Trivia returns !

CV32

I've decided to revive the trivia questions that I used to post to the hull mailing list. I don't know how often they'll pop up here, but every now and then I'll post a trivia question for you to consider. Its pretty tough to come up with some challenging trivia for the die-hard types that frequent the Harpoon community, especially with the advent of powerful search engines like Google. But, anyway, we'll give it a go ... Here's the first:

Trivia # 1:

There is believed to be only one event captured in a photograph where a Medal of Honor was actually being earned. Who earned it ?

Have fun. B)

I've decided to revive the trivia questions that I used to post to the hull mailing list. I don't know how often they'll pop up here, but every now and then I'll post a trivia question for you to consider. Its pretty tough to come up with some challenging trivia for the die-hard types that frequent the Harpoon community, especially with the advent of powerful search engines like Google. But, anyway, we'll give it a go ... Here's the first:

Trivia # 1:

There is believed to be only one event captured in a photograph where a Medal of Honor was actually being earned. Who earned it ?

Have fun.  B)

Thanks for reviving the Trivia Questions, Brad. :D

I believe it's this one you're referring to, and if so, it's one heck of a story. If not, it's still one heck of a story ;)

http://www.homeofheroes.com/wings/jackson.html

Ahhh, you're just too good. Or a skilled "Googler". Either way, you got it right. ;)

The next trivia question follows:

Two heroes from the past have an identical link with the everyday activities and travels of American soldiers in Iraq today. One served in WWII and one served in Vietnam.

Who were these men, and what is the link ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright, enough waiting. :rolleyes:

Here's the answer:

The much maligned (but mostly misunderstood, IMHO) Stryker wheeled armored vehicle (previously known as the Interim Armored Vehicle) is named in honor of two American soldiers who were awarded the Medal of Honor (posthumously).

Pfc Stuart S. Stryker, who served with the 513th Parachute Infantry during WWII, led an attack near Wesel, Germany, that resulted in the capture of more than 200 of the enemy and the rescue of three American pilots.

Spc Robert F. Stryker, who served with the 1st Infantry Division in Vietnam, was decorated for saving the lives of his comrades near Loc Ninh.

There, now don't you feel like you should have got that one ? :P

Brad

The next trivia question ...

When was the first unmanned flight of the B-2 Spirit stealth bomber ?

A few years after the first unwomaned flight? :lol:

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123008993

(You're right, Brad, Google makes this stuff go easy sometimes -- but not always, so please do keep on it, we learn something new with every question.)

Aarghh ... no, that's correct. Alright, you big brained smart-aleck's ... here's another:

Circa 1980, you are a pilot with the PVO's 787 IAP. Suddenly, the klaxon rings, and the coded alarm call comes ... Jastreb !

What is happening ?

(Hehe, I think I have you now, Mr. Page and Mr. Brin ... :ph34r: )

Let's see, I'm now running to my Mig-23 out on the flight line hoping that I can get in the air and into position to shoot down that straight-winged reconnaissance plane heading into Romania from Yugoslavia. Best I toast him before he takes any pictures!

How is that for a fine story? :D

• 2 weeks later...

To recap the question: Circa 1980, you are a pilot with the PVO's 787 IAP. Suddenly, the klaxon rings, and the coded alarm call comes ... Jastreb ! What is happening ?

The answer ...

You are the pilot of a MiG-25PD "Foxbat" interceptor based with the 787th Fighter Regiment at Finow-Eberswalde airbase in the former German Democratic Republic (GDR, commonly referred to as East Germany). The alarm signals the approach of an American SR-71 Blackbird reconnaissance aircraft, probably just minutes away and travelling along track X-027 (a route that ran parallel to the GDR/Czechoslovakian borders and was intended specifically to monitor Warsaw Pact troop rotations in the Autumn). The "Jastreb" alarm later came to signify the approach of any high altitude, very fast movers. Cool, eh ?

More information can be found in Sowjetische Fliegerkrafte Deutschland 1945-1994 (Soviet Fighter Aircraft in Germany 1945-1995), edited by Lutz Freund.

• 3 weeks later...