AI Search Results

wombat1417

I'm working on upgrading on old scenario. A Red search aircraft has detected a Blue surface group, and visa versa. There are Red submarines in the area of the contact, but watching with the Cheat Key, it seems that they don't seem to make any kind of move to intercept but keep following thier pre-programed courses.

Is this the proper behavior according to the programming, or is there something wrong with this scenario?

I haven't had a chance to delve into the code (and it is unlikely I'd find the right tidbit in less than hours of time) but my recollection is that the behavior you are seeing for submarines is correct. Surface groups should tear off after detected opponents (many scenario authors don't like this). Land groups were meant not to but a certain programmer after me set them to act like surface groups and I haven't undone that yet so I expect they'll still chase as well.

I haven't had a chance to delve into the code (and it is unlikely I'd find the right tidbit in less than hours of time) but my recollection is that the behavior you are seeing for submarines is correct. Surface groups should tear off after detected opponents (many scenario authors don't like this). Land groups were meant not to but a certain programmer after me set them to act like surface groups and I haven't undone that yet so I expect they'll still chase as well.

So submarines just move around in patrol boxes and fire to what comes into range and is detected by them or do they also fire at targets that are detected by other means?

Thanks Tony

So submarines just move around in patrol boxes and fire to what comes into range and is detected by them or do they also fire at targets that are detected by other means?

Thanks Tony

Submarines follow their courses (well, minus the jinking and weaving and bobbing). If the sub or any other unit on the sub's side detects an enemy and that enemy comes in range, the sub may fire at it whether the sub itself detects it or not.

That's how I expect it to work anyway.

Submarines follow their courses (well, minus the jinking and weaving and bobbing). If the sub or any other unit on the sub's side detects an enemy and that enemy comes in range, the sub may fire at it whether the sub itself detects it or not.

That's how I expect it to work anyway.

I'm pretty sure this is how it works, as I have had carriers take missile fire from Oscar SSGNs from far outside any reasonable sonar/CZ range.