GE 2021.009 crash editing speed in unit window for aircraft units

donaldseadog

GE 2021.009

I tried HCDB and HCDB2, three separate scenarios within westpac battleset, two custom and one battleset scenario (#1), all consistent crash.

Air units either in a patrol around a base or as '0' unit in an air group, select in unit window and select "speed" button and game crash every time.

(rather disappointing as I got very excited when I saw it :) )

21 hours ago, donaldseadog said:

GE 2021.009

I tried HCDB and HCDB2, three separate scenarios within westpac battleset, two custom and one battleset scenario (#1), all consistent crash.

Air units either in a patrol around a base or as '0' unit in an air group, select in unit window and select "speed" button and game crash every time.

(rather disappointing as I got very excited when I saw it :) )

zipped test save UntSpdCrash attached, std HCDB database westpack battleset GE 2021.009

Select air unit in unit window and mouse click 'f2 Speed' button and game will crash.

image.thumb.png.c515e7775cc4877266af9d31dba95f3d.png

UntSpdCrash.zip

• TonyE pinned this topic

GE fixed so that your test case of an aircraft unit in a fixed base group no longer crashes the GE.  Test scenario uses HCDB2.

Additional Test cases to try:

-1. Aircraft unit in air group

-2. Aircraft in a carrier group

-3. Aircraft in a ship group

-4. Ship in ship group

-5. Ship in fixed base group

-6. Submarine in submarine group

-7. Submarine in a ship group

-8. Submarine in a fixed base group 

HCE - 2021.013 - 2021-12-##
===========================
- Chg:31914 GE  Aircraft unit speeds can now be changed in the Unit window
                 without crashing the GE.  (thanks donaldseadog)
  https://harpgamer.com/harpforum/topic/31914-ge-2021009-crash-editing-speed-in-unit-window-for-aircraft-units/

UnitSpeedAltTest_v1.zip

Lots of logic involved here.  Some rules that I have implemented:

1. Don't allow changing speed/alt/depth from the Unit window for single unit groups.  You should be using the Group window.

2. Don't allow changing speed/alt/depth from the Unit window for the first unit in the group.  You should be using the Group window to set the stage then use the Unit window to affect 'child' units.  This isn't a perfect solution because the first unit in the group may not be the center of the universe.

3. Don't allow changing speed of slaved units.  These units are meant to maintain a specific distance from the group center.  This is a common status for Main Body (center ring) units.  You can still change altitude/depth.

I'm still working through a problem with air group speeds when changing the altitude of a unit in the air group, speeds get messed up.

• Like 1

Calling it good enough for now in 2021.014.  There are a number of unrealistic edge-cases you can make happen, especially speed illegal for a specified altitude but I'm no longer seeing corrupted speed displays and such.

• Like 1

• TonyE unpinned this topic