Harpoon game series

maunaloa6174

Hello, I'm a huge fan of the Harpoon game series. I have almost all editions in my collection (You can see it on pictures attached). I have a few questions about this great game that, despite having searched the web, haven't found an answer:
  • The first question is about the game Harpoon. Has Harpoon Designers' Series III ever been released as a standalone game or only in the Harpoon Classic collection? Never seen it on ebay or amazon
  • Was Harpoon 2: Battleset 4: Regional Conflicts 2 and 3 released as a standalone game or only as Harpoon 2 Deluxe Multimedia Edition? Today I've just bought Harpoon 2: Battleset 4 Regional Conflicts 1, and I'm just curious if other parts were published separately...
  • Do any of You have any of the parts that are missing in my collection: Harpoon 3 Pro, Harpoon Advanced Naval Warfare, Harpoon Commanders Edition? These are very hard to find anywhere... If You are wiling to sell, contact me.

Best regards and greetings from Poland to all Harpoon fans!

harpoon (4).jpg

h.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome to Harpgamer!

There is one version I didn't see in your collection.

There is a Harpoon Ultimate Commanders Edition that includes Harpoon Commanders Edition and Harpoon Advanced  Navel Warfare that is available from Martix Games. The link is below:

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/larry-bonds-harpoon-ultimate-edition

There are even more updates for Harpoon Commanders Edition on this forum page.

There still is a lot of interest in Harpoon. We are still making enhancements and fixing bugs that is found in the game.

At the top of the main Harpoon page there is a link to the Harpgamer chat room. You are welcome to join us any time. I am in the US Central time zone and am on line most evenings and on weekends when I am home.

Harpoon is compatible with Windows 10 64-bit version of he operating system. In one of the new Harpoon  updates that in on this a version of the Scenario Editor that works with Windows 10 64-bit.

All 3 of the Harpoon Designers Series are now part of Harpoon Ultimate Commanders Edition. In the Commanders Edition of Harpoon new areas like the Western Pacific, Caribbean Basin, South Atlantic, and South Africa.

Please don't hesitate to contact us at anytime.

Welcome again and Happy Harpooning!

Eric

16 hours ago, eeustice said:

Welcome to Harpgamer!

There is one version I didn't see in your collection.

There is a Harpoon Ultimate Commanders Edition that includes Harpoon Commanders Edition and Harpoon Advanced  Navel Warfare that is available from Martix Games. The link is below:

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/larry-bonds-harpoon-ultimate-edition

There are even more updates for Harpoon Commanders Edition on this forum page.

There still is a lot of interest in Harpoon. We are still making enhancements and fixing bugs that is found in the game.

At the top of the main Harpoon page there is a link to the Harpgamer chat room. You are welcome to join us any time. I am in the US Central time zone and am on line most evenings and on weekends when I am home.

Harpoon is compatible with Windows 10 64-bit version of he operating system. In one of the new Harpoon  updates that in on this a version of the Scenario Editor that works with Windows 10 64-bit.

All 3 of the Harpoon Designers Series are now part of Harpoon Ultimate Commanders Edition. In the Commanders Edition of Harpoon new areas like the Western Pacific, Caribbean Basin, South Atlantic, and South Africa.

Please don't hesitate to contact us at anytime.

Welcome again and Happy Harpooning!

Eric

Might pop in one night :) IRC is how I re-learned my typing skills after 30 years of not using it. 

On 11/14/2021 at 9:27 AM, maunaloa6174 said:
  • The first question is about the game Harpoon. Has Harpoon Designers' Series III ever been released as a standalone game or only in the Harpoon Classic collection? Never seen it on ebay or amazon
  • Was Harpoon 2: Battleset 4: Regional Conflicts 2 and 3 released as a standalone game or only as Harpoon 2 Deluxe Multimedia Edition? Today I've just bought Harpoon 2: Battleset 4 Regional Conflicts 1, and I'm just curious if other parts were published separately...
  • Do any of You have any of the parts that are missing in my collection: Harpoon 3 Pro, Harpoon Advanced Naval Warfare, Harpoon Commanders Edition? These are very hard to find anywhere... If You are wiling to sell, contact me.

Welcome!  Out of curiosity, why are you attempting to complete the collection of physical goods?  You already have the virtual goods via the Harpoon Ultimate Edition DVD.  I appreciate collectors, again, just curious about your motivation.  

I do have Harpoon Commander's Edition and I think Harpoon ANW, will have to dig in a storage bin.  I'll put out a feeler on Harpoon 3 Pro as well, may I share the e-mail you used o register on the forum with Uncle Harpoon/Don Gilman?

I play Harpoon for more than twenty-five years. First I considered it only as a game. Now, when playing harpoon or Command Modern Opearations I feel like using not game but professional program to simulate war conflict (I somewhere have read that professional version of CMO allows/will allow You to play multiplayer - WOW!) . For me, my collection Is a part of strategic wargame history: games with thick manuals with beautiful box pictures... Games that don't need GeForce RTX, but are beautiful. Games that are so complicated (I play it so long, but I'm still learning how to play it well) but can steal Your time for weeks and months. Games that You never get bored with, You come back to them regularly... Look, it has been 32 years since Harpoon was firste released (1989) and today, in 2021, we're running  internet forum harpgamer.com, isn't it cool?! We create scenarios, mods, we discuss, chat with each other, no matter whether we are 20 or 50 years old! 

I'm very interested in games You mentioned, they will complete my collection - searching internet everyday to grab them. Of course You can share the email with Mr Gilman... It's a little bit intimidating for me that, with help of Internet, I can today contact/write to/chat with for example Don Gilman or Larry Bond, creator of such great games, that I played in my youth and I play now!

• Like 2

I found a Commander's Edition DVD case included printed manual but only one so I don't want to sell that.  I did not find any ANW DVDs, may have given them away already in a downsizing of the collection.  Looking through my artifacts did make me notice that you don't seem to have WinHarp with EC2000.  It was a release that came out almost the same time as HC97 except it was the 16-bit game engine in concert with the EC2000 BattleSets rather than HC97's 32-bit game engine.  I don't have the CD handy but have attached a photo of the booklet cover and insert describing the BattleSets and game improvements.

PXL_20211115_203522080.jpg

• Like 1

Howdy!

So there was a Harpoon timeline we had posted on the old site but we didn't list every Battle Set or re-packaging.  That site is down and it will be a while before I have time to dig though the archives of the website looking for the HTML containing that history.  I could use some help bringing the website and wiki back to life (I have hosting).

Here is my collection (granted includes some other titles I contributed to over the years).  The excess were donated to Stanford and the National Game Museum in Frisco TX.  There was also a "Harpoon BattleBook" by James DeGoey and there is a MIT Press book called "Zones of Control" edited by Kirschenbaum and Harrigan that had one entire chapter dedicated to Harpoon.  Other chapters were written by like Perla, Dunnigan, Caffrey, Herman, Bond, Tiller, Miller, Prados, Cole, Peck, and some clown named Gilman.  In total 59 glorious chapters of wargaming ultra nerdism from paper to computers, from our homes to classrooms, and the Pentagon.  

Regarding Harpoon 3 Professional aka H3MilSim.  Those were never released to the public and never had physical medium.  Everything was electronically delivered and the customers printed their own manuals and duplicated their own images, then we would provide DM keys to allow the use of the product.

Don "UncleHarpoon" Gilman 

20211116_101450.jpg

20211116_101435.jpg

• Thanks 1

Oh the memories, Destroyer shooting down aircraft with the AA guns, the nice delay effect on the aiming reticule.  I may have spent too much time playing that game and lobbing a few 5" shells when I needed a break from air defense.  That was on the Apple II compatible Franklin computer that I bet not many of you had!

Somewhere I still have the books that came with Harpoon back in 1993, lots of good information in them. And tucked away is a signed poster of the Harpoon officer with the dark shades and signed by Larry and Chris. And, as rare as hens teeth, a Harpoon 4 CD...of course, it didn't work worth  a damn and crashed as soon as you looked at it hard but...Not parting with any of them

When I moved in 2012 I tossed the original Battle Book I had. I came with some 3 1/2" floppy disks with a new battle set.

TonyE talked me into getting another copy. I found a copy on Amazon.

My first copy of Harpoon was on 5 1/4" floppy disks.

After seeing all the Harpoon boxes I wish I would have saved mine.

Who would have thought 30 years later we would still be playing Harpoon.

20211116_183316_resized.jpg