Toolbox in-flight refuelling query.

Rescue 193

Apologies for bothering you again with another trivial question.

This time I have a "how to do it" query about Toolbox IFR procedure to which, I hope, someone can give me a step-by-step "idiot's guide"

I'm using Toolbox V171-3 in build 2021.006.

The problem (well, for me its a problem!) is this: I have an air group which is returning to a base which is 950nm away. 

The group comprises:

000: 1-KC-135R (endurance: 942mins/7222nm) with 5799nm fuel available

001: 5-F-16-C/D Blk30/32 (endurance 101mins/774nm)

002: 1-F-16-C/D Blk30/32 (endurance 11mins/90nm)

Obviously, I need to pass fuel from 000: to 002 as a priority and then have 000: top-up 001:. I know there's a way to do this (there is isn't there?) but I'm damned if I can get the sequence right.

I manage to either: a) Pass fuel from 000: to 002: but exhaust the tanker's capacity in so doing or; b) Replenish 001: but have nothing left for 002:.

So, please tell me (and assume zero knowledge, intelligence and understanding on my part) 'exactly' how I should sequence things, what instructions should I use in in Toolbox, to get both 001: and 002: back to base without hearing that horrible "whoosh-kerbang" sound effect?

Thanks in advance for your patience and help.

5 hours ago, TonyE said:

Can you zip and upload a saved game from just before you initiate refueling?  For sure the tanker should not be empty after filling up 002.

I'll certainly do that for you.

However, its not the game or toolbox that's at fault, but more a case of my ineptitude when it comes to using toolbox.

The description/instructions in the dll.txt file assume a degree of understanding/competence that I clearly lack - to put it more bluntly I haven't a b@@@dy  clue as to what I'm doing! 

Remarkably enough I've managed to solve the problem myself!

The instructions behind the settings tab in Toolbox has a more complete description of "how to do it" than the dll.txt file. I hadn't thought to check in there before.

As I suspected I was running the process incorrectly but now I know how to do it properly.

As the only saying goes:  "You can't make the system foolproof because we fools are just to ingenious." 

My apologies for troubling you.   

LOL

4 hours ago, TonyE said:

Thank you for posting, I'm sure this will help others in the future!  Plus you scared up donaldseadog who wrote the toolbox :)

LOL!

I'm sure that Donaldseadog (probably) doesn't scare quite so easily!

But if, "... by helping others in the future... ", you mean idiots like me ought read the instructions first, then you have a point.

However, if I might make so bold (not that matters because I'm going to anyway 🤪 ). It would help us mere mortals if the cognoscenti did a little more staff work and kept the rubric up to date. When one reads the dll.txt that comes with the Toolbox V1.7.0 download I think one has the right to assume it applies to that download rather than its forerunners (I've checked the refuelling text and it is identical). True, the new text behind the settings tab in V1.7.0 does it explain things more clearly and even I was able to sort things out... but honestly... it could have been done a little better don't you think?

Okay. Maybe I'm being churlish... amend that... I am being churlish...  Toolbox is a superb tool... and I've said so elsewhere on this forum so thank you Donaldseadog...  and having just used Lazarus Turncoat for the first time, thanks to you too TonyE... its definitely worth its own Bravo Zulu! However it did take me a couple of 'goes' to establish that the Lazarus Turncoat  window doesn't open within the Harpoon window but as a separate window (in my case it opened behind it so it wasn't too easy to find) and a little confusion ensued.       

I'm an ignoramus and have no mandate to speak for those players who are like me. But, for the record, I appreciate what you all do. I marvel at you dedication and brilliance. I enjoy the improvements that you make, and bring, to the game along with the database builders, the scenario designers and everybody else involved. Clearly, you're all eccentric/borderline barmy but, where I come from, that's necessarily seen as a "bad thing" and  I thank you all for your efforts.

My plea would be for you to remember there's at least one fool out there struggling with all this so, please, try to keep it simple (not so easy) and make it obvious (much simpler 'cause you know WTH is happening!).

Thank you.

R193 

• Thanks 1