While I'm waiting for Ultimate edition to go on sale, I am desperately trying to get the last mileage out of my HCE. However now I have encountered a strange problem. I can play the battleset scenarios fine, but when I try to tweak them in the scenario editor, the game crashes with an Annex error. Even small changes like moving a carrier will produce a crash. 

This install is using an outdated database (2009.050) However the battlesets are playable, its just a mystery why I cant edit. I've tried to install the HC2018 Beta database, but it just destroys the install and says it has expired.

Any help deeply appreciated to help me get my Harpoon fix until the eventual holiday sale.

A_Err.png

AE2.png

aviator,

I have had this issue in the past with the older version of the Scenario Editor.

Sometimes you have to make a single and save the file under a different name. Usually I just a a number after the name.

Sometimes you need to make 2 changes for the scenario to save with out a problem.

It's a hit or miss as to how many changes you can make .

TonyE converted the Scenario Editor to work with Windows 7/10 32/64 bit operating systems that is available when you download updates from the link below.

Install 2018.002 update first and then the latest update 2021.006.

You will need to open the directory and find the link to the updated Scenario Editor.The file name you are looking for is: Wscenedt32.

I hope this helps.

Eric

Video uploaded, Eric's approach can work and I show it in the video, updating HCE to the current beta.  It is an unsupported configuration but happens to work with the builds available right now.  There are no guarantees on that continuing to work but chances are good that it will.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TonyE said:

Hi aviator, can you tell us one specific scenario you are trying to edit and the BattleSet name?  Thank you

Any batttleSet really, of the top of my head I had the same happen on WestPac, NACV2003 and GIUK3003.

15 hours ago, eeustice said:

aviator,

I have had this issue in the past with the older version of the Scenario Editor.

Sometimes you have to make a single and save the file under a different name. Usually I just a a number after the name.

Sometimes you need to make 2 changes for the scenario to save with out a problem.

It's a hit or miss as to how many changes you can make .

TonyE converted the Scenario Editor to work with Windows 7/10 32/64 bit operating systems that is available when you download updates from the link below.

Install 2018.002 update first and then the latest update 2021.006.

You will need to open the directory and find the link to the updated Scenario Editor.The file name you are looking for is: Wscenedt32.

I hope this helps.

Eric

I have tried the current Betas, The 2018.002 alone locks the client with a message that it is expired. The 2021.006 seems to be Ultimate only as it will not install on HCE.

Thank you for the replies so far.

7 hours ago, TonyE said:

Video uploaded, Eric's approach can work and I show it in the video, updating HCE to the current beta.  It is an unsupported configuration but happens to work with the builds available right now.  There are no guarantees on that continuing to work but chances are good that it will.

TonyE: Thank you very much for your guidance on the patches. I have tried this method on both my WinXP 32bit Virtual machine and in Linux with Wine. The first patch installs fine, but 2021 one gives me this error on both OS'es. Is the 2021 patch 64bit only?

Screenshot from 2021-09-19 11-06-12.png

On 9/20/2021 at 3:22 AM, TonyE said:

It does raise the question of who needs the game to still run as Windows XP API level compatible...

Probably no one. I just made a virtual machine with WinXP 32 for the sole purpose to install HCE. It was based on the misguided conception that a 32bit OS was required. 

• Like 1