Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

HarpGamer

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lowest Bidder

Featured Replies

I downloaded and updated my game engine to the 2008.0047 release and noticed something interesting... Flankers are impervious to missiles! 6 Flankers coming out of Norway (NACV Battleset) were confronted by 12 Phamtom's and 4 Tornado's with a total of 64 LR Air-to-air Missiles... and within 15 nm of the targets and all I was able to get for 64 launches was one kill! So when did we change vendors for the Skyflash/Sparrow Missiles?..

My own Flankers in pboiler's "Russia vs Japan" scenario have not been so lucky. I've lost quite a few Su-27 and Su-35 to those dang F-35 JSF. (Though I have taken a few with me in very very long range missile exchanges).

Skyflash and Sparrow missiles are rather old missiles, though...

 

Yes, and I'm guessing Rabbit was playing the older stock NACV battlesets (rather than the EC2003 battlesets), which means he was using the stock, non-editable database.

 

Even in the EC2003 battlesets (using the HCDB), the Sparrows have a PK of 40-55 percent (depending on variant) and Sky Flash has a PK of 55 percent. Not very impressive stats when pitted against a maneuvering Flanker.

The Tornado ADV is an interceptor- designed to shoot down bombers, not fighters.

 

True, the Tornado ADV was intended to intercept Soviet bombers far out to sea before they could reach the UK. Its high altitude performance suffers due to its heritage as a low level strike jet, but it is plenty fast at low level (at least for short dashes) and it tends to hold its own in air exercises. Apparently with still superior maneuverability over Phantom. (Also, notably, Sky Flash can only be launched at one target at a time, but HCE doesn't model this).

Indeed, the original Tornado was a strike aircraft, developed as a successor to the Vulcan in the UK service.

 

The ADV version is being replaced by the Eurofighter, while the original IDS version (RAF designation GR.4) remains in service.

  • Author
Skyflash and Sparrow missiles are rather old missiles, though...

 

Yes, and I'm guessing Rabbit was playing the older stock NACV battlesets (rather than the EC2003 battlesets), which means he was using the stock, non-editable database.

 

Even in the EC2003 battlesets (using the HCDB), the Sparrows have a PK of 40-55 percent (depending on variant) and Sky Flash has a PK of 55 percent. Not very impressive stats when pitted against a maneuvering Flanker.

Still... 10+ missiles per a/c?.. come on...

  • Author
Skyflash and Sparrow missiles are rather old missiles, though...

 

Yes, and I'm guessing Rabbit was playing the older stock NACV battlesets (rather than the EC2003 battlesets)...

I have never really enjoyed nor agreed with the basis for the EC200X Battlesets... I guess when you've played the "real game" against Ivan and his friends, realigning the world order is something I associate with SciFi. The alliances created in these battlesets, in my opinion, are not realistic therefore I never really enjoyed them.

 

I would loved to have seen older battlesets (60's 70's and 80's) when the Cold War was real and so were the advesaries. The original Harpoon was based upon the "Dark Empire". I guess scenarios that are based on fiction rather then reality deviate from what I've always enjoyed about Harpoon.

 

I am sure others find them "interesting" and again... I am a big fan of SciFi... but for me it will always be "cowboys and cossacks". From the way things are currently going... this may no longer be a historical question.

  • Author
Still... 10+ missiles per a/c?.. come on...

 

Nobody loaded your dice. :P

Dice?.. plural?.. not die? So that's my problem... I've only been rolling the one die!.. :lol:

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.