A way to handle barracks/troops

Mgellis

I had an idea. I'm not sure it will work, but it might simplify adding troops to a scenario...

Barracks are where troops are usually "stored." Why not give the generic barracks in the database a "magazine" and as new troop types (I notice that Rangers and French Marines are in the database now, but I didn't see any others, although I may have missed them) are added, one could simply add them as possible weapons in the magazine of the barracks? A barracks would always start with NOTHING and would have to be edited. But once a barracks with troops is attached to a base, like an ammo dump, those troops can be added to aircraft.

Another idea...a compromise between realism and making an enormous amount of extra work for anyone editing the database. At least at first, ships do not have troops (i.e., do not try to edit every single ship in the database so its magazine now includes some troops); only aircraft and bases do. To put troops on a ship, you load them into a helicopter at a base and fly it out to the ship; then use them to attack whatever you are hitting them with. Eventually, you can start adding troop loadouts to a ship's magazine, but this would let you add a lot of different troop types to the game more quickly, I think.

I might also add a generic Infantry Squad, Infantry Platoon, and Infantry Company, just so you don't have to figure out stats for every single country that has troops that might be used in airborne, helicopter-borne, etc. attacks. Eventually, we should have troops for the U.S., U.K., France, Germany, Russia, China, Australia, India, Japan, South Korea, Spain, Italy, and possibly Indonesia. And probably a few countries I missed. But if it looks like things are going to get too complicated, generic troops can be used as a stop-gap.

Anyway, I hope all this helps.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your interest. I'm also thinking about having a "barracks-like" facility. Would be nice to have a concept of troops' filling cargo plane. Would make possible to create Gulf War I what if scens with Iraqi troops trying to bomb/raid the barracks in Saudi Arabia whilst US is pouring troops in it.

As for generic troops, of course, it would be easier. But I want to have close to reality figures, that's why I'm making by nationality, since every country have different figure for same type of unit. As an example, French company has 120 men, German has almost twice more.

Best regards,

FG

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your interest. I'm also thinking about having a "barracks-like" facility. Would be nice to have a concept of troops' filling cargo plane. Would make possible to create Gulf War I what if scens with Iraqi troops trying to bomb/raid the barracks in Saudi Arabia whilst US is pouring troops in it.

As for generic troops, of course, it would be easier. But I want to have close to reality figures, that's why I'm making by nationality, since every country have different figure for same type of unit. As an example, French company has 120 men, German has almost twice more.

Best regards,

FG

Reasonable, although I do not envy you! :)

Eventually, we'll probably also need troops for...

Argentina <-- 4th Parachute Brigade (Argentina)

New Zealand <-- NZSAS

Denmark <-- The Jaeger Corps (Danish: Jægerkorpset) is the special forces unit of the Royal Danish Army stationed at Aalborg Air Base

Poland <-- GROM

Netherlands <-- Korps Commandotroepen

Norway <-- Marinejegerkommandoen

Israel <-- Shayetet 13? Or some other special force?

Greece <-- 1st Raider/Paratrooper Brigade (Greece)

South Africa <-- 44 Parachute Regiment (South Africa)

Brazil <-- Brazilian Special Operations Brigade

Canada <-- Canadian Special Operations Regiment

Malaysia <-- Grup Gerak Khas?

Thailand <-- special forces

Sweden <-- Särskilda Skyddsgruppen

...and I'm sure I've missed a few that deserve inclusion. But I suspect that is more than enough to keep you busy!