UK retires ALARM missile

CV32

The Typhoon can't carry it and the Tornado is being retired; with the reduced LCS of the former, anything short-range can probably be dealt with just as easily by Brimstone. Or buy HARMs.

The route chosen by the UK MoD is that they will rely on PGMs (not the greatest of ideas) and/or rely on their allies (i.e. the USA), the latter probably being the most realistic and likely option.

Brimstone proved an excellent plinker against elderly/short range IADS, in CMANO experience, but I would not be anxious to try it against a modern system. The CMANO and Harpoon databases will have to make some adjustments to accommodate the unfortunate demise of ALARM.

Probably the latter, but if the UK gets involved in anything against a modern system anytime before F-35 arrives, I severely doubt they will even enter enemy airspace. In fact, I do not, unless there is a major change in the geopolitical reality, see the UK involved in any major war, air or otherwise, this side of 2025 - there is no likely target (the Argentines can't even seal a deal for second hand Mirages) and no political will for it.

• 1 year later...

... defense officials have confirmed ... that stocks of the U.K.’s ... Alarm (Air Launched Anti-Radiation Missile), have been retained, and that pilots are still being trained to use the weapon ... a stockpile is being held in contingency until the end of Tornado operations.

(Aviation Week)

• Like 1