Harpoon 3 Mac Intel only at 3.6.2?

Alan Lewis

I thank all those involved in continuing to support the 3.6 users, I'm actually surprised by that continuing support. Besides the Mac version, why continue to support 3.6?

I think that everyone who continues to support H3 does so with a slightly different rationale. My personal reasons are:

1) If you write a scenario in H2/H3, you know for a certainty that it will work forever. I am still using H2 for some scenarios.

Scenarios written in H2/H3 may not work in ANW v3.7.0

Scenarios written in ANW v3.7.0 may not work in ANW v3.8.0

Scenarios written in ANW v3.8.0 may not work in ANW v3.9.0

Scenarios written in ANW v3.9.0 may not work in ANW v3.9.3

Scenarios written in ANW v3.9.3 may not work in ANW v3.9.4

2) ANW adds new functions but often at the cost of degrading existing functions and also adding some very bad bugs. Old versions just seem more stable and more functional/flexible than ANW (although some opinions differ).

IMO, I would choose the Sopwith Camel over the F-15 Eagle if the Eagle was only functional once a year and the Sopwith Camel was available every day.

My personal philosophy in scenario writing is to always do it with H2 or H3. I know that it will work for at least that version. If it also turns out to work for ANW, that is pure gravy. I will at least get one fun game out of it. I have no such guarantee when working with ANW.

What changes are you trying to accomplish with the PlayersDB? Perhaps I can help. A copy of the Reimer editor (H3 version) can be arranged. It is utterly vital for any database editing (if that is where you are headed).

Thank you both for answering. Where can I go to find out about the architectural differences? I think I can see both sides of the argument and as long as the duality of the current system isn't oppressive to anyone, I see no reason it can't continue perpetually in order to please as many as possible.

Unfortunately I don't have time at the moment to get as deep into scenario creation as I would like, so I'm not ready to contribute now. Graduate school and family are taking all of my time at the moment, that will change, but probably not soon.

I don't think there is any spiffy list of architectural differences (the release notes certainly say a lot but probably not what you are after).

http://www.computerharpoon.com/wiki/main/i...title=Main_Page is one source of information.

There is some Victory Condition information at

http://www.computerharpoon.com/wiki/main/i...Advanced_Manual

Past that, wait another week and a half until Darren (HUD3 editor) is done being banned at the Matrix ANW forum and post the DB structure changes question there. He, Dale (VCDH), and Herman should all have a decent idea of the changes. I've seen many of the field name changes from working on dbComp but don't know the particular usage of each field.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I play the game(s) in VMWare Fusion on my Mac Pro, in Unity Mode, so the windows just pop up on my Mac screen, so it's not like I'm having to reboot to Windows to play. If I had to do that, frankly, it would remain like it was, and not worth spending money on.

Since neither game loads the graphics, and I have plenty of CPU, it works fine. I'm still not happy with them tossing out Mac Support, but, they're not Blizzard, with the customer base to support it. <shrug>

As far as ANW, I'm not sure if it was worth the price in its current state. HCE was.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Btw, is Harpoon 3 Mac going to work on older PowerPC Macs? The installer is listed as Intel only but the demo works just fine on my Powerbook..

I don't have first-hand experience but PowerPC Macs are what the game was made for. Intel macs weren't even around when H3 Mac 3.6.x were released.

Btw, is Harpoon 3 Mac going to work on older PowerPC Macs? The installer is listed as Intel only but the demo works just fine on my Powerbook..

I don't have first-hand experience but PowerPC Macs are what the game was made for. Intel macs weren't even around when H3 Mac 3.6.x were released.

Yes, I tried the demo and it works just fine. Then I bought the game which does not work fine thanks to the stupid copy protection.. now I have to wait until the weekend ends and the guys at that game company answer my email. :angry: