Naval TV shows

Silent Hunter UK

Warship was probably the most recent UK series and I really liked it although wish they'd release it on DVD!

Also been watching Submarine School the last few days where they are showing 6 officers taking part in the infamous "Perisher" command training course on board HMS Triumph!

There was another one on the same theme called How to Command A Nuclear Submarine - pretty good, that.

Just had a look at the trailer for How to Command a Nuclear Submarine on the History Channel website its actually the same programme as "Submarine School" just a different name.

Ah, wondered if that was so.

Warship was probably the most recent UK series and I really liked it although wish they'd release it on DVD!

Also been watching Submarine School the last few days where they are showing 6 officers taking part in the infamous "Perisher" command training course on board HMS Triumph!

There was another one on the same theme called How to Command A Nuclear Submarine - pretty good, that.

Just had a look at the trailer for How to Command a Nuclear Submarine on the History Channel website its actually the same programme as "Submarine School" just a different name.

Ah, wondered if that was so.

There should be more TV shows about the Navy!

• 3 weeks later...
I have not see it, but the series Warship is mentionated elsewhere:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warship_(TV_series)

The Australian girls all liked "Patrol Boat", but I don't think it was anything to do with realism or good drama (although it was good drama) :)

From memory it was a while ago, perhaps 1980's. I think they had an "A" class patrol boat and the first of those came across (from UK?) late 70's (or early 80's?).

A scaled down version of the earlier popular series on the BBC (UK), perhaps "Warship" as mentioned.

Personally I go for the comedy types and McHales Navy was a childhood favourite. I loved the one where the crew had a clothes washing scam going which ended in the base CO's dress uniform getting torpedoed :D

Don

There's a modern remake of the Patrol Boat show, called Sea Patrol. I watched the first couple of seasons, wasn't too bad. I can't make any claims as to it's accuracy.

They started in an http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremantle_class_patrol_boat and then transferred to a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armidale_class_patrol_boat

From what I understand I'd bet the actors were very glad of the 'upgrade' to Armidales. I wonder how much burly they produced, at least the fishing would have been good :D

Don

This is shown on Universal in the UK - I've seen a couple of episodes.

I've just found and borrowed from the local library "Sea Patrol 3" on DVD (four disc set of complete series). I think relative to the original series the 'drama' has been turned up a few notches at the loss of some reality (well I hope so 'cause in the first two episodes RAN personnel are captured and held hostage on civilian boats). A shame the boarding parties didn't carry the good old auto shot gun or my favourite the F1 sub-machine gun, would have been a different story me thinks :D

Don Thomas