Mount behaviour, missile launcher vs gun

donaldseadog

At the moment I'm just wondering if others have noticed this (it could be my imagination) and if so if it causes you any issues.

Restrict yourself to ship vs ship. Compare say a single barrel single turret gun  and single rail single mount missile launcher. EG 4.5" gun and mk 13 GMLS ( a late mod RAN Perth class I think has both, the mk 13 including harpoon in the mount magazine

image.thumb.png.ef43b3b8f31013b85ebcfc018202deff.png).

Say you have two targets or just want to throw plenty of metal. With the gun it works correctly, you can only fire one shell at a time and further allocated shells are fired at intervals (according to mount rate of fire), but with the missile launcher you can fire as many at once as you have on hand in the mount.

Same with torpedo tubes in submarines (and surface ships), you can lauch ALL the torpedoes in magazine, indifferent and independent to the number of launching tubes (same if you are launching missiles (Mostly TLAM) via sub torpedo tubes, or launching land attack missiles (Mostly TLAM) from a VLS).

But in the original game, 20+ years ago, that was not possible, and you only could launch the same number of torpedoes as the number of torpedo tubes, and later wait for a recharge time (I think the same recharge time for all the subs). I regret the lost of this game aspect.

But not remember if was that limitation on the ship missile launchers against surface targets (using Standard as SAM, the number of missiles is limited by the number of targets the mount can engage, and the total number of missiles the mount can launch, as showed in this picture:

2024-02-29.png

12 hours ago, broncepulido said:

Same with torpedo tubes in submarines (and surface ships), you can lauch ALL the torpedoes in magazine, indifferent and independent to the number of launching tubes (same if you are launching missiles (Mostly TLAM) via sub torpedo tubes, or launching land attack missiles (Mostly TLAM) from a VLS).

But in the original game, 20+ years ago, that was not possible, and you only could launch the same number of torpedoes as the number of torpedo tubes, and later wait for a recharge time (I think the same recharge time for all the subs). I regret the lost of this game aspect.

But not remember if was that limitation on the ship missile launchers against surface targets (using Standard as SAM, the number of missiles is limited by the number of targets the mount can engage, and the total number of missiles the mount can launch, as showed in this picture:

Thanks Enrique, that's what I thought.

In next couple days I'll put in a report post.

I really only noticed this as I was looking at ways of overcoming the loss of reliable ship magazine for those of us that write our own database (or modify for our own use) and had thought of just adding weapons to the mount magazine but it got a bit silly.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of having a go at writing a tool into one of my export.dll add ons that would let you (I hope) edit the magazine entries in  the game, but I think it would need to be done every time you run the game in which case it is too fiddly, but I might give it a go and test it.

Hmm, are you guys saying that the Targets value is being ignored when firing SAMs against aircraft?  

How about if your SAM only has the Semi-active guidance flag?

How about if your SAM has Semi-active and mid-course?

Inertial I would think you can fly as many birds as you want, it would be a terminal homing limitation (once the missile in the basket and needs those continuous updates).

Radar guided I would think you can fly as many birds as you want.

On 3/6/2024 at 2:18 AM, TonyE said:

Hmm, are you guys saying that the Targets value is being ignored when firing SAMs against aircraft?  

How about if your SAM only has the Semi-active guidance flag?

How about if your SAM has Semi-active and mid-course?

Inertial I would think you can fly as many birds as you want, it would be a terminal homing limitation (once the missile in the basket and needs those continuous updates).

Radar guided I would think you can fly as many birds as you want.

I'm behind here, sorry.

I'm getting a simple test scenario together but The problem we're talking about is surface to surface, primarily missiles where number of rounds fired at once is ignoring restriction of mounts/tubes etc and also targets. Guns aren't so bad they respect the tubes/mounts etc but I think they might be also ignoring the No. targets.

I might have it loaded up in next two days.