Ship photos

wombat1417

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something different....a ship bit.

During the scrapping of USS Enterprise (CV-6), the sternpiece was saved and displayed at a Little League field in River Vale NJ. Now it's the centerpiece of the River Vale Veterans Park. Except for the scuttles incorporated in the bow of CVN-65, this appears to be the only surviving piece of the ship.

It's a sort of out of the way location. I happened to be headed nearby so I made a point of tracking it down. If you can't find the park on the Google Map, look for the town library - it's right next door.

Link at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?unam...&feat=email

Larry Gertner

wombat1417

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very impressive museum, It was unknown to me that number of important pieces entouring the USS Nautilus Museum (I was thinking the museum was only Nautilus and a limited number of not very interesting pieces, I was uncapable of dreaming about a lot of midget submarines :o ).

USS Nautilus is very meaning to me, and not only for me, his historical significance is increasing with the past of the years.

But the reason is another, the (ugly) Revell model kit of Nautilus was my second model kit (the first was the Airfix F-104G Starfighter with Canadian decals, and the third I think Revell's B-17F Flying Fortress, facts marking a life ;) ).

About the supossed DSRV, I'm thinking about it .....

Nothing here, and are listed the submarines in the Groton Museum:

http://www.hnsa.org/class.htm#so

Also excluded DSV-1 to DSV-5 and DR/V Deep Quest, all with a similar size/configuration.

Perhaps a net/cable tender/repair submarine ?

Incidentally:

A model unknown to me:

http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/FRANKLIN/HTML/ben_franklin.html

(P.S. Can anyone ID the unknown DSRV at the old museum?

You sure it is a submarine rescue vehicle?

I have the feeling that at the time (1984) the "R" stood for "Research".

I'm pretty sure I remember reading about this particular craft as a kid, but just can't dredge up the name.

I can't believe how dumb I can be....

1) "Wheels on a submarine" made me remember something about Simon Lake, and sure enough, it's his Explorer of 1936.

Follow this link:

http://www.jbarchuk.com/subsculpture/explorer.html

I wonder why the museum tossed it, and if it's still at that marina.

2) Then I saw that the reverse of the old museum flyer distinctly lists "Simon Lake's research submarine EXPLORER" as an exhibit....AND I DIDN'T NOTICE IT FOR 26 YEARS???

OY!!!!

Very impressive museum, It was unknown to me that number of important pieces entouring the USS Nautilus Museum (I was thinking the museum was only Nautilus and a limited number of not very interesting pieces, I was uncapable of dreaming about a lot of midget submarines :o ).

USS Nautilus is very meaning to me, and not only for me, his historical significance is increasing with the past of the years.

But the reason is another, the (ugly) Revell model kit of Nautilus was my second model kit (the first was the Airfix F-104G Starfighter with Canadian decals, and the third I think Revell's B-17F Flying Fortress, facts marking a life ;) ).

About the supossed DSRV, I'm thinking about it .....

It's a nice place to spend a few hours. If you drive further down the road from the Memorial, you can see what Electric Boat has on the ways.

I was hoping the engineering spaces on Nautilus would be open, but they're not: not because you'd come out glowing in the dark but because (as a sailor put it) "there's still enought stuff back there to interest the bad guys".

I had the Revell kit, too; and somebody's inaccurate SEAWOLF; and the Polaris sub with the full interior that launched a missile.