using the launcher

donaldseadog

Sorry if this is either obvious or unhelpful but if it is useful great. In my testing installation (I've only just sorted out installations as suggested in beta testing guide) I have basically the latest beta (der!!) but I still have the 2009.036 GE (left with winharp32.exe name) and I've named the beta GE winharp39.exe.

Now if I want to run a particular saved game or scenario (with an optional selected database, which I have in the beta main folder and with descriptive names) I use the launcher and just amend the GE name in the launcher window depending upon which GE I want to use. Then to compare how it runs in the alternative GE you just go back to the launcher (don't close it) and the same options and games/scenarios are set, just amend the name of the GE and press launch.

A similar thing can probably be done if the GEs being compared are in different folders, just change the GE folder (I'm assuming the paths for game\scenario\database are absolute and not relative to game folder) - this is probalby easier if you have enough hard drive space for three or more installations but I don't.

Don Thomas

I can certainly see the utility in that approach. Renaming GEs is also a handy hint and is something I do fairly often as well. I'm glad the launcher as it stands is assisting; my gut instinct is that it wouldn't be of use until it saves settings between sessions (in some future version).

I can certainly see the utility in that approach. Renaming GEs is also a handy hint and is something I do fairly often as well. I'm glad the launcher as it stands is assisting; my gut instinct is that it wouldn't be of use until it saves settings between sessions (in some future version).

Funny that, I was thinking today that an ability to save settings between sessions would be great. I also thought an ability to transfer appropriate settings between the GE and SE (when its done) tabs would be great when writing and testing new scenarios, especially if using custom database.

Anyway Rome wasn't built in a day I guess.

Don