May 11, 200818 yr Ignore stuff like cost, building possibilities. I created the two of these for a play-by-post RP I'm running, set in 2014. The first one is a stealth fighter, the other is a CVG, Sukhoi Su-50 "Fantasy" The Su-50 is a Russian stealth fighter, developed in secret with the help of information acquired from the F-117 that was downed in Kosovo and first encountered by NATO in 2014. It is only detectable on radar within IR missile ranges and IR missiles are only really effective when fired at its tail. The aircraft is basically a more rounded (and more real-world) version of the "Firefox", from the movie of that name. Capable of Mach 1.4 on burner, it has a ferry range of about 2,500 nm. Built to be an attack aircraft, its internal weapons bay is capable of carrying a single Kh-15/AS-16 missile or anything up to that size in the Russian inventory. Inside the bay are also two R-73/AA-11 IR-homing missiles, for defensive purposes. The aircraft also features a 30mm cannon. It is a two-seater aircraft, with a pilot and WSO. Thoughts?
May 12, 200818 yr Thinking about fictional aircraft is always good fun. Why just the single missile payload for an attack aircraft?
May 12, 200818 yr Author Thinking about fictional aircraft is always good fun. Why just the single missile payload for an attack aircraft? Not enough room, basically. The Nighthawk doesn't carry much either.
May 13, 200818 yr Not enough room, basically. The Nighthawk doesn't carry much either. Yes, the Nighthawk has just the two hardpoints, but its obviously a very different aircraft from your Mach 1.4 plane.
May 13, 200818 yr Author Not enough room, basically. The Nighthawk doesn't carry much either. Yes, the Nighthawk has just the two hardpoints, but its obviously a very different aircraft from your Mach 1.4 plane. It can't do supercruise, just exceed Mach 1 on burner. It actually has three hardpoints when you count the "Archer" missiles.
May 13, 200818 yr It actually has three hardpoints when you count the "Archer" missiles. Yes, I noted the self-defense AAM armament, but a single hardpoint for offensive weaponry seems pretty sparse for an attack jet. But hey, its your idea.
May 13, 200818 yr I agree that a single hardpoint for air to ground is pretty sparse but I really applaud holding back on the specs (except the stealth factor), that is so difficult to do! Does the Su-50 use "active stealth" as well? That would be a good explanation for the unbelievable level of stealth achieved if you can only get a radar detect in AIM-9 type ranges.
May 13, 200818 yr Author I agree that a single hardpoint for air to ground is pretty sparse but I really applaud holding back on the specs (except the stealth factor), that is so difficult to do! Does the Su-50 use "active stealth" as well? That would be a good explanation for the unbelievable level of stealth achieved if you can only get a radar detect in AIM-9 type ranges. I'll make it two hardpoints. The "Kickback" takes up both. I'll add some Yehudi lights and have a later version have a form of active camouflage. The F-117A could, apparently, only be detected by search radars within a few miles (but slightly longer than its bomb throwing distance). (Most of the hits of "active stealth" get some movie).
Create an account or sign in to comment