Splash One Mudhen

Silent Hunter UK

How do these types of games (Harpoon) normally work in practice? At the start of the game do i place my own ship and move it as i like? Or do i normally take orders from a General (controlling player) and play a part in a team plan? Or will it depend on who the other players are on my side and how we manage (mis-manage?!?!) ourselves?

Also, even if i cannot detect friendly ships on my radar can i expect to be in radio contact with them (receiving orders or heads up on opposition movement)?

Thanks for any answers and helping me become a little more familiar on in-game expectations.

I cannot speak for Silent Hunter or his intentions with respect to this particular wargame, of course, but only from my own experience.

How do these types of games (Harpoon) normally work in practice? At the start of the game do i place my own ship and move it as i like? Or do i normally take orders from a General (controlling player) and play a part in a team plan? Or will it depend on who the other players are on my side and how we manage (mis-manage?!?!) ourselves?

Could be any of the above. Typically your platform (say, a ship) is already placed on a map and you control it from there. In larger scale games, you might be in control of a group of ships (like a surface action group) or even a whole theater full of ships and submarines. In smaller scale games, it would probably be an individual ship. Either way, what your fellow team mates do will definitely impact on your success (or lack thereof).

Also, even if i cannot detect friendly ships on my radar can i expect to be in radio contact with them (receiving orders or heads up on opposition movement)?

Depends on the emission control (EMCON) measures you and your team mates have in place. In smaller scale games, I would say it is more likely that you will need to depend on limited radio or satcom contact, just running your navigation radar or operating with all radars emitting, etc.

I cannot speak for Silent Hunter or his intentions with respect to this particular wargame, of course, but only from my own experience.

Could be any of the above. Typically your platform (say, a ship) is already placed on a map and you control it from there. In larger scale games, you might be in control of a group of ships (like a surface action group) or even a whole theater full of ships and submarines. In smaller scale games, it would probably be an individual ship. Either way, what your fellow team mates do will definitely impact on your success (or lack thereof).

Depends on the emission control (EMCON) measures you and your team mates have in place. In smaller scale games, I would say it is more likely that you will need to depend on limited radio or satcom contact, just running your navigation radar or operating with all radars emitting, etc.

OK, you're in command of one particular ship for the first scenario. You'll be working together with others, with an overall commander on one ship, with a team plan that will probably go out of the porthole on first contact.

• 2 weeks later...
Count me in...I just have to register there over at "dream weavers"...or whatever that site was again. :)

That's great, Pete. If you are NATO, I look forward to sinking you. If Soviet, I look forward to talking about your capitalist tendencies to the commissar in hopes of personal advancement. :P

I'm officially in. Tony...you a deputy umpire?

Yup, you know with my extensive paper wargaming experience (let's see, finished zero Harpoon, Gulf Strike,... scenarios)(did finish a run thru War at Sea :) ) there are few more capable :lol: . At least I'm good at looking up rules in the H4.1 manual!