The truth about assault weapons

CV32

I don't believe that the right to own a lethal weapon is a fundamental human right, but you are entitled to disagree.

I'm betting you already own several. They just happen not to be firearms. In either case, I believe you have a fundamental right to defend yourself.

I don't believe that the right to own a lethal weapon is a fundamental human right, but you are entitled to disagree.

That I agree with, it isn't a fundamental human right but I am also quite sure it is a right guaranteed by the US Constitution. I would go so far as to say it is a right key to maintaining the authority of the Constitution when government no longer represents the Consitution. I imagine there will come a time when the ideals of a Republic fail and the last chance for the Republic will hinge upon that second amendment right. I'm betting on that being a very long time from now (well after I'm dead and gone).

Once we all get done disagreeing on firearms, knives, steel toed boots, and good old fashioned fists we could discuss whether there are any fundamental human rights and what they might be. Haven't come up with any while typing up this message.

Diane Feinstein, an indirect victim of gun violence? That might be stretching logic to its extreme. But its certainly part of life in the US today. Everybody is a victim including the actor and no one is responsible...

She found the bodies of two professional colleagues who had been shot dead. That would be a traumatising experience for anyone.

I'm betting you already own several. They just happen not to be firearms. In either case, I believe you have a fundamental right to defend yourself.

Never disagreed about self-defence. Anyway, what would I do with a rifle in London? Hunt foxes?

Never disagreed about self-defence. Anyway, what would I do with a rifle in London? Hunt foxes?

I know some Brits who do exactly that. You might also take up any of a number of perfectly good sport/target shooting disciplines. No one says you have to, and you might have zero interest in doing so, which is fine, but I have a serious problem with folks telling me that I shouldn't, or cannot, because of their ill-founded fears.

I live in the biggest urban centre in Europe. If I started shooting at foxes in my street (and they have turned up), I'd have CO19 pay me a visit.

I wouldn't suggest you doing that, and I am sure there are other regulations prohibiting hunting in downtown London in any event. :)

I am equally sure, however, that there are folks who live in the countryside or who have access to property in rural areas, who would take up the opportunity. I don't think they ought to be prohibited from owning and using a firearm (legally and safely) because a person in an urban area thinks guns are scary.

They can own a firearm legally with a licence - just not a handgun.

And then we're back to sport/target shooting and self-defense reasons for owning one. Even Piers Morgan (ugh) claims to be "okay" with a person's right to own a handgun.

Or you have one because you're a collector, or you inherited a family heirloom, in which case you could potentially get ridiculous endings like this one:

How a prized WWI Luger ended up in a police exhibits room in North Van