDF manuals.

If one insists on making WinHelp work, here is what I did:

1. Downloaded the Windows 8.1 x64 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=47671

2. Moved the downloaded .msu file to a temporary location

3. Started a command prompt as Administrator

4. navigated to the temporary location via command prompt window

5. Created a HelpViewer directory and within that an Extract directory

6. Ran expand -F:* Windows8.1-KB917607-x64.msu C:\Temp\HelpViewer

7. Ran expand -F:* Windows8.1-KB917607-x64.cab C:\temp\HelpViewer\Extract

8. Now you have the contents of the installer extracted.

9. I fished out the winhlp32.exe file and winhlp32.exe.mui for my US English installation and copied them to C:\Temp

10. Went to http://www.komeil.com/blog/windows-help-program-winhelp-winhlp32-exeand downloaded the associated file.

11. Extracted install.cmd from the associated file in step 10.

12. Edited install.cmd, at the tail end of the settings section added:

set WindowsVersion=7

goto :BypassVersionError

13. Ran install.cmd as Administrator and voila, WinHelp works in Windows 10 x64.

14. The install.cmd file also makes a couple of registry changes that allow opening the help files over a network connection.

You could also trust the entire file from komeil.com, I chose to trust the files from Microsoft instead.

Thanx Tony. To tell you the truth, I never use the help system either. It just bugs me when something doesn't work. I blame MS for this. It's the second time that I know of that they've done something like this to the help system, the last one being part of the nightmare that was Vista. That time they had a fix on the MS Site, but they apparently haven't gotten around to one for Win 10 yet.

Finally got around to trying it. Works like a champ Tony, thanx.

I really wish MS would leave some of these things alone, and I could sure do without all the UAC/Administrator hassles. Nobody uses this system but me, and even if someone else in the family used it, I wouldn;t need all the headaches.