play aids

In order to use the Harpoon interface efficiently, it is necessary to use both hands: one for the mouse, and one for the keyboard. In addition, there are some important commands that can only be issued via the keyboard, and there is not even a mouse work-around for some of these.

Somebody with the handle Blond_Knight has provided a list of the keyboard commands. (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1664018) Tony suggested that I put them in graphical form. Here they are.

<OLD VERSION OF COMMANDS.PNG DELETED BY AUTHOR. SEE BELOW FOR NEW VERSION.>

<OLD VERSION OF KEYCARD.PNG DELETED BY AUTHOR. SEE BELOW FOR NEW VERSION.>

Personally, I think that the first one, sorted by category (commands.png), is more useful. When I want to issue a command, I want to know what is possible, and I will locate it from a categorized directory far more easily than by an exhaustive search of the keyboard.

Feedback, please. Anything goes.

After posting this, I have realized that the keyboard image (key_card.png) looks too small, which affects the resolution. Both images are actually the same size, 8.5 x 11, less margins.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ooh, I'm liking both approaches, the second looks cooler but I suppose the first is more useable. On the second it would be great to add the row of funtion keys (F1-F12 above the 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... +). Actually same for both cards.

A minor nitpick, spacebar should probably say "Next Group/Unit" It cycles North to South then rolls over to North.

Any volunteers to make sure the listed keys actually do something (even what they say they should do?)? Ideal during that process would be to expound a little upon what each one does as keycard descriptions are neccessarily short but if someone eventually builds an interactive keyboard chart, longer descriptions would be very handy.

The we can dig thru the code and find any as yet undocumented keyboard commands and add them.

shortcuts that I didn't know existed.

Some comments here:

ALT - 3 (immediate nuclear release) is at least a bit of a cheat.

. (drop buoy) is a must-know command.

The "next unit" commands are essential on congested maps.

The "show / hide" commands can be useful.

M (free memory) is probably of no relevance.

I don't know what the "force refuel" command does. Does the automatic refueling ever not work?

it would be great to add the row of funtion keys (F1-F12 above the 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... +). Actually same for both cards.

I deliberately excluded these because they duplicate the CTRL - # commands. There will be a space issue if both are included (and even if the other possibility is used alone). Some of you may know that I have mostly played Harpoon (the old one, HC) on an old Mac. I don't recall right now if the F# keys exist on that keyboard, or if those functions work. Not that it matters, but that is where my preference comes from. As a second aside, it turns out to be considerably easier to execute CMD - # on the Mac than CTRL - # on the PC because the CMD key is placed so that the thumb can press it easily while a finger presses a number. The CTRL key location makes this awkward. Personally, I have never used the F# keys on the PC, for no great reason. Maybe this is a bit of a silly question, but to people use the F# keys or the CTRL - # keys?

spacebar should probably say "Next Group/Unit" It cycles North to South then rolls over to North.

Correct. In fact, the "group" label is probably more important, because most commands are issued to groups.

Any volunteers to make sure the listed keys actually do something (even what they say they should do?)?

I have tested all the listed commands, except ALT - R. (In the demo, that is, and generally in HC. I presume the demo is functionally identical to the full game?) They all work as indicated. "Enter staff note" allows you to type some text in, but I don't know what value that has, so I excluded it. "Show / hide grid" doesn't seem to work in the HCE demo, so I excluded it.

Ideal during that process would be to expound a little upon what each one does as keycard descriptions are neccessarily short but if someone eventually builds an interactive keyboard chart, longer descriptions would be very handy.

I suppose that I could start that process, and post the results for editing. It would be straight text.

it would be great to add the row of funtion keys (F1-F12 above the 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... +). Actually same for both cards.

but to people use the F# keys or the CTRL - # keys?

I find the function keys much quicker to access and do not use the Ctrl - # key combinations at all.

<snip> but to people use the F# keys or the CTRL - # keys?

I find the function keys much quicker to access and do not use the Ctrl - # key combinations at all.

I, too, use the Function keys wherever possible. I only use Ctrl+ combination when there is no other choice.

If additional function keys are to be added, I would like to suggest that they match Hotkeys available with their Harpoon ANW bretheren whenever possible. This would simply make it easier for folks who enjoy both versions of the game.

Based on the responses I have seen so far, and unless I hear otherwise, I think that what I will do is replace the CTRL-# options with F#, and add a note to the effect that the duplication exists.

Here is the second draft of the "keycard" (sorted by function). I believe that I have taken into account all of the feedback received so far. There is a related discussion that is taken place in the "order descriptions" thread. When that is completed, this keycard will be ready to be sent to the public.

<OLD VERSION OF COMMANDS.PNG DELETED BY AUTHOR. SEE BELOW FOR NEW VERSION.>

Here is the second draft of the graphical representation of the keyboard commands.

red flags

Please refer to the discussion above and in "order descriptions".

1) The d/f dichotomy. The Unit Display data is not consistent with the Active Unit Display data. This applies in particular to the sonar data and probably to other data as well. This should be resolved at some point, but not necessarily for purposes of these 2 play aids.

2) Free Memory. This command should be removed from the list, unless someone objects.

3) u. This command will remain off the list, unless someone objects.

4) Force refueling. Somewhere there should be a note that this command should only be used as a last resort.

5) CTRL- A. This command should be removed from the list, unless someone objects.

After waiting for some final feedback (if any), these 2 play aids could be sent to the public area.

<OLD VERSION OF KEY CARD.PNG DELETED BY AUTHOR. SEE BELOW FOR NEW VERSION.>

When you are playing a scenario, Ctrl-Alt-s will toggle the show all units cheat on or off. It may affect game mechanics to a minor extent but it can be extremely helpful chasing down problems, testing scenarios, etc.

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?s...02&hl=cheat

I don't see the cheat mode combination ....

When you are playing a scenario, Ctrl-Alt-s will toggle the show all units cheat on or off. It may affect game mechanics to a minor extent but it can be extremely helpful chasing down problems, testing scenarios, etc.

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?s...02&hl=cheat

I don't see the cheat mode combination ....

I have deliberately excluded it. See my short Feb. 6 post in http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?showtopic=3581.

But I can put it in if necessary.