Currently Reading

pmaidhof

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Better War: The Unexamined Victories and Final Tragedy of America's Last Years in Vietnam by Lewis Sorely

An interesting read thus far surveying the change in command climate when the overall US Military leadership in Vietnam transitioned from General William Westmoreland to General Creighton Abrams in post Tet 1968. Operations went from Search and Destroy/Bodycount centric to Secure and Hold with the protection of the Vietnamese populace the primary focus.

Currently reading "Arsenals of Folly"; a critical look at nuclear weapons policy and the policy makers from the late sixties up to the current era.

Another good read is "Interservice Rivalry and Airpower in the Vietnam War" available from the Center for Military History. It looks at the parallel development of US Army Aviation and the US Air Force and attempts by both to 'usurp' combat roles/aircraft. Primarily it looks at close air support aircraft development and usage, rotary wing development, employment, and who should 'own' them, and a quick look at the non-combat cargo fixed wing aircraft operated by the army and differences in how the army would use those assets versus the air force.

• 1 month later...

Just finished Lucky War about the US 3rd Army during Operation Desrt Shield/Desert Storm. It was written by the 3rd Army Historian, Richard M. Swain, not long after the end of the "war", so along with the story there is continued defense of LTGEN Yeosock from the CINC US CENTCOM General Schwarzkopf's "attacks" due to the contemporary release of the CINC's book It Doesn't Take A Hero.

Overall a good read if interested in such machinations.

Just starting The Battle of Spicheren August 6th 1870 by noted 19th Century British military historian then-Lieutenant Colonel G.F.R. Henderson.

• 3 weeks later...
Just starting The Battle of Spicheren August 6th 1870 by noted 19th Century British military historian then-Lieutenant Colonel G.F.R. Henderson.

This was a good read. Other than having the foresight to use google images for a map of the area fought over, I enjoyed this one and helped me better understand some things for a future game of kriegsspiel.

• 4 weeks later...

The Marne, 1914, The Opening of World War I and the battle that changed the world by Holger H. Herwig was cracked open yesterday. Looking forward to a relatively new treatment on this topic.

Currently tackling The Guns of August, by Barbara Tuchman. Was on the 'bucket' list for awhile now.

Me too, and provide I do not burn out gaming 1914: Twight in the East and reading another Marne book.

• 2 weeks later...

Must recommend the Herwig book on the Marne. If you have an interest in the opening campaign of WWI in the west, go for it!

Picked up Death of an Army - the first battle of Ypres, 1914, in which the British Regular Army was destroyed by Anthony Farrar-Hockley from the library.

Currently tackling The Guns of August, by Barbara Tuchman. Was on the 'bucket' list for awhile now.

Read this one about six years ago - I highly recommend it. I've mentioned this before, but Macmillian and Kennedy read this just before the Cuban Missile Crisis kicked off.

Had to read her "The Zimmerman Telegram" in high school, finally got to this one late last year. Massive in detail, definitely NOT light reading: will require your fullest attention, but worth doing. The first chapter, with the crowned heads of Europe at King Edward VII's funeral, is alone worth the price of admission.