32-bit Scenario Editor Progress

TonyE

How to do that?I just bought a new PC, running Win 7 HP 64bit and the scenario editor no longer runs. How to make it happen?

tia Ralf

Ralf, it has to be either Win 7 Professional or Ultimate. I've been using the SE with Win 7 Pro 64 bit for a long time now.

Windows Virtual PC

For what it's worth, VPC is only supposed to run on Vista Pro or Ultimate as well. The fact is that I've run it for over a year on Vista Home Premium without any problems. The only limitation I've found is that MS won't provide tech support if you have one of the lower end OSs installed. Just click past the warnings during the install process.

Buddha

I have win 7, and the xp compatibility mode does not have the scen editor working. Am i doing something wrong?

is the only option to have a virtual pc?

thanks

Yes, that's right. The problem is that the SE is a 16-bit program, and your 64-bit OS is not set up to run those, you need a 16-bit or 32-bit OS for that. Some sort of virtual pc is usually the best solution.

How to do that?I just bought a new PC, running Win 7 HP 64bit and the scenario editor no longer runs. How to make it happen?

tia Ralf

Ralf, it has to be either Win 7 Professional or Ultimate. I've been using the SE with Win 7 Pro 64 bit for a long time now.

Windows Virtual PC

For what it's worth, VPC is only supposed to run on Vista Pro or Ultimate as well. The fact is that I've run it for over a year on Vista Home Premium without any problems. The only limitation I've found is that MS won't provide tech support if you have one of the lower end OSs installed. Just click past the warnings during the install process.

Buddha

Erm ... Buddha, didn't we decide there were legal issues with that course a while back? :(

tia Ralf

Windows Virtual PC

Buddha

Erm ... Buddha, didn't we decide there were legal issues with that course a while back? :(

No legal issues that I can recall. A far as I've been able to determine, the only issue is that MS can't guarantee 100% compatibility with the lower end versions of the OS and therefore don't provide tech support. It was an MS MVP who told me about the possibility of running VPC on Vista Home Premium to begin wth.

Buddha

No legal issues that I can recall. A far as I've been able to determine, the only issue is that MS can't guarantee 100% compatibility with the lower end versions of the OS and therefore don't provide tech support. It was an MS MVP who told me about the possibility of running VPC on Vista Home Premium to begin wth.

Buddha

Better research it then, Windows XP mode is only legal for Pro, Enterprise, and Ultimate like I've listed a zillion times already........

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...ompare?T1=tab01

Buddha

Better research it then, Windows XP mode is only legal for Pro, Enterprise, and Ultimate like I've listed a zillion times already........

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...ompare?T1=tab01

In an effort to clarify the VPC question, I called MS this morning and was informed that while VPC didn't receive tech support on the lower end OSs, there was nothing illegal about installing and using it. As to installing XP (or any other OS) on there, you'd need a legal copy of the OS in question, which I already have.

Buddha

In an effort to clarify the VPC question, I called MS this morning and was informed that while VPC didn't receive tech support on the lower end OSs, there was nothing illegal about installing and using it. As to installing XP (or any other OS) on there, you'd need a legal copy of the OS in question, which I already have.

Buddha

Exactly, the question was not VPC, it was Windows XP mode. It is not legal to use Windows XP mode without Win 7 Pro, Enterprise, or Ultimate.

I have win 7, and the xp compatibility mode does not have the scen editor working. Am i doing something wrong?

is the only option to have a virtual pc?

thanks

Tony mentions that you need Win 7 Pro or Ultimate. Not Home Premium, which I have.

The good news for me is that I have a laptop running 32-bit Win 7 HP, thus I can use this machine. Haven´t followed the HC developments closely for a longer time and am deeply impressed by all those excellent new scenarios. Makes appetite to do one by myself, again!

• 4 weeks later...

Much as I hate to beat this topic to death, I'll submit the following after conversing with MS Support.

Although MS Virtual PC is not qualified for technical support with the lower end versions of Vista and 7, there is no legal prohibition against using it. I have a fully legal XP Cd bought with my old system, which is now in a landfill I'd guess. Since I have a valid license to install XP on one PC, there is no copyright problem if I install the OS on a VPC or a regular PC.

I also have every version of Windows from 1.0 on, all purchased by me legally, running on VPCs. MS support informs me they have no objections.

I get the impression we're talking apples and orange here. Compatibility mode may not be built into the lower end versions of 7, but if you're like most of us who've used Windows for years, installing an earlier version that you're licensed to use shouldn't propose any legal problems.

I get the impression we're talking apples and orange here.

Yes, you are talking any generic virtualization approach. In your case Virtual PC but it could just as easily be VMWare or qemu or virtualbox, etc. It is extremely rare for a person to have extra Windows licenses sitting around, not to mention that legality requires a retail or volume license in that case, OEM licenses do not apply, further limiting the audience. Then the person has to have the technical acumen to do the installation. By that time the audience is narrowed to the people who have already implemented virtualization and aren't clamoring for a 32-bit SE because they've 'seen the light' already.

I am talking about a specific solution, Windows XP Mode that includes all of the necessary licensing. Windows XP Mode is either a download (Win 7 Pro/Ent/Ult) or anytime upgrade away (Win 7 Home) for any Windows 7 computer, at a cost less than buying a Windows XP license and drop-dead simple setup, the latter part being key to people clamoring for a 32-bit SE, they want convenience and Windows XP Mode offers that in a way your virtualization solution does not.

• 3 weeks later...

This won't be a solution everyone wants to try but there is a place near us that is selling older XP P4 systems with monitor, keyboard and mouse for $100. You have to move files between computers but you don't have to mess with setting up a virtual machine that way. Full disclosure, I have no affiliation at all with this company but if anyone is interested drop me a note I will send you the link or you can just google for used computers coming off business leases. There are tons of them out there pretty cheap, just make sure it comes with an OS (some don't)

This won't be a solution everyone wants to try but there is a place near us that is selling older XP P4 systems with monitor, keyboard and mouse for $100. You have to move files between computers but you don't have to mess with setting up a virtual machine that way. Full disclosure, I have no affiliation at all with this company but if anyone is interested drop me a note I will send you the link or you can just google for used computers coming off business leases. There are tons of them out there pretty cheap, just make sure it comes with an OS (some don't)

Good point, a tactic a few players have taken. The SE doesn't need much horsepower and can easily run on an older XP or even Windows 2000 machine though the off-lease XP or Vista approach is imho infinitely more sane if you are buying a machine.