Pacific tsunami

Prayers to those in Japan, I suppose the only good thing is that such a large quake was as far from shore as it was. As I heard on the phone from my mom that a 8.9 earthquake hit Japan I wasn't sure I wanted to look at the news sites.

Gauging and responding to the surely massive damage will be a huge challenge for Japan and I wish them well.

Japanese government confirmed around 500 deaths. Around 80 thousand people was evacuated. Japanese news agency Kyodo has reported some 88 thousand pepole is missing. Apparently Japanese Air Self Defence Force lost two F-2 fighter jest when Matsushima airbase was hit by a tidal wave.

Ongoing rescue operation is hindered by bad weather in north-eastern Japan (in some parts of worst hit areas it is snowing).

Around 1 hour ago central and eastern Japan was hit by a series of earthquakes, measuring from 5,5 to 6.2 points.

If it couldn't be worse - apparently situation at the nuclear reactor at Fukushima is deteriorating. Radiation levels are rising, and cooling system is still damaged.

Rescue teams from 45 countries are to head to Japan. It was reported, that some turkish rescue teams already got to Japan and started working in earthquake-hit areas. U.S. Navy is preparing a relief operation with USS Essex taking supplies in Malaysia, bound for Japan. USS Blue Ridge command ship also ready to provide assistance, along with the USS George Washington.

If it couldn't be worse - apparently situation at the nuclear reactor at Fukushima is deteriorating. Radiation levels are rising, and cooling system is still damaged.

That's real bad. Apparently the US is flying coolant or equipment to the reactor?

That's real bad. Apparently the US is flying coolant or equipment to the reactor?

Yes, Hillary Clinton confirmed this - one or two USAF planes were sent to Japan with coolant for Fukushima.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/...dex.html?hpt=T2

According to the news, a total of 18 F-2 jetfighters were damaged in flooded Matsushima Air Base. That something like 18% of entire fleet of F-2?

That's the whole 21 Hikotai (Squadron) of F-2's there. "Other aircraft" were probably T-4's.

1299839283336.jpg

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42052263/ns/te..._science-space/

Gallery showing the before/after satellite images the affected area.

Every newscaster in the USA should take a look at those so they can understand that a few boats disturbed in California doesn't even begin to compare to what has befallen Japan!

That's the whole 21 Hikotai (Squadron) of F-2's there. "Other aircraft" were probably T-4's.

From Aviation Week

[excerpt]

Tsunami Damages Squadron Of Mitsubishi F-2s

Mar 18, 2011

By Leithen Francis

Japan’s ministry of defense is investigating whether it can repair the 18 Japan Air Self-Defense Force (JASDF) Mitsubishi F-2 fighters that were damaged by seawater from the March 11 tsunami.