Database update schedule?

Gunny had mentioned the possibility of putting out an update to the HUD-4 every month or so.

Would it make sense to simply use a regular schedule? Maybe every other month? Basically, whatever gets done during that period, whether it is a lot or a little, major fixes or just a couple of new platforms, is what goes into the update. So we might see releases in, say, February, April, June, August, October, and December of each year. Some would be big ones and some would be not so big, but they would come on a regular basis, and everyone would know when the next one was coming.

Ultimately, this is Gunny's decision, but I would encourage him to do something like this...my experience as a teacher, a scholar, and a writer is that scheduled deadlines like this help you get the work done, and help you figure out how to fit a particular project into the rest of your schedule. It can actually make things easier.

Anyway, it is just a thought.

Mark

Hi Mark,

A schedule would be something good, but given my level of responsibility at work; since I may have to accomplish extra duties, and also due to real life events, scheduling things may not be ideal. As I write, I'm just back from my work. It's about 9:00PM, need to fill basic needs and prepare to an other tensed day, 2012 isn't really over for me, and 2013 already comes with a major rethinking on how should work people like me. So tonight will be without any upgrade to HUD4 new standards as it is the case other days. I prefer not to commit in any schedule, updates will be published when I feel there's a need to it. So far, I've published 2 updates in the wake of 3.11 public beta release, it's certainly not bad.

FG

Hi Mark,

A schedule would be something good, but given my level of responsibility at work; since I may have to accomplish extra duties, and also due to real life events, scheduling things may not be ideal. As I write, I'm just back from my work. It's about 9:00PM, need to fill basic needs and prepare to an other tensed day, 2012 isn't really over for me, and 2013 already comes with a major rethinking on how should work people like me. So tonight will be without any upgrade to HUD4 new standards as it is the case other days. I prefer not to commit in any schedule, updates will be published when I feel there's a need to it. So far, I've published 2 updates in the wake of 3.11 public beta release, it's certainly not bad.

FG

Not bad at all. I confess my own interest in a regular schedule is simply that I want to know when the next update is coming out. If I know there is not going to be one until, say, March, I can plan around that. I would also like to see a new official update soon, simply because you seem to have found a solution to the ASROC issue, and that's important enough that it really should be out there as soon as it is feasible to publish it. I'm waiting on that before I upload any new scenarios. But obviously real life concerns like work have to come first. Or, as I like to say, "Being a responsible husband, father, and professional is playing havoc with my gaming." :)

Next update should be available in about 2 weeks, fixes the ASROC and starts the HUD4 conversion to new standards (around 10% ships are now converted, and this figure should be around 15-20% for next release, All the Hornets and Prowler variants are also converted.

FG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a quick mail to warn that next release of HUD4 v1.11 will be next Sunday evening, European time. To avoid issues, I'll send files directly to Tony. What's new is that compared to previous version, now about 50% of ships, 15% of aircrafts, and 5% of sensors are converted to new standards. Figures as of today, it will change in the coming week.

FG

New version sent to Tony and downloadable as of now. Enjoy. Figure are now 51% of ships, 21% of aircrafts and 9% of sensors converted. Next version planned in 4 weeks.

FG

Just curious...what exactly do the new standards do? Are they simply providing greater realism, improved playability, closer correlation between ANW and the printed Harpoon rules, a combination of these things, or what? What made you decide to do the conversion?

When Darren passed away, his formulas were lost. On the other hand, AGSI's folks and Larry Bond provided me with Annexes and spreadsheets. I came to the conclusion that it could unbalance the simulation. One day, I ran into a button of the Reimer Editor I didn't pay attention to earlier. A quick comparison between the data given by the button and data generated by the spreadsheets showed they were stricty identical. So my decision was taken to unify things.

Makes the values dramatically change, around 200 more input value, it means something that couldn't be detected before can be.

FG