Currently Reading

pmaidhof

Currently tackling The Guns of August, by Barbara Tuchman. Was on the 'bucket' list for awhile now.

Read this one about six years ago - I highly recommend it. I've mentioned this before, but Macmillian and Kennedy read this just before the Cuban Missile Crisis kicked off.

Had to read her "The Zimmerman Telegram" in high school, finally got to this one late last year. Massive in detail, definitely NOT light reading: will require your fullest attention, but worth doing. The first chapter, with the crowned heads of Europe at King Edward VII's funeral, is alone worth the price of admission.

The Eastern Front gets under-appreciated here; we focus on the Western Front (which killed more British Empire subjects than the entire Second World War) a bit too much without looking at some of the other stuff in that brutal war.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

One nugget from my current reading Arabs At War, Military Effectiveness, 1948-1991 by Kenneth M. Pollack is that I never knew the official or semi-official name of the HAWK SAM is "Homing All The Way Killer" B)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Scored a bunch of used books today for a coupla bucks apiece ... now to find time to read them. :rolleyes:

Admiral Arleigh (31 knot) Burke, by Ken Jones and Hubert Kelley Jr.

Sink 'Em All, by Charles A. Lockwood, Vice Adm, USN, Rtd

Carrier, by John Wingate

Ace! A Marine Night Fighter Pilot in WWII, by Col R. Bruce Porter

Submarines at War, 1939-45, by Alastair Mars

The Big E, by Cdr Edward P. Stafford, USN

Inside the Soviet Army, by Viktor Suvorov

Ah, Suvorov. Picked this one up in a charity shop for a couple of quid. Some of the stuff about the conditions of conscripts is very interesting; mind you, the whole thing does read like a gift to a Cold War paranoiac.

Yes, I expect so. Published in 1982. I think I might have read this book before ...

• 3 weeks later...

Elusive Victory, The Arab-Israeli Wars 1947-1974 by Trevor N. Depuy. Very interesting. Currently in the October 1973 War and the Israeli's just punched General "Bren" Adan's Ugdah across the canal to Sharon's bridgehead and they are now racing down toward Suez, racing to enclircle the Egyptian 3rd Army before the UN Ceasefire takes effect.