Angles Of Attack, An A-6 Intruder Pilot's War

pmaidhof

Picked up Angles Of Attack, An A-6 Intruder Pilot's War by Peter Hunt last night through inter-library loan. It apparently details the authors view of Desert Storm operating off of USS Ranger in the Persian Gulf. I'm trying to gleen some loadout and strike tactics gouge from the book so taking some geek-notes on my bookmark.

Anyone else read this?

51EDP30KZCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Glad it started with their first mission in the Desert Storm air campaign, raiding the Iraqi port of Umm Qasr (had to radar bomb due to moisture in the air screwing with their FLIR.) The author now dialed it back to embarking on Ranger and conducting carrier quals off the coast from San Diego. Digressing into the more mundane activities and observations while embarked on a ship such as having to invent glowing new words for Fitness Reports and coffee cup protical in the ready room, all brought a chuckle to me at least as this was my active duty time frame so much of it brings back memories.

Good read so far. Nothing earth shattering yet.

Next on my list: I'm awaiting receipt of a copy of Walter Lord's Incredible Victory.

Still on a Midway kick I see.

Well I'm over 250 pages in. Author opened with the first mission, on the first night of Desert Storm to pull me in, then stepped back to boarding USS Ranger in San Diego, completing carrier-quals, non-flying administrivia, and the whole trans-pac experience to include Christmas in Subic Bay.

Now however, I'm a over three days into the air campaign and he does give a plethora (MOVIE QUOTE: "Jefe, what is a plethora...?") of mission descriptions, flight profiles, load outs, the effects of the crappy Persian Gulf weather in January 1991.

Enjoyable read so far.

Well I'm over 250 pages in. Author opened with the first mission, on the first night of Desert Storm to pull me in, then stepped back to boarding USS Ranger in San Diego, completing carrier-quals, non-flying administrivia, and the whole trans-pac experience to include Christmas in Subic Bay.

Now however, I'm a over three days into the air campaign and he does give a plethora (MOVIE QUOTE: "Jefe, what is a plethora...?") of mission descriptions, flight profiles, load outs, the effects of the crappy Persian Gulf weather in January 1991.

Enjoyable read so far.

Starting with a combat sequence is standard for these sort of books. Woodward started his account of the Falklands (One Hundred Days) with the loss of Sheffield before relaying his life to that point.

Starting with a combat sequence is standard for these sort of books. Woodward started his account of the Falklands (One Hundred Days) with the loss of Sheffield before relaying his life to that point.

Yeah, a predictable "hook". :)

Well, finished up Angle of Attack yesterday afternoon. I enjoyed it. Relative quick read. It did provide me with what I hoped for, description of some A-6 loadouts and general tactics (use of FLIR, radar bombing, ingress, release, and egress altitudes for the various threat concerns in 1991). Interesting how they quickly determined that it was AAA that they were more concerned with. An added "bene" was that it gave a different perspective on events that I experienced.

Can't believe nobody bit on the "plethora" comment.

I've never seen that particular film.

That is most likely a point or more in your favor SH. "The Three Amigos" with Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, and Martin Short was quite a sophmoric film, but IMO supidly-funny nevertheless.

the-three-amigos.jpg

Sophmoric? As in second year of high school/college?

I'm sorry, sophomoric in a way that we *mature adults* should find it somewhat childish (but in my case not...yet). :blink:

Pete