TacOps Live Scenario Test

pmaidhof

Pete, if you feel enterprising, you could come up with some kind of multi-part campaign that we could play (according as we are available to do so) over a period of time, and then report back here with a series of after action reports.

Could be fun. ;)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete, if you feel enterprising, you could come up with some kind of multi-part campaign that we could play (according as we are available to do so) over a period of time, and then report back here with a series of after action reports.

Could be fun. ;)

I'd be "game". I'll give it some thought, and I'd like to hear any of you all's ideas, your preferences, live network game, multi-player cpx, pbem - all tied into some type of campaign.

Pete

I'd be "game". I'll give it some thought, and I'd like to hear any of you all's ideas, your preferences, live network game, multi-player cpx, pbem - all tied into some type of campaign.

Pete

I am thinking some series of Tacops scenarios that depict one small part of the the classic WWIII Soviet advance through West Germany, or maybe North Korea, whatever. The background does not particularly matter.

The results in each scenario would carry over in some way to what happens in the next scenario.

I'd probably prefer to see the live network type of game.

Pete

I am thinking some series of Tacops scenarios that depict one small part of the the classic WWIII Soviet advance through West Germany, or maybe North Korea, whatever. The background does not particularly matter.

The results in each scenario would carry over in some way to what happens in the next scenario.

I'd probably prefer to see the live network type of game.

I could use a board wargame to come up with a general situation, then find an applicable map, jerry-rig some OOB's and away we go.

I also liked the network game approach. Keeping the game to a manageable 2-3 hours in an evening is nice.

Maybe we can conduct another test with you, Tony, and perhaps Brains, in order to seemlessly integrate a third person, with that whether its a third, fourth or whatever should be fine.

Pete

[Edit] And keeping track of losses and applying them to the next "battle".

I could use a board wargame to come up with a general situation, then find an applicable map, jerry-rig some OOB's and away we go. I also liked the network game approach. Keeping the game to a manageable 2-3 hours in an evening is nice.

Agreed.

Maybe we can conduct another test with you, Tony, and perhaps Brains, in order to seemlessly integrate a third person, with that whether its a third, fourth or whatever should be fine.

Sure, I'd be up for that.

If we do this for fun, which I am leaning toward, it could get started soon. If people are into counting remaining rounds of 5.56 ball for a particular squad on the map...it will take considerably longer.

If we do this for fun, which I am leaning toward, it could get started soon. If people are into counting remaining rounds of 5.56 ball for a particular squad on the map...it will take considerably longer.

Heh, I don't have exact numbers for how many rounds of 5.56mm ball I have in real life (though I am sure it is not enough), let alone virtual ammo. :D

This is just for fun. ;)

ok, ginned this up rather quickly so I am open to others ideas

There will be 9 random maps from the TacOps disk. The first battle will be a meeting engagement. First player will be blue, second will be red. A third player will be rolled, odd = red, even = blue. That third person will actually be assigned a different color but will be friendly toward either the red or blue, most likely the attacker, with the defender receiving some unexpected reinforcements.

Each player will start with a four company battalion of three tank co and one mech co, and one battery of artillery in DS support.

After the first scenario run though, each player will be allotted 3 Asset Points (we can add more if necessary). A player can buy a randomly rolled for additional unit. A second Asset Point may immediately be spent to upgrade that unit (ex. from a T-72 to a T-80 based unit or from a arty battery to a n MLRS battery)

Forces will be determined by d6

1. Tank Co

2. Mech Co

3. UAV Support

4. Arty Battery

5. MLRS Battery

6. Attack Helicopter section

Each scenario mission will be determined for each side by d6 roll.

1. Attack

2. Defend

3. Attack

4. Delay

5. Attack

6. Defend*

* Roll again if both sides end up with a defend/delay mission.

I will use literary license to provide a thumbnail sketch of the general situation and missions. If I really get fancy, I could provide an operational .bmp graphic or even ask the player for initial positions once a mission is determined.

ok, ginned this up rather quickly so I am open to others ideas

I would say you've done a rather good job of it. All looks good to me.

I'd be happy enough to let someone else on IRC to take my 'turn' too, if I am not around or available.

In fact, we could juggle it between as many players who might be available and interested.

If anyone would like some pre-holiday goodness, i.e. some live multiplayer TacOps today (I'm home) let me know.

...will be generally available right after Easter

As the Drill Instructor once bellowed, "...Well...I'm Waiting".

:D

Please give a suggested start date that you and at least one other would like to begin. Wednesdays are out. All else do-able.