Mauritania vs ?

Mgellis

Friends,

While playing around with ideas for scenarios, I came up with the following notion...what if China, in return for a lot of oil, sold Mauritania a gob of military equipment...roughly speaking, a squadron of a dozen JF-17s, about half-a-dozen patrol boats and missile boats (Type 62, Type 37, etc.), some SAMs to protect their main airport/airbase, a couple of Y-8 maritime patrol planes, and a healthy supply of stuff that goes boom! when you fire it at people. By 2017, the stuff has arrived, pilots have been trained, etc.

So, I'm asking the hive mind, who might Mauritania get into a serious brawl with? Neighbors like Morocco? The E.U. (I guess relations with France have been a bit rocky over the years)? And why? What would be likely to spark the conflict? Border dispute? Someone poaching someone else's fisheries? Has Mauritania ever been accused of harboring terrorists?

Any other ideas?

I look forward to your suggestions. Thanks!

Mark

The Western Sahara region and the old province of Spanish Sahara is for years a source of low intensity conflicts. A light view of the region recent past can be a very good inspiration for scenarios. Actor can be in the period from 1975 to our times Spain, Morocco, Argelia, Mauritania, Frente Polisario and Al Qaedain the Islamic Magreb. About disputed resources in the region, yes, fisheries but also fosfatos (I'm with the phone and if I translate it I can loose the text) and very probably oil an future oil rigs on the continental shelf. And piracy and kidnapping, and political piracy and kidnapping. Is a very conflictive region very misunderstood and bad referenced. )Ou can start with Spanish Sahara in the wikipedia, and after foolow some links from it, and they are a narrative of the moroccan air campaing in the Sahara in agsi.org ;)

A heavy Chinese investment in resource extraction (like oil and iron) means an influx of money into a historically impoverished nation.

It is rather doubtful that the 'new money' gets distributed well among the population, meaning, cynically, that the rich and powerful get even more rich and more powerful.

Then look at the political history: counter-insurgency, coups, military junta, flawed elections, etc.

Throw in some ethnic tension, terrorist influence (Magreb) and friction with neighboring states, and voila, lots of stuff to create a scenario background.

• 4 weeks later...
... and they are a narrative of the moroccan air campaing in the Sahara in agsi.org ;)

The link mentioned weeks ago (acig, not agsi :rolleyes: ):

http://www.acig.info/CMS/index.php?option=...28&Itemid=1

The first scenario involves E.U. forces vs. Chinese-sold-to-Mauritania forces. I've revised it several times, so I think it will be a tough one when I'm done...among other things, I've deliberately limited air access (Gran Canaria is a long way from Mauritania...you can refuel at Cape Verde, but not re-arm...logistics are at full realism and I deliberately tweaked how many missiles and bombs are available so you only have so many sorties to rely on, and the only aircraft-carried long range missiles are SEADM loadouts, although it should be enough). I also had a realization that a country like Mauritania would probably employ its towed artillery (it already has a bunch of these) as shore defenses to keep those nasty E.U. ships from simply parking offshore and bombarding things...so that's something else people will have to deal with.

For more "civil unrest" operations, I will have to wait, I think, until more troop loadouts are added to the database. The trouble with just aircraft vs. terrorists scenarios is that it is usually just too easy, at least in game terms. Even with auto-detect off, unless the terrorists have a zillion shoulder-carried SAMs, modern smart munitions and spy planes and drones and so on are just too much of an advantage. Realistically, the terrorists, etc. will simply disperse if you bomb them and come back later...you will get some of them, but to really seize control of an area and make sure they do not just come back a week later, you need troops on the ground to handle certain threats. Harpoon 3 models that to an extent right now, but it does not have all the options I want for certain scenarios. (We need more special forces, US Marines, boarding parties, maybe even a generic SWAT team, etc.) Eventually, they will be added, and I don't mind waiting.

Mark

Definitely Morocco. They have struggled in the past and still have unsettled maritime claims. Morocco is commissioning two flavors of the Damen Schelde SIGMA and Mauritania could see this as a threat. The EU is currently navel gazing over their poor economic state and I don't think they even see Mauritania on the radar.

FWFS,

Greg Emerson, DM1(SW), USN

Renton, WA, USA

• 1 month later...