June 14, 200818 yr After Action Report: French Ivory A scenario by Mark Gellis 'French Ivory' is a new HCE scenario for the 'South Africa' Battleset. I played the scenario using beta 2008.042. Three French journalists working in the Ivory Coast, investigating government corruption, were arrested five weeks ago on charges of espionage. France had been using diplomatic pressure to get them released, but ten days ago the men were brutally murdered by other prisoners. France has learned that the killings were actually ordered by the government of the Ivory Coast. In response, France has decided to punish the Ivory Coast by destroying three of its offshore oil rigs. During the crisis, relations between the Ivory Coast and Algeria have warmed significantly. Algeria has been especially outspoken in its criticism of France, saying the European nation is deliberately using the situation as an opportunity for imperialistic adventure, and has promised assistance to its "brother in the struggle against E.U. aggression." More disturbing than the rhetoric, however, are intelligence reports that Algeria has moved some aircraft to the Ivory Coast. Furthermore, an Algerian submarine has been spotted off the western coast of Sierra Leone, heading south. The Marine Nationale (French Navy) task force AAS deployed to West Africa consisted of the Mistral class amphibious assault ship Mistral (L9013), the Forbin (Horizon) class anti-air warfare frigate Chevalier Paul (D621), and the modernized La Fayette class frigate Courbet (F712). Deployed aboard Mistral were sixteen brand new helicopters, including ten NH90 Tactical Transport Helicopters (for the Commandos de Marine, or naval commandos also deployed aboard) and six Tiger HAP combat helicopters of the Detachement ALAT des Operations Speciales (DAOS, a French Army aviation special operations unit). Each of the escorting warships carried a single Lynx helicopter. Present position of Task Force AAS was roughly 200 nm southwest of the Ivorian capital of Abidjan, with intelligence indicating that the target oil rigs were somewhere to the north. Rather than race north, however, perhaps into the hungry jaws of the Algerian submarine that was reported to be lurking out there, somewhere, I decided to head due east while I scoped out the situation. While the task force maintained total EMCON, a single Lynx was launched from Courbet and moved to the northeast. Its relatively short ranged surface search radar found nothing, but shipboard ESM soon detected the telltale signatures of the emissions from both MiG-29 Fulcrum and Su-24 Fencer airborne radar systems. Apparently the Algerians had arrived in force and were ready and willing to make their presence known. The Lynx quickly returned to its ship. Since I had a well defined objective, little room to maneuver, and virtually nothing in the way of offensive air support, I decided I would have to rely heavily on the capabilities of my Horizon type frigate and its impressive anti-air warfare systems. Radars were energized aboard Chevalier Paul and she moved into an area air defense position. The drawback of doing so became quickly apparent. Eight incoming missiles were soon detected, rapidly classified as Chinese built C.801 anti-ship missiles, probably launched from Algerian Su-24 Fencers (though these were not detected). Given my heavy reliance on the Chevalier Paul, I decided to keep tight reins on the air defense engagement and only a minimum of long range Aster 30 and medium range Aster 15 surface to air missiles were launched. They proved their worth, knocking down all of the enemy sea skimmers with relative ease. Following this rather unpleasant welcome, Task Force AAS turned north. Chevalier Paul’s long range radars and ESM systems still detected the presence of a pair of MiG-29s patrolling nearby, and eventually these wandered a little too close for comfort. Chevalier Paul held fire until the two fighters were just about within visual range, and then launched two salvoes of Aster 30 (a total of three missiles). Both Fulcrums fell burning into the sea. Again Task Force AAS changed direction, turning northeast and picking up speed to 20 kt. It occurred to me that eventually my naval group would be out of air defense missiles, and I had no idea how many aircraft and other weapon systems the Algerians had moved into the region. Trusting that Paris would not have sent me on this little jaunt without plenty of foresight (of course, that never happens), I pushed onward. Not long thereafter, my long range surveillance radars detected a flight of six Su-24 Fencers, quite close, heading my way and hugging the deck. Quickly they turned away and headed back – the telltale sign of missile launch! Aster 30 went into action, this time seeking the archers instead of their arrows. Five missiles dropped four Su-24s before they escaped out of range. Those Algerian pilots and jets would not be returning on a further raid. My attention then turned to the more pressing threat, now resolved to be no less than 12 C.801 missiles. The missiles were already too close for comfort, and since I might need her assistance now, the frigate Courbet joined the fray, energizing her radars and activating her weapon systems. Chevalier Paul and her Asters once again proved invaluable, a combination of Aster 15 and 30 knocking down eleven of the incoming C.801s. The final missile was destroyed by a Mistral IR homer, also launched from Chevalier Paul. Following this last, rather stressful confrontation, Task Force AAS altered course again and now moved due north. I decided to locate and prosecute my objective post haste. Finding that the MiG-29 patrol had not been revived, a new Lynx helicopter patrol was launched to conduct a search to the northwest. Its cautious patrol found no targets, however, and soon the helo returned to ship. I must have moved much further east than I had intended, and after some searching, I finally detected the first of three oil rigs to the west. (I guess they really were due north in the first place, hehe). The task force raced westward, with now only four hours remaining on the clock. At approximately 30 miles distance from the oil rigs, and with no new air threat appearing, the Commandos de Marine force was readied and launched. Two pairs of NH90s headed for the first rig, while a flight of three NH90s flew off toward each of the remaining two rigs. They were escorted by a pair of DAOS Tiger attack helicopters. The intention was to arrive on their individual targets virtually simultaneously, but the first flight (with a total of four NH90s) got a little ahead of their companions and struck at Oil Rig 17. They met no resistance, and quickly disabled the platform with carefully placed explosives. Within a few minutes, Oil Rig 8 was also disabled (Min Vic was awarded at this point), quickly followed by Oil Rig 19. Major Vic was awarded with 1 hour 20 minutes remaining. Thanks for another enjoyable scenario, Mark. I was a little worried that I would run out of those rather expensive Aster air defense missiles, but fortunately their aim was true and the scenario was well balanced (as usual). Its refreshing to play a HCE scenario in a ‘brand new’ part of the world map. Thanks for making that happen. (Note: The new, official ‘South Africa’ Battleset uses the ‘SCu’ scenario suffix. Since your scenario was built while the ‘South Africa’ map was still a proposed custom battleset, I had to rename your scenario file to have the ‘SCu’ suffix, and your orders files to have the ‘BLu’ and ‘RDu’ suffixes respectively. You should probably upload a new zip file that has these changes made).
June 15, 200818 yr (Note: The new, official ‘South Africa’ Battleset uses the ‘SCu’ scenario suffix. Since your scenario was built while the ‘South Africa’ map was still a proposed custom battleset, I had to rename your scenario file to have the ‘SCu’ suffix, and your orders files to have the ‘BLu’ and ‘RDu’ suffixes respectively. You should probably upload a new zip file that has these changes made). Is there a new patch to HCE? I downloaded the most recent one and when the scenario editor saves the scenario it uses the scz automatically. I can make the changes, though. Mark
June 15, 200818 yr Author Is there a new patch to HCE? I downloaded the most recent one and when the scenario editor saves the scenario it uses the scz automatically. I can make the changes, though. Mark The suffix 'scz' was the one in use while the South Africa was still just one of the proposed maps. When the next patch comes out, that map will use the 'scu' suffix.
Create an account or sign in to comment