July 8, 200521 yr Cuts in the number of warships diminishing Navy's global role By Michael Evans, Defence Editor TimesOnline THE Royal Navy has had to cut back on its presence around the world because it is running out of warships. After last year’s announcement that the Navy’s fleet of frigates and destroyers was to be cut from 31 to 25, the Ministry of Defence has been reviewing all maritime commitments. John Reid, the Defence Secretary, announced yesterday that three of the Royal Navy’s main tasks would have to be cut back, although none of the commitments would be dropped, as feared by MPs on the Commons Defence Committee in a recent report on Britain’s defence capabilities. From the end of this year there will be only one frigate or destroyer on patrol in the Gulf and Indian Ocean instead of the two that have been involved in counter-terrorism patrols in the region, as well as protecting shipping in the narrow Gulf waterway. The reduction to only 25 frigates and destroyers means that Navy chiefs have had to take the risk of deploying a sole warship to police this vast area. The commitment to the fight against drugs in the Caribbean is also to be curtailed. Mr Reid said that a destroyer or frigate assigned to Atlantic Patrol Task North, which embraces the Caribbean, would be on station for only three months of the year, from July to October. This is the high-risk period of hurricanes in the region when Royal Navy ships have often been called upon to provide humanitarian support. However, in future a Royal Fleet Auxiliary Wave vessel, which is equipped with a helicopter, would also be sent to the Caribbean for a longer period, from May to October, and contribute to operations against drug trafficking. A single warship will still be on patrol in British waters, as before, and the commitment in the South Atlantic will also remain the same — one frigate or destroyer, as well as HMS Endurance, the Antarctic ice patrol vessel used by the Queen for the International Fleet Review off Portsmouth last week. Admiral Sir Alan West, the First Sea Lord, has given warning that reducing the number of warships would put a strain on commitments. He told the Commons Defence Committee last year: “One warship can’t be in two places at once.” The MoD said that the changes in the Gulf and Indian Ocean had been made possible because other coalition forces were taking a greater share of counter-terrorism duties in the area. The reductions announced yesterday came after it was confirmed that the aircraft carrier HMS Invincible was being withdrawn from regular service six months earlier than planned and would be put into “extended readiness” later this summer. This will leave one carrier, HMS Illustrious, with the role of operating fixed-wing aircraft. HMS Ark Royal, the third carrier, is in refit. HMS Ocean, another flat-platform ship, carries helicopters and will also be available for operations alongside HMS Invincible.
July 9, 200521 yr Author Navy to have one aircraft carrier BBC The UK will have just one aircraft carrier, the MoD confirmed The Royal Navy will have just one aircraft carrier in service when HMS Invincible is de-commissioned six months early, the MoD has confirmed. A ceremony is due to be held on 3 August to mark the end of the 22,000 tonne warship's 28-years of service. Portsmouth South MP Mike Hancock claims the decision to axe Invincible has come because of the cost of the Iraq war. HMS Ark Royal is due for a major refit. In the meantime HMS Illustrious is the only operational Navy carrier. 'Nonsense' A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said the early decommissioning ceremony was being held so the crew could mark the vessel's career while it was still "a live ship". "There's no requirement to have Invincible running at full speed for the next six months," he said. This is all about the MoD finding funding to meet the costs of the war in Iraq Mike Hancock Portsmouth South MP "It will be the last opportunity to fly a paying-off pennant because there'll be no crew on board when she's towed out of Portsmouth in four or five years' time." Mr Hancock said: "I am appalled by this - I think it is complete and utter nonsense. This is all about the MoD finding funding to meet the costs of the war in Iraq." The MoD said the Invincible would be gradually relieved of its crew and captain soon after the decommissioning ceremony. The crew will be given new postings and the vessel will be handed over to the MoD's Disposal and Reserve Ships Organisation where it will be mothballed until it is sold in 2010. The carrier was launched by the Queen in 1977. The Duke of York was based on board as a Sea King helicopter pilot during the Falklands war. The vessel had a £64m refit in 2001 and acted as the Royal Navy's flagship in last week's International Fleet Review. Invincible is the sixth ship in the Royal Navy's history to bear the name.
Create an account or sign in to comment