Forum FAQ

What happened to moderating new posts?

The HarpGamer Forums are no longer fully moderated. This means that your post will now appear on the board immediately.

We do reserve the right to edit and/or delete inappropriate submissions after their posting to the forums, and we encourage you to ensure your post is compliant with the Forum Guidelines.

I have built a scenario for Harpoon Commander's Edition, and I'd like some feedback. What to do?

New scenarios are always welcome, encouraged, and even sought after. ;) You will find a helpful, knowledgeable, and encouraging environment at HarpGamer for new scenario writers. All the major databases for HCE are found here, as well as a large library of scenarios.

If you're looking for scenario ideas, help with building a scenario you're working on, some helpful feedback about where your scenario might be improved, or just some feedback about how your scenario was enjoyed by others (or how it kicked their butt, hehe), you'll find it here.

There's a dedicated sub-forum for Scenario Design & Discussion that you will find here.

Because scenario files are (thankfully) quite small, you can zip up your 'scenario in progress' file and attach it directly to your post in the above noted forum.

I have built a scenario for Harpoon Commander's Edition, and I'd like to share it. What to do?

HarpGamer has a dedicated Downloads section for HCE scenarios.

The scenarios are organized by BattleSet, so simply find the BattleSet to which your new scenario belongs, and upload your zipped file there. We'll approve the upload as soon as possible.

You should add a little commentary that tells what your scenario is about, or what the player might expect.

Be sure to advise which database you used to create your scenario.

The actual zipped file should contain three individual files:

(1) the actual scenario file, which are automatically identified by their filename extension (as explained here).

(2) a file containing a set of orders for the BLUE side

(3) a file containing set of orders for the RED side

You should use the Orders Writer to create BLUE and RED orders. If the scenario is intended for play by one side only, say BLUE, you should still add some basic information in the other (RED) tab, if only wording to the effect that "This scenario is intended for play by the BLUE side only".

I have a request for a new platform in a database, or I think an entry might need fixing. Where should I post my request?

Database designers generally welcome requests for new platforms, weapons, sensors, etc, especially if you intend to use that platform in a new scenario that you hope to share with other players. Each database has its own design guidelines, so if your request is in keeping with those guidelines, it stands a good chance of inclusion.

Database designers are equally appreciative of notes and reminders that a certain entry might contain an error, typographical or otherwise. Keep in mind that any database is always a 'work in progress' and its a huge undertaking to try and maintain one database. Many designers around here maintain several! Also, there may be a legitimate difference of opinion about whether a certain entry is 'accurate' or 'realistic'. While a designer will probably be very happy to hear you out, you should also appreciate that the final decision belongs to the designer, of course, and he may have his own reasons for deciding to take the database in any given direction.

There's a dedicated sub-forum for Database Design & Discussion that you will find here.

There's a specific thread for HCDB requests in that sub-forum that we'd ask that you use, in order to streamline tracking of such requests and subsequent changes to the DB.

How do I add a Youtube video to my post?

This is a standard Youtube link: h*tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms6dXiIDofE

Where the video code is the following portion ms6dXiIDofE.

The proper tags for Youtube videos are therefore [youtube*] insert video code here [/youtube*], without the asterisks of course.

The end result is a video window in your post that readers can click and play.

Updated 7 February 2012

• Like 1