Chinese carrier heads to sea again

I'm thinking its a flight deck trainer (a mock-up). I would say the helo is the real deal.

The ChiComs are slow and methodical (that's their nature). They will probably practice moving it around the flight and having their quija board guys get training in flight ops. Dollars to doughnuts, the next time the ship goes to sea, if you see two of more aircraft - that means they will be conducting real flight ops.

Slow and methodical - that's the overall ChiCom way - they freaking practice and worry things to death, unless they have overwhelming numbers and then they follow Soviet doctrine and steamroller their enemies.

Just a thought - how successful has the PRC been at war? It couldn't even roll over Vietnam in 1978.

In '78 the ChiComs were operating on the Sviet playbook. Having seen how effective their foray in to Vietnam was, seeing Russia's expereince in Afghanisatan, our victories in the 1st and 2nd Gulf Wars and witnessing first-hand US Naval training exercises along with sending observers to other internatonal training exercises, I think the ChiComs are improving their game. Aditionally, one can also see an improvement in the design and contruction of their ships and other defense materiel.

I think the dragon encountered on the modern battlefield (both on land and sea) will a different breed, than the one encountered in 1978.

• 2 weeks later...

More commentary on the Chinese carrier effort, and more discussion about the possible name.

From http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/28/us-china-carrier-idUSBRE87R15X20120828

[excerpt]

Analysis: China's aircraft carrier: in name only

By David Lague

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:57pm EDT

(Reuters) - When Japanese activists scrambled ashore on a disputed island chain in the East China Sea this month, one of China's most hawkish military commentators proposed an uncharacteristically mild response.

Retired Major General Luo Yuan suggested naming China's new aircraft carrier Diaoyu, after the Diaoyu islands in the East China Sea. It would demonstrate China's sovereignty over the islands known as the Senkakus in Japanese, he said.

• 2 weeks later...